Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:58 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times

Advertisements

I've been interviewing for a role since early November. Since that time, I've been through:

1) Recruiter pre-screen (45 minutes)
2) "Pre-chat" with VP (30 minutes)
3) Second screen with another recruiter (30 minutes)
4) Hour-long video interview with team member
5) Hour-long video interview with VP
6) Hour-long video interview with senior manager
7) Request for prior work samples/portfolio
8) Timed assignment/sample evaluation (took 4-5 hours)

All of these steps have occurred from November-mid-January. It's now early February, and they told me last week they want another video interview with two other senior members. I was told that this is the last interview. Details were supposed to have been provided to me last week, but I've heard nothing, so no interview is firmed up.

I am so over this process and am losing enthusiasm for the role and the company. Should I see it through or opt out? Are they playing games? Is this a warning about the culture?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:53 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I think I'd want to see how it turns out, if I'd already invested that much time in the process.

I have found that there are many variables affecting a hiring process that really seem to have nothing to do with actually doing the job. I wouldn't let the process turn me off, if the opportunity is a good one.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:59 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,666,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
I've been interviewing for a role since early November. Since that time, I've been through:

1) Recruiter pre-screen (45 minutes)
2) "Pre-chat" with VP (30 minutes)
3) Second screen with another recruiter (30 minutes)
4) Hour-long video interview with team member
5) Hour-long video interview with VP
6) Hour-long video interview with senior manager
7) Request for prior work samples/portfolio
8) Timed assignment/sample evaluation (took 4-5 hours)

All of these steps have occurred from November-mid-January. It's now early February, and they told me last week they want another video interview with two other senior members. I was told that this is the last interview. Details were supposed to have been provided to me last week, but I've heard nothing, so no interview is firmed up.

I am so over this process and am losing enthusiasm for the role and the company. Should I see it through or opt out? Are they playing games? Is this a warning about the culture?
At this point you may as well see this one through. Personally, I would have withdrawn interest a long time ago as they are highlighting some huge inefficiencies at their firm.

Old 02-05-2018, 04:04 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,432,497 times
sunk cost fallacy. By March you will be interviewing with the night janitor. I'd move on to other prospects. This company doesn't respect your time and cannot make a decision.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:07 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,901,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
sunk cost fallacy. By March you will be interviewing with the night janitor. I'd move on to other prospects. This company doesn't respect your time and cannot make a decision.
Agreed. And as you've mentioned numerous times before, it's like going to a car dealership and asking to test drive the same car three or more times. At some point, the car salesman is going to move onto more serious prospects who really know what they want.

In all the places I've worked, the companies who constantly nit pick, second guess, and drag out the hiring process with endless interviews typically end up bringing aboard the worst candidate.

Old 02-05-2018, 06:36 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,121,427 times
Even if you get the job, imagine how understaffed your team will be. I wouldn't want to work there. As soon as somebody quits your team, it's months of long hours until get the position filled.

Their hiring pipeline must lose good candidates left and right, due to their inefficiency.

Old 02-05-2018, 07:17 PM

405 posts, read 573,467 times
Is this for an out of state role?

Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hautemomma View Post
Are they playing games?
Depends, are you being considered for the junior 2nd assistant night manager in the company cafeteria or the senior director of product development? Its just an idiots guess without knowing what type of position you're talking about.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:01 AM

994 posts, read 1,541,318 times
No, it's not for an out-of-state role - no relocation involved. The entire team is virtual and distributed. The role, I guess, would be considered relatively senior/mid-level managerial oversight of key deliverables. I think the idea of sunk costs is pretty on point; I hadn't thought of it that way, but seems on target. I'll put it this way: I do not plan on reaching out any further to check on the status of my candidacy.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:15 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
OP, it is well past time to move on. This is not going to get any better if you end up working there. They have shown you how they treat employees and you need to pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search