Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 08:27 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't automatically think any of those things. So many factors play into this. What field? What market? What personal characteristics? What degree/school?

If someone had NO job in all that time, I would have more questions. If someone wasn't set in a career, there are too many factors to judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Not finding a job for years after graduation shouldn't be an issue in today's economy. If you can't find something, it's on you. YMMV on something in your field.

This was a real issue for the cohorts that graduating in the Great Recession until maybe 2013/2014 or so. I was very lucky to make $15/hr back in 2010 when I graduated in east TN. Many of my friends were unemployed or in junk jobs like food service. Jobs were being lost, even in the major metros. Hiring was basically seized up for quite awhile.

A lot of those folks didn't recover well. One of my best friends had a finance degree from the state flagship. He got stuck working as an account manager at a rent-a-center and never got back on track. I have friends, who are now in their early 30s, who never got onto a career track after the damage in the recession.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
A job or a job in their desired field?

If somebody/anybody was 4 years without a job, then honestly I'd think they unless they were disabled, that they were either lazy or living off somebody else.

I would have turned to retail, food industry, or general labor well before the 4 year mark.

In terms of finding a job in your desired field, that could easily take 4 years, or never happen in your life, depending on various factors. Employers can be extremely picky and things like ageism are very real.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:35 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
We have a poster (I believe he may now be in his late 40s), or used to, who has a degree and has worked as a cook in greasy spoons since he graduated a couple or three decades ago.

The reason? He didn't go to law school like he planned because he didn't want to accrue more debt. In the meantime he defaulted on his student loans and had judgements filed against him.

According to him he was unable to use his degree to find any job over the years. I believe it was in one of the Social Sciences.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:15 AM

30 posts, read 18,098 times
Well...if there's a game being played and you aren't aware of the fact that you're playing it, then needless to say you'll be caught out.

This is true about everything in life.

And sometimes the best move is to stop playing, pretend like you'll be right back, quietly leave...and then go find something else to do.

Old 10-05-2018, 11:27 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
It could be anything.

In general there are not enough good quality high wage jobs to satisfy the number of high aptitude college graduates. There is a structural underemployment/unemployment problem and this will cause a societal rift in about 20 years. (It's already bubbling up now).

Old 10-05-2018, 04:13 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,765,393 times
The problem is, once you hit that 6 month mark or longer, you are branded and it becomes extremely challenging after that, even for a low-wage job.

Always, always work - even if it is a horrible job. Employers are very judgmental when you have been out of work (sometimes it is justified, sometimes it is not), degree or no degree.

Old 10-05-2018, 05:53 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,185,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
The problem is, once you hit that 6 month mark or longer, you are branded and it becomes extremely challenging after that, even for a low-wage job.

Always, always work - even if it is a horrible job. Employers are very judgmental when you have been out of work (sometimes it is justified, sometimes it is not), degree or no degree.
Absolutely.

Every single survey, study, etc... has proven this over and over.

Grads who don't find a job after 6+ months from graduation, are not wanted much in the professional world.

It really is too bad, because companies are passing over a lot of good hires and then complaining about how they can't find anyone.

Last edited by High Altitude; 10-05-2018 at 06:09 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 08:17 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post

1) I would think their degree is not a functional one (such as Liberal Arts or General Studies).
Not thinking very carefully I'd say. Many attorneys have undergrad degrees in Liberal Arts such as Philosophy. I know many people in the IT field that don't have STEMS degrees. What you have the degree in really doesn't matter much anymore, just that you have one and it's from an accredited school. Employers want experience plus a degree.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:19 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
If you met someone who could not find a career, let’s say 4 years after graduating. What would you assume about this person?

Is it natural?
Is it his or her fault?
Poor networking?
Not applying to as many jobs as they should?

Generally most people I meet say you’ll get a job somewhere 6 months to a 1.5 years after graduation if you make it your job to look for work and network. Do you guys agree?
I'd say they didn't have direction of what they wanted to do from the start or they continued to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search