Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,353,948 times

Advertisements

If you met someone who could not find a career, let’s say 4 years after graduating. What would you assume about this person?

Is it natural?
Is it his or her fault?
Poor networking?
Not applying to as many jobs as they should?

Generally most people I meet say you’ll get a job somewhere 6 months to a 1.5 years after graduation if you make it your job to look for work and network. Do you guys agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2018, 09:37 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,733,131 times
None of the above.

1) I would think their degree is not a functional one (such as Liberal Arts or General Studies).

2) Perhaps they have an unstable employment history which can make finding a job very challenging even with a degree.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:31 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
If you met someone who could not find a career, let’s say 4 years after graduating. What would you assume about this person?

Is it natural?
Is it his or her fault?
Poor networking?

Generally most people I meet say you’ll get a job somewhere 6 months to a 1.5 years after graduation if you make it your job to look for work and network. Do you guys agree?
Add another one to the list:

Were they too picky, hard to please?

No realistic job offered to them based on their qualifications was acceptable. There are people who have an inflated view of their worth or they want everything to land in their laps.

Have a relative like this. She somehow never returned to the workforce after childbearing because no one would pay her the executive salary she felt she deserved. That child is now in college.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,471,041 times
They choose to not work...

No one "finds" a career, you make one out of the job you get that you want to keep doing long term

Old 10-02-2018, 02:09 PM

925 posts, read 1,326,233 times
Well, mental health becomes a big issue for the job seeker after a certain amount of time. The person has to dig themselves out of the large unemployment gap while also staying mentally strong.

Old 10-02-2018, 03:36 PM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,252 posts, read 4,271,034 times
Here's the deal, people have to be willing to work outside of their fields until they can either find something in their field or make such an impression on their new job that something opens up for them there. Jobs aren't guaranteed regardless of your degree, and you should be doing something regardless of what it is.

I have an English degree (wanted to teach but student teaching helped me decide against it) and took a job out of college in customer service for GTE (now Verizon). Great company, crappy job. I busted my butt and did the best work I could, and it wasn't even a year before they put me into a better position, and that was the start of my IT career.

It's not rocket science. You just need to show the company you're working for that you're worth an investment in time, and things will work out for you.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,059,466 times
A friend worked for a few years in data entry, after he got his MIS degree. He smoked weed every day. It really screwed with his motivation to do anything. When he found out I made 6 figures without a degree, he studied a book that I gave him. He went from $30k/yr to $60k/yr doing SQL work.

Now, he is smoking weed every day again. He watches youtube while at work for a few hours a day. I was happy to have helped him. I am disappointed that I had such a short term impact on his career path.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:30 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,165,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
A friend worked for a few years in data entry, after he got his MIS degree. He smoked weed every day. It really screwed with his motivation to do anything. When he found out I made 6 figures without a degree, he studied a book that I gave him. He went from $30k/yr to $60k/yr doing SQL work.

Now, he is smoking weed every day again. He watches youtube while at work for a few hours a day. I was happy to have helped him. I am disappointed that I had such a short term impact on his career path.
Drugs can really do bad things for you. Not everyone can handle being a casual user.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:36 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,795,980 times
Unwilling or unable to relocate is a common cause of this, I think. As is graduating with no practical work history.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:44 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,165,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post

Is it natural?
Is it his or her fault?
Poor networking?

It completely depends on the situation and person. After what I went through, I really try not to judge until I get the whole story. Sometimes the things that are holding you back are in your past or just who you are (older, long term unemployed etc), and there is nothing you can do about it. No matter what you do, no matter how much effort you put in, people just can't get over your past.

It also depends on what the job market is like overall. Lots of people couldn't find work during the worst of it, and once you are long term unemployed, no one wants you for a professional type job.

When finding a career type job in your field of study, lots of graduates never make it, and it has nothing to do with them. There simply are not enough entry level career type professional jobs. Especially since employers stopped training and developing their workforces. It is getting better today, but that does nothing for people who have already racked up time unemployed.

When it comes to just any low wage job, things have gotten so much better over just the last year, but not everyone can do just any job. Some people have physical reasons/limitations and they can't work physical jobs, or even stand all day etc.... so all those type of jobs aren't a possibility for them. And when it comes to low wage jobs, I ran into a ton of issues with being over qualified. No one wanted to hire me at all for those jobs.

Eventually, if I wanted to make money, I was forced into self employment. I had no other choice.

Don't get me wrong, plenty of people have issues with drugs, depression and other mental illness issues, being too picky or are just plain lazy, but to automatically think that when someone can't find work is just plain wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search