Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,734,847 times

Advertisements

I thought this was not legal, but I am running into this all the time in my search for a better job. I am in my 50's, so it is an issue. Then there will be a disclaimer about "this information will not be forwarded to the hiring manager..." DUH. That is because they will never see it! It will end up in the trash. It is just frustrating. Needless to say, I don't hear back. I see questions regarding gender and race, too, but those are always optional or a box to select "I don't wish to answer".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 11:53 PM

40 posts, read 40,480 times
I'd skip any application that asks for my age

Old 11-05-2018, 05:55 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,474,238 times
they can ask... they cant use it to base decisions off of...

its harder to prove they didnt on the slippery slope if they know your age, so most dont ask. but asking isnt illegal by itself to ask

Old 11-05-2018, 09:38 AM

6,512 posts, read 8,299,564 times
It's legal to ask. It's illegal to base their hiring decision upon your answer.

If a company was smart, they'd remove that from the application so that the possibility of age discrimination would not even come into question.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:41 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,205,776 times
All employers with at least 100 employees are required to file EEO-1 survey annually with the EEOC. Federal government contractors and first-tier subcontractors with 50 or more employees and at least $50,000 in contracts must also file.This requires that the employer accumulate race and gender data from those applying for work, but not age. Still, it's likely that they collect age data in order to have evidence to fight any future age discrimination claims, so they can show that they have hired people over age 40, or that none have applied. Here, that EEOC survey data is definitely not shared with anyone involved in the actual hiring process.

Old 11-05-2018, 02:26 PM

602 posts, read 499,669 times
While not actually illegal (at least under federal law), it is bad practice for an employer to ask for age/date of birth on the initial application (beyond asking if you are of a minimum age for the job due to labor and other laws). If the DOB is needed for identification on a background check or for a purpose after hire (e.g. insurance, pension, taxes, etc.) then it would be an acceptable question at that point. (Same thing should apply for SS numbers by the way, but for different reasons.)

ETA: Any legal job in the U.S. requires you to complete Form I-9 (to verify you are legal to work in the country) after hire, and that form asks for your DOB, so you will always have to provide it at that time.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
All employers with at least 100 employees are required to file EEO-1 survey annually with the EEOC. Federal government contractors and first-tier subcontractors with 50 or more employees and at least $50,000 in contracts must also file.This requires that the employer accumulate race and gender data from those applying for work, but not age. Still, it's likely that they collect age data in order to have evidence to fight any future age discrimination claims, so they can show that they have hired people over age 40, or that none have applied. Here, that EEOC survey data is definitely not shared with anyone involved in the actual hiring process.
I notice the EEOC gender and race questions are optional (or there is a "choose not to disclose" button). But with age, there is no such option. I just think it is wrong prior to getting an interview to have to disclose that.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyXY View Post
While not actually illegal (at least under federal law), it is bad practice for an employer to ask for age/date of birth on the initial application (beyond asking if you are of a minimum age for the job due to labor and other laws). If the DOB is needed for identification on a background check or for a purpose after hire (e.g. insurance, pension, taxes, etc.) then it would be an acceptable question at that point. (Same thing should apply for SS numbers by the way, but for different reasons.)

ETA: Any legal job in the U.S. requires you to complete Form I-9 (to verify you are legal to work in the country) after hire, and that form asks for your DOB, so you will always have to provide it at that time.
I have no issues with that, since that would be presented while being considered for the job. But to ask a date of birth (other than asking if you are over 18) is just very wrong when you are just filling out an application.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,105 posts, read 80,205,776 times
It’s not a big secret, when they see the graduation date, previous job dates, and see you at the interview. Most people will have a picture on LinkedIn or social media, so it seems futile to try and hide your age.

Old 11-06-2018, 06:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,409,800 times
If It's not a required field, skip it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search