Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 04:36 AM

669 posts, read 581,195 times

Advertisements

Been perusing the job boards for employment. Considered applying for some State jobs but their process to apply absolutely is ridiculously tedious! No “email” option ! I assume that due to the tedious process to apply for jobs is not yielding applicants...like me.

So far, I have not been able to attend any of the seminars....I hope to attend on3 soon if my schedule works out to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2018, 06:55 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
I work for the state, and we do not accept email applications either. All applications must go through our HRMS portal.

Although the number of applicants we get has gone down in recent years as the unemployment rate has dropped, we don’t lack for quality applicants in most fields. We do have some difficulty in the really high demand areas, such as some IT positions, certain trades, and the more esoteric academic subjects. We have never been unable to fill, but occasionally we have had to keep a position open for longer than anticipated.

I don’t know what a seminar on applying might do for people. If you follow the instructions on our portal, it is pretty easy. If applicants choose not to provide the information requested they are eliminated, but that shouldn’t be a surprise. We don’t ask for any really awful stuff as part of the application.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:55 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I work for the state, and we do not accept email applications either. All applications must go through our HRMS portal.

Until maybe 4-5 years ago the state I used to live in didn't even accept that. They only accepted hard copy applications and a specific form had to be filled out.

Yeah, its challenging for a reason.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:54 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, its challenging for a reason.
Easy way to weed out those who are not very motivated, not very determined, or unable to tolerate non-negotiables isn't it? They don't even need to interview them!

Old 12-13-2018, 07:36 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,222,501 times
Which state is this?

I wouldn't apply for states like Illinois who are going bankrupt.

Old 12-14-2018, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Which state is this?

I wouldn't apply for states like Illinois who are going bankrupt.

Bingo! Lol!

Old 12-14-2018, 08:17 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,744,445 times
I think someone should apply for a govt job if they are already employed because the hiring process of for a state job is extremely long.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:06 AM

1 posts, read 475 times
Online jobs in education in NY got tons but DepED do not have reciprocity in other state/country. Substitute nor Assistant Teaching salaries are not enough to pay rent, car and other expenses. To a person new in this country, a professional with more than enough experiences in teaching and in the late 50s not going back to basics and examinations is impossible to get permanent/decent teaching job. This is the land of opportunity/ies, no discrimination whatsoever especially to a non-illegal alien with qualifications at hand, still made teaching job elusive. The system will not fill the gap of teachers shortages in the public and private schools unless they look deeper into this reality, aside from having complicated online DepED customized web browsed by a new comer in this state.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:22 AM

UPDATE: I DID attend a workshop on how to understand the process for applying for a State job...it was a 3 hour seminar that was definitely worthwhile ! I left the workshop empowered to revamp my resume with more detail of my capabilities and experiences. Hey, why not throw my name in the hat and see what transpires....I need to work 5-6 more years so every application counts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search