Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:06 PM

21 posts, read 71,052 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for your posts and advices.
I agree with all of you about stopping bad bosses and about the reference issue with a prospective employer. That is what I had experienced latelly.
The issue here is that I have only been terminated because of my coworker's and bosse's dislike not that I will do anything wrong. There was a bad attitude since I started. I hope this was the only time also!
What all of you think would be the best way to resolve this?
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 04:16 PM

Default bad reference

I was adviced to send a letter to my former employer to ask to restrict references to dates of employment, job title and salary. Does anyone have any experience with this? Did it work for you?
I think when this employer (an evil boss) retaliated they will just continue anyway. What do you think?
Did anyone of you tried and accomplished this in any way?

Old 04-09-2008, 08:16 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Send the letter and cc: an attorney.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:32 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Have an attorney write the letter. Let them know you are serious.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:12 PM

Default Bad Reference

Well, I haven't received any letter I asked for. I called this week and was promised to be send something but nothing came yet.
I am thinking just not to release name of the former employer to any prospective employer. Do you think this could be a good idea? What do you think interviewers would think about it? And what should I say the reason for this is?
Anyone have any good ideas?
Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 05:26 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVES View Post
I got a job where "bullies" ruled. Just after two weeks I asked if the bully is voilent and was retaliated, degrated and overloaded with work since. I started to look for other job but was unable because of my disabilities. After two years of hell I was terminated. Since then I have been already given three diferrent reasons - Lies like the whole time there - what's new!
I have a different job now but am looking for something better. 8 months after termination I found out that my former employer is giving me bad references. When I called I was told that they only verify that I worked there, dates of employment and position. Later, I decided to verify what they say and was shocked to find out that they say that "I do not get along with people" and need to improve my "Interpersonal skills"! I called back and they still deny giving me bad references until I said that I have checked.
Would this be case of malice/defamation/slander/retaliation?
I asked to be given Letter of Recomendation and Letter stating what information they will release to prospective employer but I do not believe they will send anything. What should I do?
Also, they are refusing to give me a copy of the reason they fired me for.
What should I do?
Should I just not list this company on my resume?
What should I say about this to prospective employer as it makes no sence to be looking for job when no one will hire you over bad references?
I can't believe - we are teaching our kids to tell when someone is doing something suspicious and when you say something at work you get retaliated against! Specially, when the bullies were the boss (not the one who hired me) and coworker!
Thank you very much for any advice.
You should get a lawyer. Companies are only allowed to say the dates you worked there. Only if you give a SPECIFIC person as a personal or professional reference can they give details. I worked at a company that was bad mouthing a ex employee and she promptly got a lawyer and sued. Don't put up with that crap (this is assuming you are in America)

Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 AM

5,906 posts, read 5,735,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
You should get a lawyer. Companies are only allowed to say the dates you worked there. Only if you give a SPECIFIC person as a personal or professional reference can they give details. I worked at a company that was bad mouthing a ex employee and she promptly got a lawyer and sued. Don't put up with that crap (this is assuming you are in America)
I beg to differ. I had thought the same thing--until it happened to me almost 20 years ago.

There are NO laws that prohibit a former employer from giving out a negative reference as long as it is true and made without malice. Some states have passed laws granting immunity to employers. The reason some companies merely hand out dates of employment is because their legal departments advise them to do so.

There are also a few other questions your former employer may be asked, and they are not obligated to say YES: 'would you rehire' and 'would you recommend this person for this new position'.

There have been some legal cases that successfully sued a plaintiff's former employer for not carrying out references the same way to all former employees...it has to be uniform.

The following links may be helpful:

Job References: Problems for Good References, Problems for Bad References : New Jersey Law Blog

I'm in a job hunt after being fired. I found out that my previous boss is giving me nasty references. Does my ex-boss have a free hand to just say anything? What can I do?

BAD JOB REFERENCES - Slander, and Defamation

How Can I Combat Bad Reference

2nd post:

retaliation/unfounded bad reference by former manager Florida - Labor Law Talk

Old 04-21-2008, 11:48 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Also, some places never give a person who leaves them a good reference.

Their pride is hurt that anyone ever leaves them as they are the best place ever.( or so they think)

Yeah, right !

Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 6,548 times
Angry job termination

I was forced to resign a position after 13 yrs of employment. I had 5 minutes to decide if I wanted to be terminated or leave on my own. The supervisor trumped up his own reason for dismissing me. He did not like me the two years I worked for him. He tried to make it very diffiult for me to work. He caused excessive work and in turn forced me to work additional hours as I was salaried.
He had a tendency to hire young females with nice bodies and long legs. In the two years he was there he hired approximately 9 people under the age of 35. After my demise he hired a 34 yr old as my replacement. I am 51.
I am filing suit for age discrimination. I knew my job and knew it well. There was none better.
I am very bitter. I have lost $12000 a year in full time income plus $10000 income I have lost as a result of losing my part time job.
The attorney feels we have a strong case.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:49 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
Bullies?? They sound psychopathic to me. lol. I feel sorry for you but I've experienced a hard time from crazy people too, I think it happens to people regardless of disability .... good luck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVES View Post
I got a job where "bullies" ruled. Just after two weeks I asked if the bully is voilent and was retaliated, degrated and overloaded with work since. I started to look for other job but was unable because of my disabilities. After two years of hell I was terminated. Since then I have been already given three diferrent reasons - Lies like the whole time there - what's new!
I have a different job now but am looking for something better. 8 months after termination I found out that my former employer is giving me bad references. When I called I was told that they only verify that I worked there, dates of employment and position. Later, I decided to verify what they say and was shocked to find out that they say that "I do not get along with people" and need to improve my "Interpersonal skills"! I called back and they still deny giving me bad references until I said that I have checked.
Would this be case of malice/defamation/slander/retaliation?
I asked to be given Letter of Recomendation and Letter stating what information they will release to prospective employer but I do not believe they will send anything. What should I do?
Also, they are refusing to give me a copy of the reason they fired me for.
What should I do?
Should I just not list this company on my resume?
What should I say about this to prospective employer as it makes no sence to be looking for job when no one will hire you over bad references?
I can't believe - we are teaching our kids to tell when someone is doing something suspicious and when you say something at work you get retaliated against! Specially, when the bullies were the boss (not the one who hired me) and coworker!
Thank you very much for any advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search