Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 10:33 AM

125 posts, read 53,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscakes View Post
Wow- to be honest that sounds very odd that they are stretching it out. I wouldn't bet that there is an offer on the table just yet.. How big is this company? I work in recruiting/HR so I currently handles most of my company's offers and I will say- we move at lightning speed here (but then, we are a start-up ~45 person). As soon as I finish the reference checks, which usually takes about 2 days, I hop on the phone right away and give the offer to the candidate. I would think all the salary discussion and "admin" work needed to make an offer is already completed or in the works as you complete the reference checks. That's just.. weird. But hey, not every company is the same?
It's a university so like 2000 employees not to mention about 40,000 students! I talked to someone at my current job who used to work at the university and he said they have new software and such which could have caused a glitch somewhere. But still, she's not new to this so it's hard to understand. Someone I know who works, not in, but around HR people, said that it's possible she forgot to post internally and will have to go through the whole process again, but that seems weird. If she's been there for that long she can't forget something as big as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 09:05 AM

4,968 posts, read 2,711,215 times
I wouldn't worry about it. Your husband should just keep looking and interviewing at other companies. Despite the stringing along communication that he is getting from that university, he doesn't have the job yet. He should politely answer all those communications but never inquire himself. This makes him appear desperate to this university and they may think that he is more likely to take a lower wage.

That delaying tactic may be a management tool designed to see how desperate your husband is in order to calculate a wage just for him. At any rate, these stringing along communications are very unprofessional and should make any job candidate uncomfortable with that.

Old 06-27-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Your husband should just keep looking and interviewing at other companies. Despite the stringing along communication that he is getting from that university, he doesn't have the job yet. He should politely answer all those communications but never inquire himself. This makes him appear desperate to this university and they may think that he is more likely to take a lower wage.

That delaying tactic may be a management tool designed to see how desperate your husband is in order to calculate a wage just for him. At any rate, these stringing along communications are very unprofessional and should make any job candidate uncomfortable with that.
Yeah, I mean the thing is, the hiring manager who interviewed him asked him to add key words from the job description to his resume so that he WOULD get a higher wage so she isn't the one that is delaying things, although she said she missed an admin process on her end. I imagine HR needs to play by the book with such a large institution to avoid backlash of some kind. I wish that she would at least tell him what the issue is because otherwise it leads him to believe that there's something wrong with his candidacy. Like just say "We are still hiring you, we just need to fill in a few more things" instead of "the offer is going to be delayed due to something I missed." I mean the hiring manager gets the final decision, not HR, correct?

Old 06-27-2018, 01:21 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
The hiring manager picks the candidate, but needs HR's permission to fill the vacancy. If you do not jump through HR's hoops, you will not get permission to hire. They could be missing a signature from a VP or division head, they may have skipped the equity compliance review. No way of knowing unless they tell you. That's how it works where I am at.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
The hiring manager picks the candidate, but needs HR's permission to fill the vacancy. If you do not jump through HR's hoops, you will not get permission to hire. They could be missing a signature from a VP or division head, they may have skipped the equity compliance review. No way of knowing unless they tell you. That's how it works where I am at.
But isn't HR aware of the vacancy that's being filled? It's not like they are just surprising HR with it after doing all the interviews and then HR is like "Nah, I don't think so".

Old 06-27-2018, 04:30 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
But isn't HR aware of the vacancy that's being filled? It's not like they are just surprising HR with it after doing all the interviews and then HR is like "Nah, I don't think so".
Of course they are aware of the interview. They give permission to post and to interview. And, like I posted, they make sure hiring processes are followed.

Old 06-27-2018, 04:33 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper71 View Post
Is this a public or private educational institution?

Old 06-27-2018, 05:16 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Your husband has a job, right?
So relax.

Even if the interviewer or hiring manager or HR contact did say, "We are still hiring you, we just need to fill in a few more things" instead of "the offer is going to be delayed due to something I missed" ...you still wouldn't be able to go by that. Until he gets the written offer, chill.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Is this a public or private educational institution?
A very large public institution. Why do you ask?

Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 AM

So supposedly the manager is supposed to email by tomorrow with an update. Do you think at that point if she is just as vague as she has been already with things like if she says "HR is still working on an offer. Should get back to you early next week" if it's okay for him to respond with "Thanks for the update. Should I be concerned that I'm not going to get the job or is it just going through more steps?" I mean this will be the third time she's contacted him saying she'd have something to him and then doesn't. Don't you think he deserves a bit more info regarding the status?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search