Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 09:33 PM

21 posts, read 13,416 times

Advertisements

how do you find a job somewhere before actually moving there? i have a good idea where i wanna live i just don't know how to arrange to have a job there before. i'm not really looking for anything fancy just any job i can get and start right away i don't really have anything keeping me here.

can i post an ad on craigslist saying looking for a job or osmething like that? just leave my number and say im just looking for anything to get started down there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2018, 10:17 PM

428 posts, read 416,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul3411 View Post
how do you find a job somewhere before actually moving there? i have a good idea where i wanna live i just don't know how to arrange to have a job there before. i'm not really looking for anything fancy just any job i can get and start right away i don't really have anything keeping me here.

can i post an ad on craigslist saying looking for a job or osmething like that? just leave my number and say im just looking for anything to get started down there?
Based on your experience, start looking at the local companies within a reasonable distance from where you think you will live (and with some planning for how you will commute) and go from there.

Took husband 3 months to get an interview out of state for one that became a job he took, and another about a month for one he ultimately did not take and the offers happened to occur during the same week... And there were a lot of applications he filled out before then... Probably 20 before getting the two "bites" that became offers. But out of state prospects tend to be risky for all kinds of reasons for an employer, I'm sure you can imagine.

The industry you're in will matter, and really it's about whether you can fill a position that is hard to fill otherwise by local candidates. For example, experienced IT upper management in TX or FL, where those jobs have a lot of younger workers and increasing numbers of college students but not yet having a pool of really experienced people, where those industries need seasoned people. These were geographical areas that when my husband talked with employers, they really need the help, especially with the higher up jobs.

So anyway... Start by searching to see what is out there and get an idea of the market in the area you want to move near- someplace like Indeed- and then visit those company sites... Apply directly to their site and not via the job board site. I used to recruit for employers in higher ed and healthcare... It's better to go to the source to apply. Also, just Google who the big employer's are in the area and search their career boards. Lastly, there is an increasing amount of jobs with certain experience that are starting to become remote, especially tele-services that require just a couple of years of customer service background, so if you need to start where you are and can use that as a springboard by establishing a sort of income and bring the job with you, that is probably the ideal situation for many people.

Good luck! Requires a lot of patience.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:07 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
how do you find a job somewhere before actually moving there?
Have some unique skill in short supply there.

Quote:
i'm not really looking for anything fancy just any job i can get...
Most places already have 10's of thousands of marginal folks like that already.
They don't need to import more.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:46 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:

You need to have SOME focus about this before packing up and leaving what you have now. Jobs you have the skills to do and want to pursue. Just moving to a place you think you like isn't enough OP. If you really don't know what jobs you can do, you'll need a lot of savings to cushion you through a prolonged job search.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:20 AM

21 posts, read 13,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
Based on your experience, start looking at the local companies within a reasonable distance from where you think you will live (and with some planning for how you will commute) and go from there.

Took husband 3 months to get an interview out of state for one that became a job he took, and another about a month for one he ultimately did not take and the offers happened to occur during the same week... And there were a lot of applications he filled out before then... Probably 20 before getting the two "bites" that became offers. But out of state prospects tend to be risky for all kinds of reasons for an employer, I'm sure you can imagine.

The industry you're in will matter, and really it's about whether you can fill a position that is hard to fill otherwise by local candidates. For example, experienced IT upper management in TX or FL, where those jobs have a lot of younger workers and increasing numbers of college students but not yet having a pool of really experienced people, where those industries need seasoned people. These were geographical areas that when my husband talked with employers, they really need the help, especially with the higher up jobs.

So anyway... Start by searching to see what is out there and get an idea of the market in the area you want to move near- someplace like Indeed- and then visit those company sites... Apply directly to their site and not via the job board site. I used to recruit for employers in higher ed and healthcare... It's better to go to the source to apply. Also, just Google who the big employer's are in the area and search their career boards. Lastly, there is an increasing amount of jobs with certain experience that are starting to become remote, especially tele-services that require just a couple of years of customer service background, so if you need to start where you are and can use that as a springboard by establishing a sort of income and bring the job with you, that is probably the ideal situation for many people.

Good luck! Requires a lot of patience.
wheres a good place to start looking for them? im really looking for data entry or something i have a really fast typing speed, i have certification in training with microsoft office, and other qualifications in that field. i've just never looked for jobs outside of a place where ive lived before. is it better to look at local ads like the local classifieds or use a site like monster or indeed?

Old 07-30-2018, 09:26 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
im really looking for data entry or something
i have a really fast typing speed, i have certification in training with microsoft office...
These are NOT unique skills in short supply anywhere.

Quote:
i've just never looked for jobs outside of a place where ive lived before.
wheres a good place to start looking for them?
You need to apply for work where you live.
Almost everyone does.

If you don't like where you live... you need to move.
Whether, or how, someone can succeed at moving somewhere new is a whole other set of questions.
The first Q on that list is about wage rates there vs housing costs.

Old 07-31-2018, 06:58 PM

326 posts, read 199,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Have some unique skill in short supply there.
That's how I did it... I was laid off from a CNC machinist position on the east coast back in 2010 and after not finding anything locally I started looking nationwide.

I sent a resume to Seattle and got a call the same day. Not really a surprise given that Boeing and other related work is all over the place out here. I ended up moving out here a few weeks after getting the call and worked in aerospace for a few years... then moved to the fishing/food industry which is a lot less paperwork... LOL

Old 08-01-2018, 02:26 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
There is no need to hire an out of state candidate for an entry level job. It is not worth the hassle, and there are enough local candidates.

Old 08-05-2018, 06:25 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,966 times
Since you don't have a specialized skill set, I would move first if at all possible. It is not impossible to get out of town interviews (I have had them), but it is very tough.

When I was looking out of town, I put in my resume that I "would be moving to the area". I did not specify a date since I didn't actually have one. I did get some calls and my skill set is not particulary specialized.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
Quote:

I am doing this. You need an address in your new state. While it is ideal to have a career in demand, it is not a deal breaker if you do not. Post your resume on job boards like Career Builders, LinkedIn and Indeed. They do not post your address. The temp agencies will reach out. At that point, you can tell them you are in the process of relocating but you have to be prepared to go at your own expense for an in person interview. Most employers do interviews by phone. They invite you in when they are interested. I would be relunctant to accept any offer that did not require an in person interview before a decision is made. You need an address for applications. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search