Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2018, 10:31 AM

757 posts, read 1,096,944 times

Advertisements

So I just got done with another time waster and poor communicator.

I was asked by a mutual acquaintance if I had any interest in working for one of his business associates in a sales capacity for an industry which I have no experience in. I agreed to explore it.

We started with a telephone interview. Afterward, I was invited to an in-person interview. After that, I was asked to complete a lengthy personality assessment. After that, I was invited back for another in-person interview with the main contact with an additional group interview included. That was a long four hours!

From start to finish, it has been 6+ weeks and I still know very little about the job which is a major red flag. Every time I asked for more information, I received a "we're getting there" answer and to be patient with the "process".

So after our last interview marathon, the interviewer says that he'll be in touch to set up another interview that next week. Never happened.

After two weeks of no contact, I call and inquire about our next steps (by voicemail). He returns the call a week later (that's week number 3 of no contact) saying that he would like to connect. I return the call and go right to VM. Nothing since.

Admittedly, I should have stopped the process after the 3rd interview with no job description or compensation information but I let it go out of respect for our mutual acquaintance who made the referral. That was just me being passive and making excuses quite frankly.

This is just rude. And I'd like to say that's uncommon but we all know it isn't. I really wanted to have a "close the loop" conversation with him by phone where I could also express my disappointment in being ghosted. I have a feeling if I had not followed up myself, I would have never heard from him again.

I don't care about the rationale but what I do care about is being treated like he would want to be treated. Nothing more. You can't proclaim to be a leader (which he did) and not be able to make that tough phone call saying that you didn't get the job or whatever the message is.

I have an email ready to go to close the loop. It's polite but still expresses my disappointment in the lack of communication/follow up. I know some on here are corporate apologists and would never dare to stand up for themselves in fear of "burning a bride" or just prefer to blame the job seeker. But this is the problem nowadays. The job seeker has been conditioned to be passive which of course leads to more rude behavior. IMO, the reason why we read so much about rude interviewers is that we, as job seekers, allow it to happen w/o any pushback. And pushback doesn't need to be rude but it does need to be firm. Human nature I suppose.

Luckily I still know better to not stop looking until an offer is in hand and I accept it so that's good.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2018, 10:40 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,653,723 times
I know, been there, experienced that....and they expect you to be the consummate professional.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I know, been there, experienced that....and they expect you to be the consummate professional.
Exactly. If I never returned a call in a reasonable amount of time, I would have been discarded immediately.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:40 AM

2,704 posts, read 2,776,805 times
That's the nature of employment these days.

Old 05-04-2018, 11:49 AM

13,296 posts, read 8,518,990 times
Silence is golden. Refrain from airing your concerns. You are under no contract or obligation to continue contact. You are a free agent ...equal and empowered to seek employ with a forthright employer. Keep your freedom and stay away from this cat and mouse entity.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Silence is golden. Refrain from airing your concerns. You are under no contract or obligation to continue contact. You are a free agent ...equal and empowered to seek employ with a forthright employer. Keep your freedom and stay away from this cat and mouse entity.
What are your concerns about airing my concerns?

Old 05-04-2018, 05:18 PM

1,063 posts, read 700,954 times
Inform your other acquaintance who is also connected to this guy about the experience briefly. Just mention that "They seem busy so it didn't work out", if they ask what came of it. Then if additional detail is desired, spill the beans as diplomatically as possible. It will make you look like the bigger person.

Old 05-05-2018, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 85,649 times
I feel for you, it's atrocious how many companies/interviewers act these days.

On the bright side, their actions are major red flags that you may not want to work there anyway. Could be you dodged a bullet on this one.

Old 05-05-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randoms47 View Post
I feel for you, it's atrocious how many companies/interviewers act these days.

On the bright side, their actions are major red flags that you may not want to work there anyway. Could be you dodged a bullet on this one.
Very true.

Old 05-05-2018, 08:20 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,197,173 times
Employers have no problem wasting everyone's time, including their own today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search