Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Dress better than you would anticipate wearing on the job daily.
I hear this all the time, but there are times it is the wrong thing to do.

I know most people will tell you to over dress, but twice I have been on interviews for professional jobs (one engineering and one accounting) wearing a suit and tie (guy here) and was basically laughed at by the people interviewing me with several degrading jokes to go along with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Well, my SiL will be showing up for an Engineering job interview tomorrow morning and he will be dressed in a grey suit and tie. I am newly retired, but dressing in a suit/tie [men] or suit/dress for the females is standard for job interviews where I worked [government].

I am sure it varies somewhat with the level and type of the job you are applying for, and from industry to industry, but it is easy enough to play it safe.

While working, I attended many business conferences. Typically, the first day, attendees showed up very well dressed, often with a tie, but usually attire got a bit more casual as the week went by. By the time the final afternoon came, you would find a few attendees in blue jeans with their suitcase stashed in the corner, so they could get out quickly to catch their flight home.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:38 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post

I know most people will tell you to over dress, but twice I have been on interviews for professional jobs (one engineering and one accounting) wearing a suit and tie (guy here) and was basically laughed at by the people interviewing me with several degrading jokes to go along with it.
There are always outliers.

The reaction you describe seems quite extreme, and certainly isn’t the norm. If one plays the odds, I am confident that dressing reasonably well is a better overall strategy than gambling the place you interview at has contempt for nicely dressed people.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:48 AM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I think the black dress pants, white blouse, professional black sweater, trendy but professional watch and tasteful accessories and black handbag (and maybe black pumps or tailored shoes) thing you've got planned is super appropriate for just about any job interview.

I too remember the era of the "power suit" (and wore them!) but it's just not that way anymore.

Good luck!

Thank you. I loved the “power suit” back in the day but now...not so much. It is around 80 degrees here now and the thought of wearing one is not something I want to weat. I never carry a purse into an interview, btw. But I do carry a black portfolio to take note, store my resume etc.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:50 AM

Quote:

I hope that you do not work there. The interviewer has some kind of chip on their should for some reason.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
I hope that you do not work there. The interviewer has some kind of chip on their should for some reason.
It was a company that hired mostly young people and I didn't fit that demographic. I never had a shot as soon as I walked in, too old and they weren't shy about it.

Old 05-11-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
It was a company that hired mostly young people and I didn't fit that demographic. I never had a shot as soon as I walked in, too old and they weren't shy about it.
Unprofessional behavior in their part.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:03 AM

757 posts, read 1,094,330 times
Quote:
Unprofessional behavior in their part.
Maybe true but I don't think many companies care if they're being professional these days. I've been there before walking into a company and not seeing a gray hair anywhere and then being shown to the door.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:33 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,060,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I wore that exact outfit once and got laughed out of the place. Its just so hard for a guy like me to flash his feminine side these days.
You’re just too sensitive.

Old 05-12-2018, 03:50 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,762 times
Quote:
Uh..no.
Alrighty then! Enjoy your pantyhose!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search