Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 04:11 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times

Advertisements

I applied to a job about 2 weeks ago and have not heard back yet. An attempt to find the hiring manager's E-mail address has been unsuccessful so far. Is it good or is it considered annoying if I follow up by asking to connect on LinkedIn (manager is not connected to me currently)? Can I write my connect request the same as I'd write a follow-up E-mail, or does it need to look like something else? The last time I had to hunt down an E-mail address from the internet, it took me almost 4 hours to do, because they don't post them on their web sites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 07:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
As a hiring manager, I consider it to be very annoying. We have a process for applying for jobs, and people are expected to follow it. Fortunately it has only happened once. I ignored the email, and as it turned out that person was not among the best qualified so did not get an interview. I review connection requests carefully, most are sales people or consultants looking for clients. If someone is in the same kind of business i will accept, but if that person later shows up as a job applicant it's not going to help them.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 AM

334 posts, read 221,450 times
Hemlock140, are you saying that it's also not good to contact the hiring manager if their email is readily available on the company website? I contacted the CEO of a company the other day and she forwarded my email/resume to the Operations Manager who is doing the phone screenings. He wrote to me and said that if I'm selected, they will be setting up phone interviews sometime next week.

I'm afraid that I may have screwed my chances of being considered. But, then again, all of the executives have their email addresses on the website and it sure wasn't hard to find.

Old 03-09-2018, 10:20 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,297,334 times
As a hiring manager, I would say it depends. If I liked the candicate and we connected well during the interview, i'd welcome a connection request on LI. but if I thought the candidate wasn't a good fit or didn't click with him/her, i'd simply ignore the request. So, it could perhaps be a good test of whether you're going to get the interview/job if you send that request.

Note: please be aware that as a prime user, I would/could see every person who "checked out" my profile....so make sure you don't keep checking his profile. that'd look creepy! lol

Old 03-09-2018, 10:51 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Hemlock140, are you saying that it's also not good to contact the hiring manager if their email is readily available on the company website? I contacted the CEO of a company the other day and she forwarded my email/resume to the Operations Manager who is doing the phone screenings. He wrote to me and said that if I'm selected, they will be setting up phone interviews sometime next week.

I'm afraid that I may have screwed my chances of being considered. But, then again, all of the executives have their email addresses on the website and it sure wasn't hard to find.
All of our management names, titles, emails and phone numbers are on the corporate website, for the convenience of those asking questions about our properties, but that's not an invitation for job applicants to contact us. All contact is through HR until the offer is made. If in your case the manager forwarded your email/resume to the Operations Manager they were simply passing it on to the appropriate person. We do not accept resumes through the mail or in person, they have to be uploaded to our website, but if someone emailed it to me I would respond with something like "please submit through our website" with a link. I would not hold it against them if they happened to end up as the best qualified person, but it certainly wouldn't help them either.

Old 03-09-2018, 11:25 AM

334 posts, read 221,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
All of our management names, titles, emails and phone numbers are on the corporate website, for the convenience of those asking questions about our properties, but that's not an invitation for job applicants to contact us. All contact is through HR until the offer is made. If in your case the manager forwarded your email/resume to the Operations Manager they were simply passing it on to the appropriate person. We do not accept resumes through the mail or in person, they have to be uploaded to our website, but if someone emailed it to me I would respond with something like "please submit through our website" with a link. I would not hold it against them if they happened to end up as the best qualified person, but it certainly wouldn't help them either.
Thanks for the information. I get conflicting advice on this particular topic. Lots of people say, "You have to get to the hiring manager, you have to follow-up, you just can't wait around, etc.!" But, I feel as if I'm bugging the person if I reach out to them. I gave it a shot, but kind of wish I had not done so. I had already applied on their website prior to reaching out via email and I did let the CEO know that. I suppose she could have simply deleted my email if she was annoyed, but she forwarded it to the appropriate person.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:23 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Thanks for the information. I get conflicting advice on this particular topic. Lots of people say, "You have to get to the hiring manager, you have to follow-up, you just can't wait around, etc.!" But, I feel as if I'm bugging the person if I reach out to them. I gave it a shot, but kind of wish I had not done so. I had already applied on their website prior to reaching out via email and I did let the CEO know that. I suppose she could have simply deleted my email if she was annoyed, but she forwarded it to the appropriate person.
IMO, the folks who give this advice are either not current about how hiring processes work and/or are not hiring managers. Calling or emailing me is not going to get you an end run around the hiring process, which starts at the HR portion of the website. HR forwards all apps, and I read every application and cover letter. If we want to interview you, we will let you know. If a hiring manager wants you to contact them directly, they will say so in their advertisement and provide you with their contact information.

Old 03-10-2018, 11:46 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I applied to a job about 2 weeks ago and have not heard back yet. An attempt to find the hiring manager's E-mail address has been unsuccessful so far. Is it good or is it considered annoying if I follow up by asking to connect on LinkedIn (manager is not connected to me currently)? Can I write my connect request the same as I'd write a follow-up E-mail, or does it need to look like something else? The last time I had to hunt down an E-mail address from the internet, it took me almost 4 hours to do, because they don't post them on their web sites!
Next time call the main switchboard and "verify" the email address.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:48 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Ok, thanks to all. I decided not to follow up on the application.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:36 PM

856 posts, read 1,052,063 times
Exclamation Contact HM on LI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Ok, thanks to all.

I decided not to follow up on the application.

That's too bad; you got some bad advice here and here I am, a week later, seeing you could have made a better decision.

You got very few responses and they do not reflect all the possibilities from which you could have made a considered decision.

Oh, well. I've been busy and have not been looking in here much lately.

Paul

Oh, I've only been in the Executive Search business for 30+ years.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search