Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2018, 04:42 AM

254 posts, read 809,757 times

Advertisements

I started a new job last summer in Supply Chain. When I first started, they gave me the responsibilites of an adman's job and I was ordering coffee and office supplies. I was not doing anthing remotely to what I was hired for. They had promoted the administrative assistant to a Buyer and I came in and did her old job. Not the Senior Buyer position I was hired for. Also, the offer letter said "Senior Buyer" as the posiiton title. When I went to order office cards, my Lead (not boss) and 2 other members in my group were in an uproar over the business cards, I was told that the only Senior Buyer there was the "lead" that I somewhat reported to. (that was never made clear to me what my 35 yr old "lead" title meant.) My coworkers feathers were ruffled and soon not speaking to me. I told them that I was offered the position and my title was Sr. Buyer and that I would not pick a title out of the air and put it on a business card. Why would I do such a thing! I literally printed off my offer letter and and showed them the title on my offer letter. (Salary etc I kept hidden). After a few months, I was told that the HR person in our Corporate Headquaters had made a mistake and accidentally put in Sr. Buyer. She said she copied and pasted it from another position that was also being sent out an offer letter and relayed her sincere apologies. I could care less about a title but wanted it straightend out so I would have coworkers that would speak to me. They changed it to "Buyer" and I had HR call my "Lead" to explain to him that it was in error. He was the Senior Buyer and no one else!! He made sure everyone was aware of that. Although I do not understand why they changed my title from the offer letter but apparently some things were promised to the "lead" person before I started. My salary stayed the same. On to my other issue......two people from my department have left over the past 3 months. One retired and the other left for a new job. I am now doing 3 full time jobs. I work nights and weekends and I am totally stressed to the max. I directly reported to the Director of Supply Chain who was based in Massachusetts. In fact he hired me but came to our company in New Jersey only twice. He also called me the wrong name for the first 2 months. He was fired 3 wks ago. He never asked how I was coming along and when I inquired about the 100% increase in my workload, he said that I would have to work it out with the "lead" in our company(New Jersey) about prioritizing. He only cares about his job getting done and offered absolutely NO support. He was supposed to divide certain responsibilities among the three of us but dumped them all on me. I am 55 so they dumped it on the "old" head. I feel sick in my stomach with the work load and cannot catch up. I no longer have a boss and no one to talk to about this. I am drowning. I finally went to HR and she said that restructure changes are coming and for me to just "hold tight". This is the most depressing and stressed job I have ever had. Most people work 12 hr days and weekends. They do not know if they will replace the 2 people that left my department and I will continue to do the three full time jobs. Meanwhile I was contacted by a Talent Acquisition person from a company last week after they saw my resume on line. I decided to interview for it last Thursday. It was a 4 person interview that lasted 3-1/2 hrs. I think I did fairly well. The job pays 20k more than I am making now and closer to my previous salaries. The reviews on this new company arent' so hot but not many are these days.

The new company asked me to fill out an online application yesterday. They said I am the only one they have interviewed and they need to find a couple more people so they have a comparison. Is the application a formality or do you think there is an interest? There were not any sections on the application asking for references, which I found odd. Should I take a "stress" course for current job or get out of there at almost 7 months now. I find myself closing my office door at least once a week and bursting into tears. The stress in taking a toll on my health. I can't sleep, not eating well and trying to keep up with this workload is just plain daunting!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. At 55 I do not have many choices. Thank you for reading.......!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search