Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2018, 12:50 PM

111 posts, read 179,302 times

Advertisements

So I got a verbal job offer in late January for a state job. Yesterday I did fingerprinting for them. The job is set to start April 6th. I'm super hesitant to give my job two weeks notice. Im out on leave right now for medical reasons. I don't want to tell them I'm leaving and lose my health insurance. I really don't want to give them notice until after I sign my official offer letter. Should I wait 2 weeks from April 6th? Or does the 2 week rule still apply?

I would like to leave this job on good terms just in case. You never know what will happen down the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 01:10 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corymartine View Post
So I got a verbal job offer in late January for a state job. Yesterday I did fingerprinting for them. The job is set to start April 6th. I'm super hesitant to give my job two weeks notice. Im out on leave right now for medical reasons. I don't want to tell them I'm leaving and lose my health insurance. I really don't want to give them notice until after I sign my official offer letter. Should I wait 2 weeks from April 6th? Or does the 2 week rule still apply?

I would like to leave this job on good terms just in case. You never know what will happen down the line.
The answer might depend on your relationship with your current employer. If you are on good terms with them and you prefer not to burn a bridge, 2 weeks notice once you have your acceptance letter confirming the new job would be a courtesy. If your relationship is strained and you are worrying about some sort of retaliation (canceling your health insurance immediately) maybe less notice. IMHO (I don't have personal history of leaving a job on bad terms) giving no prior notice is simply unprofessional and rude. You can't predict that someday you won't need something from this previous employer. Why leave a bad taste in their mouth?

A couple of questions that might help:

If the reason you are on sick leave was already approved and your health insurance has already paid for the majority of whatever your condition was, what will you lose if the current employer decided to cancel your policy immediately? Do you know you'll have larger bills arriving between now and the new job? Maybe check the terms of your current health insurance....like the cancellation policy...maybe it only takes effect at the end of a month, end of a pay period, etc. It could be that the time gap between jobs won't make that much difference.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-10-2018 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2018, 01:44 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
OP,

Allison is exactly correct.

Regarding your current leave, are you scheduled to return to your present employer before April 6th? If not, I wouldn’t worry about a full two weeks, but I would be very protective of keeping my insurance funded.

If yo7 are scheduled to return before the 6th the decision gets a bit more difficult.

Old 03-10-2018, 01:54 PM

@AllisonHB and @fishbrains I have a great relationship with my supervisor. He's actually the best supervisor I've ever had. I am ecstatic to have this new job because it's more pay, better benefits, in a field that I actually went to school for. I'm dreading telling my supervisor actually, cause I do like working with my coworkers, but administration makes working there a nightmare and I get paid practically nothing compared to the level of responsibility I have in the job.

I told them I'd be able to come back April 9th and I told them that before I got my new job start date. I know the insurance ends a month later from the day I quit, so the bridge should be gapped from the time I quit to the time I start the job. And really, I won't absolutely need my health insurance after April 5th. Or at least I can wait that is.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:17 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corymartine View Post
@AllisonHB and @fishbrains I have a great relationship with my supervisor. He's actually the best supervisor I've ever had. I am ecstatic to have this new job because it's more pay, better benefits, in a field that I actually went to school for. I'm dreading telling my supervisor actually, cause I do like working with my coworkers, but administration makes working there a nightmare and I get paid practically nothing compared to the level of responsibility I have in the job.

I told them I'd be able to come back April 9th and I told them that before I got my new job start date. I know the insurance ends a month later from the day I quit, so the bridge should be gapped from the time I quit to the time I start the job. And really, I won't absolutely need my health insurance after April 5th. Or at least I can wait that is.
Assuming the bold is correct, there is probably no harm in giving notice now. I say that very hesitantly, because I am doubtful that your coverage works this way, and I don’t know what kind of medical bills you might experience.

Looking at a calendar, I see that 4/5 is a Thursday, and you are scheduled to come back on the 9th. Consider playing it really safe, and give your notice on Monday, April 2. It’s not perfect, but it is play8ng it safe.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:34 PM

15 posts, read 24,113 times
Under COBRA they would have to let you keep your insurance as long as you pay the whole bill.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
If you're not due to go back to your current job until Monday April 9th -- and your new job starts Friday April 6th.

You fingerprinted yesterday.
I'd say the only question is will you get confirmation the accepted formal, written job offer by this Friday.

Since your notice will come late in the month. I guess you're concerned about them letting you go as soon as you give notice, and the slight possibility your health care could end -- at the end of THIS month, March?

I'd think the COBRA coverage would cover any short fall of time -- should it come to that.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:07 AM

I just gave notice today. So I should be good until April 31st for insurance. Thanks for the advice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search