Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

Please someone tell me how to get a job

I graduated in 2015 and have not gotten a single job in the USA since graduation.
Bachelor’s info:
Major: Engineering Physics, specialty electro-mechanical control systems
GPA: 3.43
FE exam: Passed in Electrical Engineering
Internship: Research assistant for physics professor
Graduated on the engineering honor role

Things I’ve tried to get a job:
• Went to a career fair (all the people there gave me cards with phone numbers or websites that didn’t actually exist--still don’t understand what happened there)
• Applying for electrical engineering internships
• Applying for entry level electrical engineering positions
• Applying to entry level or internship positions in related fields
• Applying for entry level programming positions
• Applying for positions as math or science teacher/tutor
• Applying to work at local hardware stores and grocery stores
• Tried using Linked-In to apply for jobs
• Knife salesman (got hired, but sold no knives)
• Worked as an English teacher in Moscow for +1 year (this actually worked)
• Living at a monastery for 6 months
• Trying all the stuff again that I had tried before going to Russia
• Asked for help with resumes from this website & my university
• Contacted professional requiting agencies (they didn’t get back to me)
• Applied to work as a garbage man & warehouse worker numerous times (also didn’t get back to me)
• Tried taking a programming course online
• Went to career fairs
• Got diagnosed with autism in the hopes of getting affirmative action hired & applied some more (It didn’t work. Found out my IQ is 133 while taking the test.)
• Applied to go to grad school at my old university (got rejected)

There are probably a few things I’ve tried that I forgot.

I might have gotten rejected from my university because while I was talking to the lady who was partially responsible for making the decision, I told her something like my bachelor’s degree was worth less than toilet paper and that I wanted to go to grad school so that I’d have something to do to entertain myself while I waited to die, and that I wouldn’t go to the university unless I were given work by the university sufficient to pay for my tuition, since I had no faith that my new degree would be worth more than my old one. I don’t usually say things like that when I apply for these jobs though.

When I was applying to jobs actually related to my major, I never once got an offer for an interview, despite having applied hundreds of times. I have tried both focusing a lot of energy into small numbers of resumes, and shotgunning.

Honestly, I’ve always had difficulty understanding the point of cover letters, even though I’ve read several guides on now you are supposed to write them.

I did not network at university. I did not understand that it was important. I do not know how to do it now that I’m out of university with no job.

At the moment, I’m waiting for a reply from a local restaurant where I just interviewed (first interview in a long time) for a position as a driver. If that doesn’t work out, then I’ll send in my visa application so that I can work as an English teacher in China (already interviewed and got accepted for that, but I noticed that my motivation is so low that I will probably have difficulty getting through all the problems associated with working abroad).

My parents don’t tell me anything other than to work on my resume and to improve my attitude. They don’t even want to acknowledge that the job market is different than it was 50 years ago.

I’ve been volunteering at the local homeless shelter out of boredom.

Please somebody give me useful advice. I’ve long gotten past the point of not knowing what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 04:45 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan_G View Post
I graduated in 2015 and have not gotten a single job in the USA since graduation.
Please somebody give me useful advice.
WHERE are you looking and are you there in person?

If you don't have the skill/experience to be recruited the onus is on YOU
to move yourself to where the jobs actually are especially so when young and single.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:21 AM

405 posts, read 573,344 times
The jobs or internships that you haven't gotten, do you receive any feedback as to why? I know you're applying to China and Russia, but are you applying to all states as well? If not, start applying across the country and that should help.

Old 01-31-2018, 12:38 PM

277 posts, read 306,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan_G View Post
Please someone tell me how to get a job
I did not network at university. I did not understand that it was important. I do not know how to do it now that I’m out of university with no job.
Find some people in your desired industry that do what you want to do (via family friends, university contacts, LinkedIn, etc.). Take them out for a coffee. Ask them the questions you're asking here.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:05 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,657 times
Try temp agencies, and family.

Old 01-31-2018, 01:13 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,206,170 times
Get involved in professional organizations in your area (such as: https://www.ieee.org/index.html )

Join a toastmasters group to help you learn how to communicate effectively and network.

Networking doesn't begin and end in college and you need to start somewhere.

Old 02-03-2018, 08:56 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Maybe your autism is obvious to employers.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:36 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,119,844 times
I am a bit curious about a jr engineer that doesn't know any jr engineers that got hired or doesn't going to any industry meetings or conferences.

Old 02-03-2018, 04:49 PM

674 posts, read 608,449 times
Ex-mechanical engineer here.

A few strikes against you:

1. No engineering work experience. The little work experience that you have is worthless for engineering positions (knife salesperson, English teacher, etc);

2. No network;

3. If you say things like "... my bachelor’s degree was worth less than toilet paper and that I wanted to go to grad school so that I’d have something to do to entertain myself while I waited to die...", you might as well wear a sign that says "DO NOT HIRE ME".

Your degree has gone stale. IMO your best bet is to try to get into a Master's program, and learn from your past mistakes: get into a co-op program if possible, build a network, get some engineering experience. And get help for your autism. Lastly, do not mention your high IQ when you go on interviews or you will appear arrogant.

Old 02-03-2018, 11:51 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
People think an engineering degree is instant job etc... and that is far from the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search