Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,785 times

Advertisements

So I checked the box saying "do not contact" under my current employer. So, he called them anyways.
I did the interview, they called me to schedule training, which means I was hired right? Well, when they found out I probably did not need to be trained, the owner decided to call my current boss after checking the box "do not contact". My current employer asked the new employer NOT to hire me because he needed me as an employee and the new employer agreed not to hire me. So instead of my old boss getting his 2 weeks notice, I fired him for sabotaging me. Is any of this legal? If not, what can I do?

Joshua
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2018, 09:57 AM

167 posts, read 168,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Jordan View Post
So I checked the box saying "do not contact" under my current employer. So, he called them anyways.
I did the interview, they called me to schedule training, which means I was hired right? Well, when they found out I probably did not need to be trained, the owner decided to call my current boss after checking the box "do not contact". My current employer asked the new employer NOT to hire me because he needed me as an employee and the new employer agreed not to hire me. So instead of my old boss getting his 2 weeks notice, I fired him for sabotaging me. Is any of this legal? If not, what can I do?

Joshua
While it’s not illegal, it’s a dick move for sure. I’d be all over Glassdoor and Indeed with that.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:26 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
-- Do the two bosses/managers know each other?
-- Does the person who would have been the new manager at the new company have any history with the company you were leaving?

It would be intresting to know a lot more than what you've told.

-- Could your potentially new boss have designs himself on joining the company you were leaving?

The fact that your current/old boss didn't want to lose you means you're an asset and good worker who knows his $h!t. Why would the new guy not hire you just because the current boss said, "please don't hire him, because I need him. WTH is up with that?

Sooooo......you say YOU fired your current/old boss. So did you quit?
Technically of course, that means you are free to join the new company. BUT, would the boss who chose not to hire you, take you on anyway? On one hand he should, because of your assets (no training needed, good worker, and he wanted to hire you). On the other hand, you've shown you'll quit a job with no notice if you are (feel) skrooed.

IF you quit with no notice are you concerned about getting a new job? The current/old boss has already shown he'll sabotage people.....and that's jut current employees who are looking to leave....let alone workers who've quit and skrooed HIM, by not giving any notice.

Old 06-30-2018, 11:32 AM

856 posts, read 1,051,726 times
Exclamation Do Not Call

Quote:

Joshua

Sounds to me like you neglected to take advantage of the situation- you might have asked your current employer for a raise/promotion to keep you (while you continue to find another job). Or, seeing as your employer made it clear how valuable you are to his company, you might have then suggested the prospective employer significantly improve your current compensation.

Your employer did not "sabotage" you- he tried to keep you while he probably intended to find someone to take your place; someone more loyal.

Sounds like you handled this poorly. 'Firing' an employer is an emotional response, not a crafted strategy.

Paul

Old 06-30-2018, 12:02 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,480,512 times
Quote:

Joshua
What a jerk.

Old 06-30-2018, 12:27 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Quote:
Your employer did not "sabotage" you- he tried to keep you while he probably intended to find someone to take your place; someone more loyal.
Really? (SMH)

I wonder about the potential new employers motives and relationships with the OPS company......why didn't he grab someone he won't have to train, and is clearly of value.

OP, do you even still want to work for that potential boss after he's shown how spineless or deceiving he is? To have a job I'd probably let him know -- you old company and boss are not in the picture and not an issue anymore (don't put it that way obviously) and that you are INDEED available, free and clear. I'd be pihssed as crap at him, but for a paycheck and a job I did initially want -- I'd bite my tongue and suck it up.

Old 07-01-2018, 11:54 AM

139 posts, read 101,774 times
Quote:
I had this happen once before. However, my (then current) boss asked if I was looking elsewhere, and if so, whether he could do anything to keep me. When I asked him why he was bringing this up, he told me that he was reached out to by another employer (not sure if it was HR or manager or whoever). So, I thanked my current manager for telling me that, and told him (lied, basically) that I was not looking elsewhere. I did tell him that I would appreciate flexibility (more work from home), and better pay of my upcoming renewal. He was able to both of that, and I stayed there for another 2 years.

Needless to say, for the other employer, I politely told them that I was no longer available due to personal reasons. They reached out to me as recently as 2017, and I didn't even bother to respond.

Illegal or not, I just found it unacceptable especially after selecting 'do not contact current employer', as well as mentioning it to the HR personnel I was dealing with (at that time).

Both companies were Fortune 500 companies, so I was more than surprised that this kind of activity was going on.

Quote:
So instead of my old boss getting his 2 weeks notice, I fired him for sabotaging me. Is any of this legal? If not, what can I do?
Not sure what this means. Did you have a fight with your current boss and quit your job??

Old 07-02-2018, 05:43 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,323 times
I really hate when they do that.

Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,654 times
Quote:

Joshua
Yes, do a better job of selecting employers. Cause both of them are pretty stupid. If another company told me not to hire one of their employees, I would ignore it.

Old 07-27-2018, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,807 times
Completely wrong and unethical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search