Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 12:09 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times

Advertisements

I suppose you could chalk this up to a learning experience. HE taught you something because of how disingenuous he ended up being. YOU now know more about this position that you had some previous interest in....that you were not really best suited for it.

I've met an interviewer once in a while who tested the waters at applicants' expense, but I also have to admit being intrigued by someone who has such an open mind about what they hope to find in an employee. Someone who might be willing to grab at some unexpected spark they see in an applicant and make things happen for them. FWIW I don't think I'd be angry at the "wasted time". What else was I doing with it? Did you turn down other interviews to take this one? Did anything else bad happen? I would probably be a bit relieved at dodging the proverbial bullet. Who knows, you two might have hit it off in a big way and an entirely unexpected opportunity come to being as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 12:11 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,950,508 times
You knew you weren't qualified, but you wasted your time anyway.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:47 AM

192 posts, read 147,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedInCali View Post
I went on a job interview yesterday and the interviewer, also the owner of the company, knew I wasn't qualified but said he interviews everyone that applies for a position he has open because they might have that gem he likes.

I personally find this a waste of time for the candidate, me, and I'm highly ticked off about it, and it's a day later.

I've been on plenty of interviews in the last two years where my time has been wasted, but was able to let it go. This one, for some reason, I can't let go.

I really want to write this monkey farmer an professional email telling him my thoughts on yesterday's interview. Mind you, I will never ever apply to this company again.

Thoughts? Is this something anyone has done, sent an email to an interviewer after a bad interview?
No. This is not a thing that is done. And, I seriously hope no one replies to you that they have done it.

He was honest, really. He told you he interviews all looking for the gem. This annoyed you, so this probably means you didn't hit the mark for him either.

All experience in interviewing is good. It's a muscle we don't always flex, so go with that and let it go.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
I went on a job interview yesterday and the interviewer, also the owner of the company, knew I wasn't qualified but said he interviews everyone that applies for a position he has open because they might have that gem he likes.
many posters on this board would theoretically approve of this. The complaint we hear over and over is that hiring managers don’t give everybody a shot, and raise criticisms whenever managers describe how they select interview candidates from resumes, claiming anything is arbitrary and capricious.

Quote:
I personally find this a waste of time for the candidate, me,
You are right, it is. It’s also a waste of time for the manager, but I know that isn’t your point.

Let it go. No good will come if blasting the guy. Grumble, complain, vent and move on.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:06 AM

1,063 posts, read 695,970 times
When in doubt, err on the side of not applying.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:09 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,784 times
I'm just curious...for those who warn about things coming back on them, how? And I'm curious to those posters, do you ever feel it's okay to stand up for yourself when dealing with rude interviewers? I'm not trying to be a jerk.

I think one of the problems we have in the interviewer/interviewee dance is that one side has been conditioned to be passive which of course is just fuel for human nature to walk all over you. Same concept as a bully beating on his/her victim. This particular interviewer knows he's being a time-waster but still does it because he can.

OP, on the bright side, you did get to work on interview skills. That is always good practice.

For me, I would write a direct and honest email stating the obvious. Direct and honest doesn't need to be rude.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 AM

112 posts, read 285,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You knew you weren't qualified, but you wasted your time anyway.
You misread my response about the job qualificiations. When the job was first posted two years ago, I wasn't qualified. This time around I am and I applied.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
When in doubt, err on the side of not applying.
How can one be in doubt about something if they are sure about it at the same time? I was never in doubt until the interview. Now I know for sure to never apply to that place again.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've met an interviewer once in a while who tested the waters at applicants' expense, but I also have to admit being intrigued by someone who has such an open mind about what they hope to find in an employee. Someone who might be willing to grab at some unexpected spark they see in an applicant and make things happen for them. FWIW I don't think I'd be angry at the "wasted time". What else was I doing with it? Did you turn down other interviews to take this one? Did anything else bad happen? I would probably be a bit relieved at dodging the proverbial bullet. Who knows, you two might have hit it off in a big way and an entirely unexpected opportunity come to being as a result.
I never thought of it this way. I was so focused on my time being wasted by these interviewers, I left the place frustrated. I think it's the nature of the game for us interviewees, that we take the chance of an interviewer wasting our time because they can. As another person said here, they do it because they can.

Anyhoo. I've moved on, but still like the feedback I'm getting to see perspectives on the situation.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
I matched the skills listed but not what he was seeking. This job was posted before two years ago, but I didn't have enough skills / experience. This time around I did so I applied. But when I got there, what was the job really required wasn't listed in the post.
The real problem then was the poorly written job posting, which wasted both their time and yours. You are better off not working for a place that has demonstrated their inability to do such a simple task as write a job announcement. Just try to let it go, any other action is just wasting more of your time, regardless of whether it could come back to bite you later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search