Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 12:10 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times

Advertisements

1. Objectives don't work anymore.
2. Look at real examples of resumes. I'd also for my money back if this was supposedly professional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 11:44 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Looking at the resume, do you really think dates and ages are the real reasons the OP isn't getting responses?
20 years of listed experience.

That means the OP is at least 38, or over 40, depending on how long it took to get that certificate.

So yes, with a capital Y.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:29 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Let me speak from a managers point of view. I hired hundreds, and read thousands of resumes back in my corporate days, when I was as high as Division Sales Manager for western half of the USA.

Problems with your resume, is it is a one size fits all resume, that does not tell me as a manager what you can do for me. This type resume just gets thrown in the no-way pile. It is important that you use the type of resume to fit the job, and shows the reader, you are qualified for that job.

You have only 6 seconds to sell the HM or anyone looking at your resume, that they should actually read the resume. An amateur looking resume, will not last past that 6 seconds. And you have to show the employer why you can do the job.

If you want a resume that works, you need to make to tailor your resume to fit the job you are applying for.

You need a resume that stands out, and appears better than any other submitted. One way is to go through these web sites, that will teach you about different formats and building a resume. Then it will help you prepare your resume. And the price is right to learn about resumes, FREE.

https://resume-help.org/free_resume_examples.htm

https://zety.com/blog/free-resume-templates

https://www.hloom.com/resumes/

https://www.freesumes.com/

https://resumecompanion.com/

And always include a professional looking cover lever.

https://www.cover-letter-now.com/tem...uides/employee

This last link, also has a lot of different things about looking for a job, etc., that you may want to check out. They can help you look for and get hired on jobs.

https://www.best-job-interview.com/s...er-letter.html

Remember, if you are not getting interviews when looking for a job, one of 2 things are wrong.

1: You are applying for a job, you are not qualified for. Or at least your cover letter and resume say you are not. Problems with one size fits all resumes.

2: You are not designing a cover letter and resume specifically for the job you are applying for, and you failed the 6 second test.

Old 12-23-2018, 11:15 PM

Remember, 6 second scans mean that the employer is using knee jerk judgments and stereotypes to judge the candidate.

Zero facts are involved.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:56 AM

538 posts, read 385,839 times
All of the jobs I’m applying for are the same is what is stated in my resume. How can I taylor a resume to a specific job when the descriptions are generic?

Old 12-26-2018, 06:56 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
All of the jobs I’m applying for are the same is what is stated in my resume. How can I taylor a resume to a specific job when the descriptions are generic?
The companies and the clients/customers they serve are probably not generic. Do research on the business and type of clientele to find out more what motivates them and what values they seem to want their employees to show.

Old 12-27-2018, 05:15 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
20 years of listed experience.

That means the OP is at least 38, or over 40, depending on how long it took to get that certificate.

So yes, with a capital Y.
Twenty years of random, barely related jobs does not count as continuous experience.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:38 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
It's all fluff and no substance. Back it up with specific things you do/know, specific numbers etc...

Old 03-25-2019, 01:59 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Unless you are applying for a job in a call center,the one reading your resume will never get past the line where you say your work experience was in a high volume call center. For any other type job, the first screen will reject it, and those further up the line will never see it.

Especially due to your job limiting education background.

The rest just states duties of working in a call center, and other type jobs are looking for other things than call center experience, or looking for someone with a degree.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Twenty years of random, barely related jobs does not count as continuous experience.
But it does show the employer that the candidate is older and subject to age discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search