Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 01:47 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,445,890 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for a month. I got a couple of hits. We'll see. I appreciate it when employers reject me right away. I can quickly cross it off my list and move on.

Searching for a job sucks. The only thing you can do is continue applying and hope someone wants you. I was presented with an interesting contract to hire position. I am not going to pursue it. I want to work for a company willing to invest in me. I am so stressed that I decided to take a break until later in the week.

How are things coming along for you? Are you employed? Are you noticing any trends? There is no rhyme or reason. Perhaps someone will like my name. It is really that subjective.

My advice is become a skilled professional. I knew this from a young age but I never had the interest. I guess nutrition would have been the cleanest. It is not financially feasible at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 08:30 AM

1,063 posts, read 690,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyfacetomatonose View Post
That sound really entitled. Why should they invest in you? What make you special out of the billions of people on the planet competing for the same resources? Why not invest in yourself?
Because there are employers that will outright hire him as a permanent employee. It's a free market - You are free to offer contract-to-hire and then free to deal with the quality of folks that are comfortable with those opportunities. He is free to hold out for an employer that will outright offer him a permanent position because they see his value.

America has an incredibly subjective spectrum of "qualifications" most of them having virtually nothing to do with ability to do the job.

Also - If you want people to "invest in themselves" well they need money to do that. Where do they get money? A job. There are no more family inherited farms and few inherit the family business anymore like a corner store or shop. So a job is the primary way to get income to invest in oneself. Let's use some logic here once in a while shall we?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
That sound really entitled. Why should they invest in you? What make you special out of the billions of people on the planet competing for the same resources? Why not invest in yourself?
No, it is a person who has been down this road before and I was professionally raped. I will never allow it to happen again. I know what I have to bring to the table.

I have been working for twenty plus years. I cannot think of many whom I would regard as actually good. As a consumer, it is hard to find good service.

I want a job that will reward me for the good work I do. If contract to hire works for you, I say rock on.

That is the beauty of life. What works for one may not work for the other.

Old 07-15-2018, 03:44 PM

757 posts, read 1,089,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I have been searching for a month. I got a couple of hits. We'll see. I appreciate it when employers reject me right away. I can quickly cross it off my list and move on.

Searching for a job sucks. The only thing you can do is continue applying and hope someone wants you. I was presented with an interesting contract to hire position. I am not going to pursue it. I want to work for a company willing to invest in me. I am so stressed that I decided to take a break until later in the week.

How are things coming along for you? Are you employed? Are you noticing any trends? There is no rhyme or reason. Perhaps someone will like my name. It is really that subjective.

My advice is become a skilled professional. I knew this from a young age but I never had the interest. I guess nutrition would have been the cleanest. It is not financially feasible at this point.
My hunt is going slower than expected. I am an older person and while many here do not believe in ageism, it's there and one of my biggest hurdles. It used to take me a much shorter time to find a good job when I was younger with half the interviewing skills and know-how. Now it takes me much longer even with being more creative, resourceful, knowledgeable and possessing a much longer list of accomplishments and skills.

I am finding that employers, in general, are still slowly adjusting to a more competitive job market. Many of the job postings sound the same with long lists of unicorn requirements. I am also finding that HR departments still think it's 2008 and that it is okay to be rude and unprofessional. I am guessing that will change after a few rounds of their top candidates accepting other offers because they were treated better and were hired with half of the red tape.

While I still apply for jobs, I am finding that reaching out directly to decision-makers is a better approach. LinkedIn has been very helpful in allowing me to break through some of the gatekeeping.

The thing is that many try to figure out what's going on and the simple fact is that you will probably never know. Did the hiring manager just like someone else better? Did the employer change their mind about needing an extra person mid-way through the hiring process? Did one of the company's employees recommend their sister's cousin? There are just so many variables that it can just drive you crazy. Your best bet is just to work on getting as many qualified opportunities in your pipeline so that the law of numbers work in your favor.

Good luck to all.

Old 07-15-2018, 05:37 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,050,343 times
Currently underemployed and searching for something from my previous background, of which I have 11 years direct experience. Been at it for 2 years, no gaps in my work history whatsoever but cant make much progress. Left one job in that time for a tiny step up in a job im happier in but the pay is low. Just got hours cut for the Summer and got my resume redone professionally. Took a short break while that was being done and am back at it as of last week.

It's been a real battle. I noticed when I had no current job listed on my resume I got 3 times more callbacks. The exact opposite of what one would expect.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
My hunt is going slower than expected. I am an older person and while many here do not believe in ageism, it's there and one of my biggest hurdles. It used to take me a much shorter time to find a good job when I was younger with half the interviewing skills and know-how. Now it takes me much longer even with being more creative, resourceful, knowledgeable and possessing a much longer list of accomplishments and skills.

I am finding that employers, in general, are still slowly adjusting to a more competitive job market. Many of the job postings sound the same with long lists of unicorn requirements. I am also finding that HR departments still think it's 2008 and that it is okay to be rude and unprofessional. I am guessing that will change after a few rounds of their top candidates accepting other offers because they were treated better and were hired with half of the red tape.

While I still apply for jobs, I am finding that reaching out directly to decision-makers is a better approach. LinkedIn has been very helpful in allowing me to break through some of the gatekeeping.

The thing is that many try to figure out what's going on and the simple fact is that you will probably never know. Did the hiring manager just like someone else better? Did the employer change their mind about needing an extra person mid-way through the hiring process? Did one of the company's employees recommend their sister's cousin? There are just so many variables that it can just drive you crazy. Your best bet is just to work on getting as many qualified opportunities in your pipeline so that the law of numbers work in your favor.

Good luck to all.
The funny thing is no one wanted me when I was younger. I ended up staying at my company for over a decade. Thank God, I have a traditional pension. Priceless

I find I am most frustrated after the interview. I've never prepped so much for an interview before. I am glad my anxiety has subsided for now. I used to shake. It was awful. I think I did well but who knows? I will follow up once and forget about it.

I usually get jobs by posting my resume online. I have been fortunate three times to be backed by former coworkers. It was a complete coincidence each time.

There are too many variables. I do not want to think about it. I have to trust God I will be matched with the right opportunity. Not all opportunities are good.

My job is to submit as many applications as possible. What can I really do? There is no one to speak on my behalf. I am alone. Sigh.

Old 07-15-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Currently underemployed and searching for something from my previous background, of which I have 11 years direct experience. Been at it for 2 years, no gaps in my work history whatsoever but cant make much progress. Left one job in that time for a tiny step up in a job im happier in but the pay is low. Just got hours cut for the Summer and got my resume redone professionally. Took a short break while that was being done and am back at it as of last week.

It's been a real battle. I noticed when I had no current job listed on my resume I got 3 times more callbacks. The exact opposite of what one would expect.
I am sorry. I have been there and I have gaps. Activity is good.

Good luck with your hits.

Old 07-15-2018, 07:47 PM

13,011 posts, read 12,960,469 times
Quote:
It isn’t entitled at all.

There are many models for structuring the employer:employee relationship. OP seems to be looking for the long term employment model, where the employer pays a salary, benefits, and provides some professional development. There are other employment models of course, and you seem to advocate a different one. That’s fine, multiple models can coexist.

Why do you feel you must attack goodlife for his/her preferred method of employment?

Old 07-15-2018, 10:28 PM

86 posts, read 122,440 times
I had mentioned it before, that I was rejected Tuesday for a job that I've been wishing for. I did not meet the unadvertised requirements, although I have more than enough experience in XYZ, I did not have enough experience doing Y solely. That doesn't even make since to me, but whatever. I am 7 months into my job search looking for a better opportunity, I don't want to be underemployed. I recently have had some devastations happen to me that has caused my life to be in a turmoil, so I can't take any old salary (I can keep my old one for that matter). I need to support my family. I am newbie so I have made a lot of mistakes in my job search, but I am learning from each of them. I hoping that soon and very soon something good will come through. Most of the jobs I have been rejected from, with the exception of one, I can list many cons about the position and the company, so I am sure something better is coming. I hope this week. Crosses fingers.

Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It isn’t entitled at all.

There are many models for structuring the employer:employee relationship. OP seems to be looking for the long term employment model, where the employer pays a salary, benefits, and provides some professional development. There are other employment models of course, and you seem to advocate a different one. That’s fine, multiple models can coexist.

Why do you feel you must attack goodlife for his/her preferred method of employment?
It will not allow me to rep you. They need to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search