Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 04:11 PM

674 posts, read 607,718 times

Advertisements

OP - unless you are desperate or starving, tell them to go pound sand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 09:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
I have seen some online applications with companies that ask for references, but not very many.

I would never give out references right away to a recruiter or employment agency. That's just giving them free information for nothing in return.

Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,420,544 times
A lot of apps ask for them upfront but won't contact them unless you are a finalist and they are getting ready to make an offer. As mentioned, no for recruiters they are mining for leads.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:28 PM

345 posts, read 252,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
OP - unless you are desperate or starving, tell them to go pound sand.
Totally agree! Just filled out a job application where they not only asked for references but my social security number as well. I ran far far away!

Old 06-09-2018, 05:19 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
How about trying to get someone on the phone at HR and saying you're uncomfortable providing references on the application, and ask -- if you can provide that information at a later date if you're one of the finalists for the position.

Other than that all I can say is -- you said you needed a job and this looks like a good one.
So, are you willing to take the chance that not filling out the information requested will cost you the chance at the job?
It may not be easy for you to go back-and-forth to decide that in your own mind. But at the core that's what it boils down to.

Last edited by selhars; 06-09-2018 at 05:50 PM..

Old 06-09-2018, 05:26 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
OP, Do not apply. Period.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:12 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
How about trying to get someone on the phone at HR and saying you're uncomfortable providing references on the application, and ask -- if you can provide that information at a later date if you're one of the finalists for the position.
I would be very surprised if they bent the rules and deviated from company policy. And remember, plenty of hiring managers complain about candidates who don't follow specific directions on an application.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:57 PM

94 posts, read 169,095 times
Default Interviewing for more than one job...and they all like me. DILEMMA

I was laid off from my job at the end of May, I had advance notice so I put out resumes and applied for jobs like crazy. There were lots of possibilities in my specialized field, and I got lots of calls. Five jobs, yes FIVE I've advanced through at least a second interview. Since I'm laid off, I need to work ASAP as my severance pay is 6 weeks and really can't afford the peanuts that unemployment pays, even at max.

My dilemma is this. Company "A" seems ready to hire me. I've been through 2 lengthy interviews, they asked for my references. It's a nice company, I loved the people and I think I'd love the job but very small. No 401K, only health insurance, Not sure of what the pay will be. When they asked and I told them, they said "would you consider the job if it was less than your number". I said if it made sense financially for me I would. They'll be making a decision this week. My target start date for any job is July 15.

Company "B" I just had a second interview and it went very well and I'll be speaking with another manager and was told they were talking to one other candidate as well. It's also in my field, just a different part of it and it's a consulting company that has full benefits, and the pay will be about 20K a year more. Plus it's "remote" and I can work from wherever I want to when I'm not at client site, its about 50% Travel. However they won't have a decision probably for at least another 2 weeks.

Company "C" IDEAL position. Haven't heard about date for 2nd interview but was told I will be getting one, and it's out of town. Pay would be around the same as Company A but much better benefits.

Company "D" Company I'm DYING to work for. Very well paid, but hiring process takes eons. They are hiring a team of 7 at my local office. I interviewed with them once before and was a finalist candidate but then was told the position went internal but the recruiter said I had great feedback from the managers and they wanted me to keep looking for when these positions were available. I've had steps 1 and 2 with these and was told step 3 would be in 2 weeks.

So what do I do? Take Company "A" offer so i can work, maybe the offer will be better than I thought. And if I love it I stay....? If another comes along with an offer before I start, I can turn down company "A" and go with B, C or D? (There are an E and F too) I know I'm very lucky to have all these possibilities. I am afraid of hurt feelings at company "A" they were so nice, but I know that I need to take care of myself and not worry about others.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:56 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It is incredibly common. I think every job I have applied for over the past 2-3 decades has asked for references as part of the application package.
fishbrains is correct.

I've probably applied for 10 jobs in the past year. Each time I had to include references with the application. The one and only time my references were contacted, the employer had identified me as the top candidate and was preparing to make me an offer.

In the past 20 years of applying for jobs, I can only think of one exception to the above. The local school district I live in requires references be submitted with each application and will contact them by email as soon as the application is submitted. It probably has to do with their heightened concern for student safety. They'd like to know ASAP if someone applying to work there has some issue that precludes them from working with minors. Fortunately, the only time I applied to work there was when I was unemployed and didn't have to worry about them contacting my current manager!

Old 06-17-2018, 07:17 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
I always say no. Occasionally their client wants them screened before an interview which includes calling references. I had one headhunter want to talk to my references before the employer would even look at my resume. I told them no even though that would cost me the opportunity. I can't have my references being called every other day. Their time is valuable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search