Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 03:20 PM

408 posts, read 431,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
If people only knew what goes on in many places during the hiring process. Don't beat yourself up over it, and keep in touch because if you made a great impression on everyone they will think of you again.
Thanks for this. Just curious, what do you mean by things that go on in the hiring process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2018, 07:14 PM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times
I know it's so disappointing when you've made it to the final round of interviews and don't get the job. Here are some reasons that happens (which may or may not apply)

multiple candidates are in the final round (it's often for time management that multiple candidates are scheduled on the same day when everyone in the hiring process is available); another candidate had a particular skills, experience, personal qualities that made them a better fit. Sometimes they bring experience, skills, etc. beyond the job requirements.

personality fit - certain hiring managers favor people with certain personalities -- enthusiasm, entroversion. This is highly subjective and can vary from manager to manager.

poor interview skills (not too likely this far in the process) - talks too much; goes off on tangents; poor listening skills.

reference check - a reference didn't check out; candidate did not have job title, level of responsibility indicated on resume/application.

referral - another candidate surfaced from an employee or external referral

It's not likely you will receive feedback -- candidates can get defensive, argue about criteria, ask for another chance -- and there is no benefit to the company to give feedback.

You should feel good you got as far as you did in the process. You might want to look into a mock interview to ask someone to evaluate your interview skills.

If it's any consolation, I was rejected for a job and then later contacted after the first choice didn't work out.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:09 AM

408 posts, read 431,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
I know it's so disappointing when you've made it to the final round of interviews and don't get the job. Here are some reasons that happens (which may or may not apply)

multiple candidates are in the final round (it's often for time management that multiple candidates are scheduled on the same day when everyone in the hiring process is available); another candidate had a particular skills, experience, personal qualities that made them a better fit. Sometimes they bring experience, skills, etc. beyond the job requirements.

personality fit - certain hiring managers favor people with certain personalities -- enthusiasm, entroversion. This is highly subjective and can vary from manager to manager.

poor interview skills (not too likely this far in the process) - talks too much; goes off on tangents; poor listening skills.

reference check - a reference didn't check out; candidate did not have job title, level of responsibility indicated on resume/application.

referral - another candidate surfaced from an employee or external referral

It's not likely you will receive feedback -- candidates can get defensive, argue about criteria, ask for another chance -- and there is no benefit to the company to give feedback.

You should feel good you got as far as you did in the process. You might want to look into a mock interview to ask someone to evaluate your interview skills.

If it's any consolation, I was rejected for a job and then later contacted after the first choice didn't work out.
This makes a lot of sense thank you. It's hard when nothing objectively "went wrong" and I felt like I hit it off with the interviewers. By contrast, I have another interview at a different company in which I know one of the managers -- the phone screening went horribly, I felt I wasn't really that qualified and didn't have the experience they require. And yet I just found out I have an in-person interview and I'm pretty sure it's because of that connection. I am grateful for this interview but it also makes me see how the hiring process isn't always that fair.

Old 10-07-2018, 05:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
This makes a lot of sense thank you. It's hard when nothing objectively "went wrong" and I felt like I hit it off with the interviewers. By contrast, I have another interview at a different company in which I know one of the managers -- the phone screening went horribly, I felt I wasn't really that qualified and didn't have the experience they require. And yet I just found out I have an in-person interview and I'm pretty sure it's because of that connection. I am grateful for this interview but it also makes me see how the hiring process isn't always that fair.
The person who can do the job the best almost never gets hired. It is more about relationships, fit and connections with people, than skills.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:14 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
The person who can do the job the best almost never gets hired. It is more about relationships, fit and connections with people, than skills.
And how do you know who can do the job best if you don’t know them and never worked with them? Exactly.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Hi everyone, just wanted to hear how you all deal with being turned down for an offer.

I'm honestly a bit bummed today (also happens to be my birthday so that kind of stinks). I was thrilled about getting an interview for a position at a company in my city. I've used the company's services regularly and I love its mission. The position sounded quite interesting, the company office culture is awesome (freebies, casual work environment, dog friendly) and the pay was phenomenal.

I made it through several rounds of interviews ending with the final interview -- in-person with multiple managers. I had thought the in-person interview went really well overall.

Well I open my email today and it's a generic "we've decided to move forward with other candidates" email.

I'm not sure what went wrong. I guess I just wasn't quite what they were looking for, my experience not quite the right fit, I can only speculate. I'm moving forward with other jobs but it's hard not to take it personally. How do you deal with rejection? Do you ever email the recruiter back and ask for feedback? Thanks everyone.
Unless you are entry level and haven't picked your direction yet, the job you will be doing is ... the job you will be doing.

For instance, if you do accounting for HBO or Pixar, is it a little bit cooler than doing accounting for some no-name engineering firm (like the one I work with)?

Yes, it is. But at the end of the day, you're going to be doing accounting.

OTOH, if you are doing animation for HBO or Pixar, that is cool. But it is also cool if you're doing animation for a no-name engineering firm (not that we need that).

Make sense?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:04 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
Thank you for starting this thread...Currently going through this. All the comments are helpful and yes we have to pick ourselves and keep going

Old 10-14-2018, 09:49 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
And how do you know who can do the job best if you don’t know them and never worked with them? Exactly.
You get to know them, i.e. interview, and examine their past accomplishments and how they did it.

I never understood why people just love to hire the person they get along with personally the best, when it is that person who isn't the best person for the job, or can even do the job at all.

But hey, beers after work will be fun and who cares if the work doesn't get done to the standard needed or the company doesn't accomplish anything close to what it could.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:00 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Thanks for this. Just curious, what do you mean by things that go on in the hiring process?
While the employer tries to put on a good front, often back stage they can have a whole host of internal problems and distractions that has nothing to do with the people applying for the job. This can lead them to not picking the best person because they didn't consider everyone carefully and weren't focused on their real objectives. I could give you detailed examples, but that's what it boils down to. You did your best, made a great impression and have good contacts to hopefully use in the future. Then you did great and you should celebrate that.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
You get to know them, i.e. interview, and examine their past accomplishments and how they did it.

I never understood why people just love to hire the person they get along with personally the best, when it is that person who isn't the best person for the job, or can even do the job at all.

But hey, beers after work will be fun and who cares if the work doesn't get done to the standard needed or the company doesn't accomplish anything close to what it could.
You’re resume is primarily for determining how good or skilled you are, not your interview. There could be 100s of equally qualified people. Interview is about soft skills and fit and making sure you aren’t lying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search