Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 02:33 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckeeesmom View Post
I had a screening interview today for a position that I really want. Unfortunately I felt that it did not go well. I found myself being very nervous and I'm afraid that my answers were too long and indirect. The position was for a job that I am interested in but would require on the job learning and/or supplemental training classes. I seem to have had plenty of confidence applying for positions that are the same as what I currently have so thinking some of the nervousness was due to trying to sell myself for a position that I am not as qualified for because it would be different than my current role. That being said, the reason why I am looking is that I am not challenged and/or engaged in my current role and that is why I want to do something different.

I am not sure if there is anything I can say in my interview "thank you" response to help my case. I know my perception of how the interview went but I am not sure how they perceived on their end and/or if it was not as bad as I thought.

Any suggestions?
Luck, at this point. Stretch candidates are more work for others. People hate work, we're fundamentally lazy.

If no one more qualified comes along, they'll decide to either 1) find another batch and start over or 2) take a chance on your, though if anyone feels wishy-washy on your interview panel someone will remind them to "backbone up" and "maybe = no.".

I wasn't there, but I've seldom gotten the stretch job these days. Earlier, pre-Recession, I did once or twice especially for entry level. Hiring is very different post Great Recession, there are books on it. It's creepy. I vault up about one level at a time when I quit and go elsewhere, only because I'm fully qualified and can prove it and it just wan't happening at the last place. These days I have little hope of vaulting above my track record anymore. And that's life: no one wants to train people, that costs too much money and time.

Good luck, if I'm wrong: it's an outside shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 06:33 PM

251 posts, read 204,126 times
It's a two way street. Remember this. It shouldn't all be on you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search