Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
So my husband has become very disillusioned at his current job. Four people have quit within about a 6 week period, leaving the store short staffed. He has had to take on more duties and it is a bit overbearing, so he has been applying for jobs. Last week he got called for an interview as a mechanic at the university. Great benefits, more money. He prepped pretty hard core for it, Googling the people he’d be interviewing with to see what their background and hobbies are, wrote up his strengths and weaknesses and how they pertained to his position. He had the interview last Wednesday 3 people (2 assistant mangers and a logistics guy) and he is pretty psyched that he gave a great interview. He can talk to anyone and I have a feeling everyone was pretty at ease. He said it was round robin questioning and he gave great answers. They told him that the 4th person who needs to interview him is the manager but she is on vacation so there would be another interview with her when she returns. He isn’t sure how many people they were interviewing but he said when they called him said that they could only interview him on Wednesday because that's when their schedules overlapped and there were four time slots available between 8 and noon and he was able to choose, so he figures he was the first one they called which also makes him think they liked him on paper the best and that makes him think they were interviewing a total of four people, but who knows. He sent a follow up email a few hours later thanking them for their time and within 15 minutes one of the interview guys responded with the following:

“It was a pleasure meeting you today. Our whole panel was pleased with the way things went in today’s interview. Expect to hear from us sometime late next week or early the week after regarding scheduling for the second interview.”

So obviously they liked him and he’ll get that 2nd interview, but who knows if they were happy with others as well and sent a similar email, that is if anyone else emailed first thanking them as well.

What do you think? Is he likely to be their pick? Because he sure seems to think he will be and he's driving me nuts revisiting the things he said in that interview and all the things he'll be doing when he gets the job.
Yes, they were happy with others as well, or they would hire him at this point and not schedule another interview to narrow down their decision on who to hire.

Best wishes to him!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 11:05 AM

125 posts, read 53,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Yes, they were happy with others as well, or they would hire him at this point and not schedule another interview to narrow down their decision on who to hire.

Best wishes to him!!
Well they HAVE to have another interview regardless because the main manager wasn't there. But I'm sure the asst. managers would have weeded out any bad ones and not extended a second interview to them. So they could have weeded out the other 3 (if there were that many) or not weeded out any of them. OR there could be another round of interviews this coming Wednesday with a whole new batch of people. But they were telling him about all the benefits, there's a gym available, he'd be supervising other people, etc so that sounds promising.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 9 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
Well they HAVE to have another interview regardless because the main manager wasn't there. But I'm sure the asst. managers would have weeded out any bad ones and not extended a second interview to them. So they could have weeded out the other 3 (if there were that many) or not weeded out any of them. OR there could be another round of interviews this coming Wednesday with a whole new batch of people. But they were telling him about all the benefits, there's a gym available, he'd be supervising other people, etc so that sounds promising.
Yes, it sounds very promising. ;D

Old 05-29-2018, 11:46 AM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
As an employer, I do not see anything in their conversation or responses that I wouldn't also have with number 2-12 in consideration. All any of this indicates is the applicant did not say or do anything that would result in a rejection, at this stage.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:29 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
There is only one way to know if your husband aced the interview.

When the job offer comes. And the numbers make him smile.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:19 AM

He got the call this morning to set up the 2nd interview with the manager and director of the dept! He said she said that the 3 people who interviewed him last week had nothing but great things to say about him. So now he's super psyched, but interview is still 10 days away.

Old 06-01-2018, 03:31 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Expectations can lead to disappointment.

OP, he's getting all the right vibes and all the HR/managers he's spoken with or met are saying great things. But I know that many people have heard all that also -- only to be disappointed -- even crushed -- when they ultimately haven't been chosen.

So I'm not saying don't get your hopes up, because he IS hearing and getting all the right signs. I just don't want you -- or HIM -- to be devastated if he doesn't get it. Maybe temper your expectations/enthusiam with a little realism??

Good luck though, it does sound promising.

Old 06-02-2018, 03:56 PM

So, he didn't give me the ENTIRE story of the 2nd interview! Turns out the way he found out the manager had called him was because one of the guys who interviewed him last week sent an email Friday morning saying it was a friendly reminder that the manager had called and left him 2 voicemails both previous days trying to schedule that interview with him and if he's no longer interested to just disregard the email! He looked at his phone and didn't see any notifications that he had voicemails, yet he had 2. He told me he even saw the call from her come in on Wednesday but was in the middle of something at work and just put the phone on silent and then forgot all about it. How the hell do you not think to check it when the only thing you're thinking about is when this person is going to call and set up an interview??!! He immediately called her back after the email and he said she was very amiable and said that the others said nothing but good things about him. Yet now he is kicking himself that he missed 2 calls form her and is thinking that now she thinks he's unreliable. She said she was going to send him details of where to go for the interview but hasn't done that yet, yet when he had the first interview the guy sent him details right away. He thinks she's getting back at him for not responding to her. Ay yay yay!

So anyways, do you think he hurt his chances at the job by not responding to her until he got that email from the other guy? I mean the guy said he was emailing in case there was an issue with his phone. Yet she called him twice and then the guy sent him an email so they must be interested enough to pursue him. But then husband also said that maybe they are just calling him to fulfill what the union requires of interviewing so many people.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:12 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times
Again, I really don't want to say -- "you can't fret over every. little. development." But you're forcing my hand .

The situation IS -- that your husband DID miss (not respond to) her calls.....that fortunately (thank G-d) another person at the company or in HR or who'd interviewed him or whoever......sent your husband an email....and your husband did get back to the woman.

Is it IDEAL -- that your husband missed her calls? No. Does it (alone) kill his chances of getting the job? No
The woman said she'd get the details to him, and she probably will....who knows what HER workload or schedule is. Maybe now SHE is busy with something else....

If I were your husband I wouldn't screw up with any more communication missteps....but the fact that the other guy reached out after the "non responses" -- shows they ARE still interested at least on some level. So that's a good thing.

From your posts it just seems your "living and dying" -- emotionally of course -- on every. single. development. And that just leads to anxiety. Let the process play out. Your husband -- I presume -- WANTS the job, and is doing his best to get it. So you'll just have to wait and see.

Old 06-02-2018, 04:31 PM

I know. I just can't believe my husband though. He could think of nothing else but this job and was wondering when they'd call and then to basically look and see who is calling and go "hmm, I don't recognize that number" and set it to silent or voicemail and just go on with his day and not even cross his mind that it was this woman calling just blows me away! Wouldn't you be checking your phone every 5 minutes if you were that hyped about it!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search