Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 12:52 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

As the thread title suggests, I graduated from college (after returning to school a few years ago) a few months ago. To make a long story short, I needed to remain at my curent job (that I worked at through college)/current location through the summer for various reasons, and thus, was only able casually job browse until now.

While serious job searching efforts have resumed, I've had a chance to reflect more on how I want to apply my degree (Bus Admin/Finance). For the industries/positions I'm most interested in, I will most likely need to relocate to a new metro. I've needed some extra time to reflect on if I really wanted to do that or not, and have decided it is something I'm willing to do.

So here's the main dillema I'm in now - it will sound like whining to many of you, but simply put, I'm feeling pretty burned out from several years of non-stop full time work and school, and I need a bit of a breather.

I'm trying to be able to find a job offer, but be able to start 5-6 weeks out (to give 2 weeks notice to my current employer, 2-3 weeks of time off to go travel, as I cannot get this much time off from where I work, and an extra week for moving if the job is out of state).

Is this going to be basically impossible for a recent grad to negotiate? I have steady work history, and the degree is from a reputable school, but I don't have white collar/professional experience yet, and I'm worried that will hurt my ability to negotiate a start date further out (i.e - that I will need to drop everything to secure an offer).

Just trying to get some advice from others whom may have been in the position I'm in. I would much rather not risk the blow to finances/career opportunity that could come from quitting my current job w/out another lined up (i.e - if I got stuck unemployed for months). But I need to find out if that's a risk I have to take or not to get that kind of time.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2018, 01:16 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
It is going to depend on each employer and their specific needs at the moment. Some will work with you, some won't. A delayed start date is much easier to work with than a wishy-washy candidate who is not sure if they want the job or not.

Old 10-03-2018, 04:12 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
When you negotiate, just say you have personal commitments and you would like to start on xyz date. Don't sound demanding. Play it cool. They may counter and you'll take it from there.

Old 10-04-2018, 07:49 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Is it possible for a new, inexperienced grad to negotiate a start date 6 weeks out? Yes.

Is it likely? No.

Will it result in the job offer being rescinded? Maybe.

It’s definitely situational.

Old 10-04-2018, 09:51 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
When you negotiate, just say you have personal commitments and you would like to start on xyz date. Don't sound demanding. Play it cool. They may counter and you'll take it from there.
Agreed, that's all you can do. You may have to choose between the job or a couple of weeks off.

Old 10-04-2018, 05:33 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,114,245 times
It depends on the size of the company.

I am working at a Fortune 500 company that's interviewing students graduating in Spring 2019. They will be sending out job offers in November for the seniors to start in Summer 2019. Six weeks is nothing for the new grad program. Some new hires ask an additional 3 months and start in Fall 2019.

Smaller companies will want you to start within 2 weeks.

Old 10-05-2018, 03:49 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
It depends on your credentials and the region the role is in. For a BA/BS with no prior experience in corporate you don't have much bargaining power. They claim this is a good job seeker's market but that's false. Even at the 10 year experience level mark I have recruiters telling me you need to be ready to work within 4 weeks absolute max. So the most you could probably hope to bargain for is 4, definitely not 6. Unless you are moving to a region where it's almost impossible to get young people to relocate to (i.e. - Montana?)

Old 10-05-2018, 03:16 PM

905 posts, read 1,102,038 times
Well - this actually paints a bit better of a picture than I was expecting, lol (that it's situational/negotiable within reason in some circumstances).

Truthfully, the 6 weeks time frame was the max I had in mind, but I'm hoping to be able to negotiate for 4 (I can still take some random days off at my current job to help tie me over).

I guess my last question is this - do I have a bit more wiggle room in negotiating with a long distance offer (because of having to move) vs a local offer?

Old 10-06-2018, 12:45 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
^^ The answer to that is yes.

If you've been honest with the, and I assume you have, or you would be, then they know when they're interviewing and considering you, that you're out of town or out of state....they know how far away you are and how far you'd have to relocate.
So they should already be mindful of that.

I know think anyone is going to give you six weeks. But you might get four.

The most I've ever gotten was three weeks...for a move from PA to DC. (But that's also all I asked for, as I really wanted the job) I tend to not even ask for anything I think might gum up the works. I don't want anything to make them think twice. But that's me. Others ask for the moon and go-for-broke types.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:45 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
^^ The answer to that is yes.

If you've been honest with the, and I assume you have, or you would be, then they know when they're interviewing and considering you, that you're out of town or out of state....they know how far away you are and how far you'd have to relocate.
So they should already be mindful of that.

I know think anyone is going to give you six weeks. But you might get four.

The most I've ever gotten was three weeks...for a move from PA to DC. (But that's also all I asked for, as I really wanted the job) I tend to not even ask for anything I think might gum up the works. I don't want anything to make them think twice. But that's me. Others ask for the moon and go-for-broke types.
It all comes down to whether you really need the role or not. If they are more interested in you then ask for more. But that's rare these days. Most view even senior execs as easily replaceable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search