Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 06:58 AM

188 posts, read 202,898 times

Advertisements

I was laid off without warning on Friday. After my supervisor read through her spiel about how the layoff was because there wasn't enough work for me and how she appreciated all the work I've done, she asked if I had any questions. I asked if I could use her as a reference while job hunting, and she immediately left as the HR person explained that the company policy is to not give references, but I could have potential employers call another company to confirm my dates of employment. They said this is a common policy.

Can anyone tell me if this kind of policy has hindered your job search or kept you from getting a job?

Side note: After only ever getting positive reviews/feedback, my supervisor suddenly had a bunch of complaints at my annual review that caused me to get a low bonus this year. She couldn't give any specific examples for the complaints. When I went to my teammates that supposedly gave the negative feedback and said, "Supervisor said you had complaint x, but didn't have any examples. Could you give me a specific example or let me know what do to differently?" The response was that they'd never given that feedback, and I was doing a great job and not to change anything. Since my supervisor appears to have made up a bunch of complaints, maybe the "no reference" policy will work out better for me anyway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 09:10 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Yes, it will hurt. If you have a choice, don't work for a company that has a "no references" policy.

Many companies won't hire someone without a real reference from the former employer and it can't be just a confirmation of dates of employment.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:15 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Amazing how all companies want references, yet so many refuse to give them! Of course it will hurt you. The prevailing assumption in the hiring process is that "If you were really good enough they will give you a reference anyway." That of course is nonsense, but many hiring managers believe it.

I would suggest that when someone asks you for references, you ask them what their policy on references is. It probably won't help, but at least you've made a point.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:39 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
No, it shouldn't hurt. Most employers know that other companies sometimes don't provide references. It's not uncommon. Just provide the name of the company, former manager's name and phone number. You can't control what happens should they contact your former company.

Old 03-31-2018, 03:45 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
The prevailing assumption in the hiring process is that "If you were really good enough they will give you a reference anyway." That of course is nonsense, but many hiring managers believe it.
I would question the sheer stupidity of such hiring managers.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:18 PM

276 posts, read 430,847 times
It didn't hurt me. Actually, many big companies will ask for references, but don't check them. At least that has been my experience. I worked for a small company of about 50 and that is the only time I recall a reference being called and I've worked for a contractor at a Fortune 10 company, at Fortune 100 companies, and large private companies.

I would be careful about putting people's names down and not asking for permission. I've had this happen to me and in cases, I've recommended that the requestor not use me for a reference because I would be honest and didn't have great things to share. Also, if you have a company that does check, if you give a reference and the reference says they cannot speak about you, that will reflect badly on you as you shouldn't have given that person as a reference if you didn't ask in advance. (The assumption will and should be that you asked and the person said they could not be a reference and you used them anyway.)

Old 04-01-2018, 03:52 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Speaking only for the 3 places where I have been a hiring manager, it’s an HR policy that we are not allowed to give references, and HR only gives the dates of employment and job title. Also, the hiring manager does not check references, that is done by HR and none of these 3 requires references from the last employer. It can be any co-worker, supervisor, or even customer from any former employer, or any other person that knows you well but is not a relative. Obviously a good reference from your last supervisor is the most effective. For my last time being hired I used two people that were superiors at a previous job but were no longer working there so not subject to their rules any more, and one customer from my last position. It’s good to keep in touch with former co-workers if only through Linked-in so you have a way to contact them.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:00 AM

856 posts, read 1,051,896 times
Exclamation Company Policy: No References

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFebruary View Post
I was laid off without warning on Friday.

....the HR person explained that the company policy is to not give references,....

This goes back to what I've said before, here.

GET REFERENCES AHEAD OF TIME.

When you have completed a project satisfactorily or better than just 'satisfactorily', get references from whatever supervisors/managers you can who were benefited from what you accomplished.

People will say this will trigger the idea you may be leaving but simply say that it is not about leaving so much it is about having a 'good reference' for the future, if ever you do leave or simply say that you like to keep track of your measurable achievements and/or the work you did that led to a benefit to your employer.

They should be written and emailed to you so you can print them and/or email them to a hiring manager down the road.

This now brings to mind what I run into on many occasions-

You did something that was part of a group effort (or not) and that work/research/innovation/sales and/or marketing campaign was forwarded to another department that made use of what you did to increase profitability, market share, increased branding, etc.

When I am told that person has no associated metrics, they also tell me that is because they were 'never told' what happened as a result of their work.

This is really because that person NEVER ASKED what metrics came about.

What percent of increase of profitability (with a corresponding dollar amount) was incurred?

What percent of additional market share and its corresponding dollar amount was achieved?

etc.

Even an approximate percent/dollar amount is better than none.

Get this information at the time so you don't have to call a former manager, years later, trying to get them to come up with a realistic metric.

(Although, it is often true that a former manager, once they understand they are being asked to help you build a resume, will usually come up with an estimate.

The advantage in this case is that your metrics on your resume will match what that manager tells anyone who calls and asks in the form of a reference.)

Paul......

Old 04-02-2018, 06:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
OP, there's nothing in that rule to stop you from giving that employer a reference on glassdoor.com.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:25 AM

188 posts, read 202,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Amazing how all companies want references, yet so many refuse to give them! Of course it will hurt you. The prevailing assumption in the hiring process is that "If you were really good enough they will give you a reference anyway." That of course is nonsense, but many hiring managers believe it.

I would suggest that when someone asks you for references, you ask them what their policy on references is. It probably won't help, but at least you've made a point.
Yeah, asking for references but refusing to give them is pretty messed up!

When I was googling this kind of policy, I came across a few mentions of people getting fired for giving references when there was a policy against it, so the “if you were really good enough they will give you a reference” thing is definitely nonsense. Some people just don’t like to break rules, and some would have to worry about getting fired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanista View Post
It didn't hurt me. Actually, many big companies will ask for references, but don't check them. At least that has been my experience. I worked for a small company of about 50 and that is the only time I recall a reference being called and I've worked for a contractor at a Fortune 10 company, at Fortune 100 companies, and large private companies.

I would be careful about putting people's names down and not asking for permission. I've had this happen to me and in cases, I've recommended that the requestor not use me for a reference because I would be honest and didn't have great things to share. Also, if you have a company that does check, if you give a reference and the reference says they cannot speak about you, that will reflect badly on you as you shouldn't have given that person as a reference if you didn't ask in advance. (The assumption will and should be that you asked and the person said they could not be a reference and you used them anyway.)
Good to know that many big companies want references but don't pay attention to them.

The only contact info I have from my supervisor is her cell phone number, which I would never give out without permission. If anyone asks for references, I’ll just give them references from three other supervisors. If they ask for a reference from the company that laid me off, I’ll just have to explain their policy and give the phone number for the company that confirms dates of employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
OP, there's nothing in that rule to stop you from giving that employer a reference on glassdoor.com. [IMG]file:///C:\Users\Dane\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\c lip_image001.gif[/IMG]
LOL. Yeah. This will definitely color the review I’ll be giving them. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadhunterPaul View Post
This goes back to what I've said before, here.

GET REFERENCES AHEAD OF TIME.

When you have completed a project satisfactorily or better than just 'satisfactorily', get references from whatever supervisors/managers you can who were benefited from what you accomplished.

People will say this will trigger the idea you may be leaving but simply say that it is not about leaving so much it is about having a 'good reference' for the future, if ever you do leave or simply say that you like to keep track of your measurable achievements and/or the work you did that led to a benefit to your employer.

They should be written and emailed to you so you can print them and/or email them to a hiring manager down the road.
Sounds like good advice! I know you’re supposed to write what you did at each job on your resume as “achievements” rather than just “tasks,” and I can’t do that for this job (it was basically just a bunch of random responsibilities no one else had time for, and I was constantly assigned little ad hoc projects and work as needed…but it was nothing where I could really have any sort of “measurable” success, just stuff that didn't have much impact but that had to get done). Feels like I wasted two years there since I have nothing to show for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search