Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 02:23 PM

72 posts, read 31,100 times

Advertisements

So I have a video interview (2nd interview) with a recruiter about a position she has lined up for me. The interview is on Tuesday. However Friday afternoon I get a call to do an interview with a different company. I agreed to do the interview with them. Their interview is on Friday. Both have great positions.

I heard recruiters kinda move fast with getting people jobs. Though not sure about me yet. I'm not sure when or if I'll get a job offer. So when I go to the other interview, do I tell them that I just had another interview and I'm currently waiting to hear back from company #1? I want to be honest, but not sure if I should go ahead and tell them. I want to give the recruiter time to let me know the next process.

Do I tell the recruiter that I do have another interview as well?

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-12-2018 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Merged 3 threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 04:18 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Not unless they ask you and if one of them does then I would absolutely tell them but not with any of the specifics that you mention and not in a way that they would interpret as me implying that they’d better snatch me up.

Personally I think you should calm down. I can feel your anxiety in your keystrokes.

Something like “well yes, I am on the market so of course am trying to maximize my opportunities of an offer so I am talking with others (and then turn it back to the conversation) - But let me just say that the reason I want and would be a good a good fit for this job is...

General rule - if asked always tell them you are engaged with other potential opportunities and then tell them why the opportunity you are currently talked my about is your top pick.

Best of luck

Old 11-11-2018, 08:41 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
I've interviewed a bazillion times and only 1 video interview. I read up on it as far as setting up background b what to wear, how to aim the camera, locking the dogs in another room, look at the lens not the screen.
Are you qualified? Yes? Then they'd be lucky to have you!

Old 11-16-2018, 07:43 AM

Question New Interview

I haven't heard back from the recruiter. I tried contacting her but nothing. The day after our video interview, I got a call from another company that wanted me to come in and be interviewed. Since I haven't heard back from the recruiter, should I buy time and tell the company #2 that I'm waiting on company #1 for a decision and will get back to them?

Company #2 is today at 2 pm.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:55 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,238,477 times
Go in for the interview.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:02 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
No, don’t wait for anybody during the job search. The company that interviewed you is certainly interviewing other candidates. More interviews for you simply translates to more opportunities. Don’t handicap yourself.

Thinking of this a bit differently, if the company you first interviewed with is going to be promiscuous, why should you be monogamous?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:43 AM

69 posts, read 54,032 times
Absolutely not. Go and interview for job #2. A recruiter makes money only if they get you hired. The onus is on them to stay on top of things and keep you informed and interested. If you're hearing nothing, you owe the recruiter nothing. Go to the other interview. Don't miss an opportunity just to please a recruiter who has yet to deliver.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanks, everyone. I'll tell company #2 I'm available in a sense if they want to hire me. When they called last week, I was wondering why they wanted me to wait a week to come in for the interview. Makes perfect sense to know they are currently interviewing other people and I could be the last person to be interviewed. So if they offer me the job, better jump on board.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:31 AM

Thumbs up Job search update

I have been on here asking questions regarding my job search. The last posts have been about how I went through a recruiter.

I want to THANK everyone who applied to all of my posts and giving me some wonderful insight on what to do. I can't thank you enough for everything.

Thanks to my recruiter, I now have a new job and it's 5 mins from my home. However, since I'm through a recruiter, I'm on a trial period. I work hard at every job and I pray that this job will pay off that the company will hire me permanently. I'm going to take it day by day.

Just wanted to come here and Thank everyone and that I really appreciate it.

If anyone needs help finding a job, is a college student or just graduated college and live in the VA/DC area, please message me. I will give you info to my recruiter. I worked with my recruiter for the last couple of weeks. She works fast to get people the right jobs that would be a perfect fit. So feel free to reach out to me if you are interested or know anyone. I give my recruiter a heads up.

Thank you all again.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:35 AM

780 posts, read 425,251 times
Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search