Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 04:00 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times

Advertisements

Just curious.....when you have a choice:
-- do you pick the first, middle, or last day?
-- the earliest time in the morning? right before lunch, right after lunch? mid-late afternoon?

Do you have a "lucky" interview time...that you're superstitious about that you really prefer, or you go with the flow?

I tend to pick as soon as possible. But a day/time that also works around the bottom line of when I can be available.
I usually do NOT change my plans for an interview.
If I'm NOT free for certain times and I have a choice about when I can pick....I'll pick the first availability convenient for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 06:30 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
If I had a choice, I'll take the last day. Late afternoon. That way you're the most likely to be remembered and positively. After trudging through dozens of interviews, few will remember the first few people or anyone in the middle areas.

Unless they royally screwed up.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:15 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,898,177 times
I'm only available to interview on Wednesdays since that is my day off from work. So it doesn't matter if I'm first, middle, or last. If the employer can't fit me in on a Wednesday, then I won't be interviewing with them. Simple as that.

Old 06-15-2018, 04:35 AM

669 posts, read 581,979 times
Tyoically the day they have requested to interview me.

Old 06-15-2018, 05:08 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
More often than not, you're not likely to know if you are the first or last. Nor would you have a lot of control over that. I'd say just pick the best time that works for you. Some function better in the early morning, while others can think better towards the middle of the day.

Personally - I rather do it first thing in the morning. But again, that would be an option only if it fits the interviewers schedule.

As for what is more advantagous, I'm not sure how much it would matter in the grand scheme of things. As Bobsell mentioned, if you are one of the last, you may be remembered more. However, being the first may set the bar that all others are being compared to - or they may cut the interview process short if they feel they found the right person. Of course, the level of position/job may also matter. The higher the position, it's often more about soft skills and leadership abilities. So it becomes less objective. Meaning it's more about how well you fit into their culture.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Typically the day they have requested to interview me.
This, there is often no choice. In our case, for example, I will narrow it down from 30-40 applications to the 5-6 best to interview, and they are all scheduled for the same day. Time of day is their choice but obviously the first people we call have the best selection. I have found that it makes no difference to the chances of being selected. We take good notes and can still remember the first person well at the end of the day.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:40 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
If they offer multiple days/times, which is sort of rare, I always take the first available slot. I'm anxious to speak to them and this shows it.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:51 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
^^ Like you, Mr Geek, I usually pick the first day I'm available.
I think -- as with so many things -- whether they give you a choice of times -- just depends.

Personally, I've always found it off putting (as if they care) -- not to be given at least a couple of options for interview dates and times. To me it means they think you have nothing to do but be at their beck and call, and you can drop everything and be available.

If I recall correctly, most of the time I've been given options....if not as to day AND time....and least for the time. One company (Costco, holiday hiring) said here's the DAY we're interviewing, but there are still a few times available.

Then there's what I call the group cattle call. The Post Office gave people a choice of times to report, a given timeframe apart, and said allow for it to take 3-4 hours. I picked 1p...when I got there, there were people still waiting from 10:00 that morning! Interviewers said one of their "colleagues called out today, so were backed up." People were still sitting there -- tied, and not happy about the long wait -- but still there. And this was for a PART-time gig!

Old 06-19-2018, 04:30 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
I prefer to interview in the morning. I am a morning person.

Old 06-24-2018, 12:08 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
Waiting until they've seen everyone is a distinct advantage...IF they have not really found candidates who WOW them. Last person with hot skills and good presentation has an advantage. They are ready to get out the door, and you drive in looking sharp. They will remember you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search