Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2018, 09:46 PM

162 posts, read 245,340 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I am hoping to get some thoughts/advice. I am about to take a physical and drug test for a new job position. However, I suffer from Bipolar 2 and anxiety. I am currently working in a stressful environment, and have been doing so with no issues. I am currently on 4 prescription drugs for the BP, and one for the anxiety which is a benzo (clanazopam.)

Do I admit my mental illness and anxiety if I have to list meds, etc on the physical paper? If I have to do a drug test there, do I stay quiet and see if it shows up on the drug test?

I am really not sure how to proceed. Any advice?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 11:22 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,858,780 times
Congratulations on the new position

Some of the pre-employment physicals are very simple brief affairs where they basically check your pulse to make sure that you are actually alive, make you pee in a cup and that's it. Others are 2-hour ordeals like the one my current company put me through with actual physical examination, lung function testing, EKG, blood tests, hearing/vision screening, hair/urine drug screening. Most companies fall somewhere in between based on my experiences.

Most will ask on the forms about prescription drugs that you are taking. The health information you give out does not go to everyone in the new company; generally only the HR person has access to that information and can't share it under law. You don't have to disclose to anyone at your new employer about your Bipolar and/or anxiety if you don't want to.

About drug testing: Most companies run 11 or 12 panel urine screens. The drugs that are being screened for a drugs of abuse and not prescription drugs. If you are taking normal prescription doses of the benzodiaziprine, then it should not be an issue. You don't have to write it down on the drug screening form. The only time that there is a "positive" for something like a benzo or other prescription drug is when someone is taking it to abuse it at much higher doses. I did have a friend with one exception to that but as long as you have your prescribing doctor's name and phone number then you are okay. The lab will call you if there is an issue but it doesn't sound like it will be.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:31 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,985,168 times
The benzos will show up if you are taking a test that screen for them. There's no such thing as not showing up bc you're taking a therapeutic dose.
Does your job dq people for taking psych meds? I know cops/some drivers/etc do.
I wouldn't tell them until they ask. The place where you take the test doesn't usually ask for your meds, they just report the findings and the company goes from there. If they have a question, they will ask.
The bad thing about klonopin is it stays in your system longer than the other benzos. When is the test? Could you lay off and try to get it out of your system? If not, just take the test and see what happens.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,400,889 times
Answer the questions asked. Don't disclose anything not asked unless you plan on disclosing it for ADA reasons. Don't provide specifics unless explicitly requested. Learn how to be vague but complete.

Old 01-14-2018, 12:50 PM

162 posts, read 245,340 times
So, based on what I’ve read so far, I should NOT put the meds down on the initial paperwork for the exam? That won’t DQ me later if one shows up will it? I’m assuming at that point, the lab will just call for my doctors info?

I guess I just want to know do I list all of my meds, or leave them out on the initial paperwork?

Old 01-14-2018, 05:07 PM

3,532 posts, read 2,985,168 times
Does it ask for your meds? I haven't been asked for my meds prior to drug screenings for at least 15 years. The screening place is the middleman.
Like charlygal says, don't lie but don't disclose anything that you're not asked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search