Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2018, 06:33 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Just a quick question -- and a fine point to be sure, but I was just wondering.....
....when do you personally try to send off a "thank you" note after an interview -- or meeting -- or networking event?

-- same day, ASAP (within the hour or as. soon. as. you leave)
-- same day within hours
-- same calendar day even if it's after hours or late at night, overnight

-- next day?
-- next two days (or three)?
-- same week?

-- whenever you get to it?

Personally, I try to do it same day or next day.
(Heck, when I remember......I even have a template all set, and just fill in the blank or change a line -- to drop in the obligatory "something we talked about at the meeting"...referring to something the interviewer said or referred to.)

I'm just wondering if people are AY-nal about getting the note out ASAP.....or as long as too much time hasn't passed, it's all good. Of course, what one considers 'too much time' is subjective.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 04:33 AM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
I sent an email thank you the next morning....sent to the 3 people who conducted the interview. I personalized the verbiage to each person..relating to a specific question or comment they made. Short and sweet.

Old 05-24-2018, 02:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,565 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have made about a dozen hires in the last 7-8 years, and of those, there was only case when I hadn't made my decision within an hour of the last interview ending. While the thank-yous are appreciated, they make no difference to the decision, so whether the same day or next doesn't matter.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:20 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Whenever you feel like -- they go in the trash. Sorry, letters don't have any impact on our hiring process.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:06 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Whenever you feel like -- they go in the trash. Sorry, letters don't have any impact on our hiring process.
Very true and same with ours. However, keep in mind that every hiring manager is different. One may feel they are unnecessary and redundant, while another believes its unprofessional not to send one and lowers a candidate's ranking. I'd just send one to be on the safe side because you never know who you're dealing with.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:53 PM

62 posts, read 50,661 times
I think it is a good idea to send a thank you email if you want to let them know that you are genuinely interested in the position after the interview.

For that reason I would advise sending it on the same day, within a few hours of the interview. They are more likely to remember who you are. The more time that passes, the less likely they will remember much about you. That is why a letter seems like a less desirable option, as it will take days to be received.

Whether it makes a difference the interviewer shouldn't be the only objective. What it shows is respect and gratitude for their time, as well as enthusiasm for the job, which is a good thing.

Good luck.

Old 05-24-2018, 09:15 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Depends on the speed of the search. If they've indicated they'll be interviewing for weeks longer, take your time. If they're wrapping the search up in a day or two, I'd research the email addresses beforehand and send the email of thanks from the parking lot.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:20 PM

188 posts, read 202,898 times
I think you should wait at least a few hours before sending the note so that it looks like you took the time to think over what was discussed at the interview (an immediate note would make you seem desperate instead of thoughtful), but that you should do it within a day because if you wait too long they may have already made a hiring decision and it won't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Very true and same with ours. However, keep in mind that every hiring manager is different. One may feel they are unnecessary and redundant, while another believes its unprofessional not to send one and lowers a candidate's ranking. I'd just send one to be on the safe side because you never know who you're dealing with.
I think the only cases where it might make a difference are: 1) If you felt like you weren't enthusiastic enough in the interview, then a quick note might help confirm/emphasize that you are definitely interested. Or 2) If there were two or more equal candidates and one wrote a compelling note, then they might lean more toward extending an offer to the note writer.

I've written a few post-interview notes, but never got an offer for those jobs so I just stopped doing it. Seems like too much trouble when I don't know that it's going to make a difference. If someone thinks it's not professional to send one then I'd consider it a bullet dodged situation. (If you've gotten to the interview stage, then you've already invested a fair amount of time in trying to get the job. If an employer expects a lot of "extras" while you're going through the hiring process, then they'll probably have unrealistic expectations when you're actually working for them.)

Old 05-25-2018, 02:28 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
I think they can only do harm so I never send them. What if you say something they don't like or have poor grammar/spelling? It could change their opinion of you after a good interview. Not saying this is likely, but possible.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:10 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
I always send one within 24 hours, but not immediately. if its a morning interview I'll send it in the afternoon. If its a 4 PM interview, I wait till morning. I try to reiterate one thing I really want them to know or clarify one thing I wish I'd said better, but very very briefly. One thing only.

Of course if I hated them or they smell bad I dont bother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search