Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 04:36 AM

94 posts, read 169,225 times

Advertisements

I had a third and what I believe to be final interview for a position with a company that I've been wanting to work at for a long time.

From what I understand from the HR person, I'm the only one that's been interviewed. I was interviewed by HR, then the hiring manager via skype because they were outside of the area, then my final interview was a face to face with someone on the same team where I'd be working if I got it.

I feel the interview went very well, my skillset was impressive and through the 3 interviews I was told several times that I seemed like a great fit.

When I was asked the "do you have any questions for me" question, most everything about the role had been answered so I did ask how much travel, if any, would be involved because I'm currently at a job with 80 percent travel, and it's wearing on me to travel so much. And I also asked if people work from home because the office I interviewed in was virtually empty except for the interviewer and the receptionist, but they have 80 people at this office. Was that an OK question to ask about the working from home?

They did say that no one works from home like all week or weeks at a time but most work from home once or twice a week, unless something specific has happened and they'd need to stay home. Which I think is a great work/life balance.

Maybe I'm overthinking because it seems I have the position in the bag, but I don't want to have done anything to ruin it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2018, 05:41 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
You don't have anything in the bag until the offer is extended. The questions were okay.

Old 02-04-2018, 06:30 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
I wouldn't. Companies now are spoiled, rotten children who want to pay the minimum possible salary for the most hours worked. There is no work life balance anymore. They want you to live for the company. Of course, they don't want to put any effort in on their end with compensating accordingly. But you better drop everything your doing and be on their beckon call however

Old 02-04-2018, 06:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Those are quite reasonable questions. Don’t worry about it.

Good luck.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:22 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meechi53 View Post
I had a third and what I believe to be final interview for a position with a company that I've been wanting to work at for a long time.

From what I understand from the HR person, I'm the only one that's been interviewed. I was interviewed by HR, then the hiring manager via skype because they were outside of the area, then my final interview was a face to face with someone on the same team where I'd be working if I got it.

I feel the interview went very well, my skillset was impressive and through the 3 interviews I was told several times that I seemed like a great fit.

When I was asked the "do you have any questions for me" question, most everything about the role had been answered so I did ask how much travel, if any, would be involved because I'm currently at a job with 80 percent travel, and it's wearing on me to travel so much. And I also asked if people work from home because the office I interviewed in was virtually empty except for the interviewer and the receptionist, but they have 80 people at this office. Was that an OK question to ask about the working from home?

They did say that no one works from home like all week or weeks at a time but most work from home once or twice a week, unless something specific has happened and they'd need to stay home. Which I think is a great work/life balance.

Maybe I'm overthinking because it seems I have the position in the bag, but I don't want to have done anything to ruin it.
IMHO those are reasonable questions to hear from a candidate they are interested in. It also shows THEM you are interested and considering how well you might fit into their organization. I know I would be cautious if an applicant I was serious about didn't have questions for me. I don't want to get all the way through a hiring process just to find out about a dealbreaker. That's a waste of everyone's time.

If you started telling them what you consider a "good work/life balance" or dictating your terms, THAT would be presumptuous.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:45 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Travel is something that should be disclosed. Benefits should be disclosed as well. If a place doesn't mean my "minimum requirements," it's best for all parties involved to cut the bull and move on.

Old 02-09-2018, 12:13 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Travel is something that should be disclosed. Benefits should be disclosed as well. If a place doesn't mean my "minimum requirements," it's best for all parties involved to cut the bull and move on.

REally? That has never happened in an interview that I was in....until today. I was told about their benefits package during the interview. I usually don't knwo about their benefits until an offer has been accepted or a week or two after I start the job. (medical deductions)

Old 02-15-2018, 01:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,098,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I wouldn't. Companies now are spoiled, rotten children who want to pay the minimum possible salary for the most hours worked. There is no work life balance anymore. They want you to live for the company. Of course, they don't want to put any effort in on their end with compensating accordingly. But you better drop everything your doing and be on their beckon call however
You must refrain from overgeneralizing. Managers, not companies, define the W/L balance of their reports. Sure there may be an occasional doozy handed down from above, but there's nothing in the CEO 101 handbook about paying X and demanding Y.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:23 PM

334 posts, read 221,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
REally? That has never happened in an interview that I was in....until today. I was told about their benefits package during the interview. I usually don't knwo about their benefits until an offer has been accepted or a week or two after I start the job. (medical deductions)
Oh, I've had that happen often! In fact, sometimes I've been given a sheet that shows how much I'd pay out of my check for medical/dental/vision benefits. Also, many times I've found it on the company's website.

Plus, don't you want to know this information before you leave one job for another? When an offer has been made to me and I already have a job, pay is not always the most important part of the package. Example, if my current job offers me 20 PTO days a year and has 10 paid holidays, but the new company only has 6 paid holidays and two PTO days and is only paying $5,000 more a year, that's something I need to know because to me, time off is more important than pay!

Old 02-16-2018, 02:45 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Wow, I'd never accept an offer without knowing details of the benefits package. It's an important part of your overall compensation.

How did things turn out, OP?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search