Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 AM

2,954 posts, read 1,410,761 times

Advertisements

You don't need to have trade skills for Home Depot. The paint person I deal with just looks up the mixture on the computer, creates the paint and after it shakes around or whatever, hands me the can. The appliance people and other sections, ask if you need help and look things up on the computer. They're not the people who will actually install or fix anything. Cashiers are definitely not trades people nor are the nursery department. I'm at Home Depot frequently, so I know you don't have to be a trades person to work there.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 PM

374 posts, read 759,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
You don't need to have trade skills for Home Depot. The paint person I deal with just looks up the mixture on the computer, creates the paint and after it shakes around or whatever, hands me the can. The appliance people and other sections, ask if you need help and look things up on the computer. They're not the people who will actually install or fix anything. Cashiers are definitely not trades people nor are the nursery department. I'm at Home Depot frequently, so I know you don't have to be a trades person to work there.
That's what I thought too, especially for the cashiers. We painted our condo last year and bought a lot of paint at Home Depot. It looked like everything was computerized and it didn't require any special skill for the employees to mix up the paint that we asked for.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:33 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
It sounds to me like you've just been shocked by the realities of job hunting these days. That's all.

Unless you really know someone who can get you in -- really get you in -- job hunting is like throwing spaghetti on the wall. Apply and move on. If they call you, they call you. If they don't they don't. Of course, you can also try to follow up. Sometimes you have to be persistent. And even then, at 56 expect to be interviewed by someone half your age, who may or may not know their arse from a hole in the ground. BUT, they're the person with the job, the gatekeeper to what you want. So you suck up what you have to.

Did you expect to get hired on your first (one, 2, or 3) interviews?
There are people who've been looking for work for YEARS.

Just keep applying and broaden your scope of where you apply. Job hunting can be a soul-sucking experience. But IF you're persistent it might pay off.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:03 PM

480 posts, read 316,263 times
As mentioned above, sub teaching is always in demand. Working with kids is hard, and they are variable in behavior. It's tough when you have such limited tools to discipline with. But the school staff are really happy to have subs.

Old 02-13-2019, 10:54 AM

I pray for anyone who substitute teaches. There's no way in hell I'd do it, unless the alternative was literally starving.
Then again I live in a major city with all kinds of school district issues. SOME of the suburban schools are no better.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I pray for anyone who substitute teaches. There's no way in hell I'd do it, unless the alternative was literally starving.
Then again I live in a major city with all kinds of school district issues. SOME of the suburban schools are no better.
Being a school bus driver is something I'd never want to do either. The drivers had no control over the students, especially the ones who would throw paint out of the windows onto cars.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:46 AM

374 posts, read 759,041 times
Just to update, I did get a call back and will be starting a seasonal position in the garden department. Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Old 02-13-2019, 04:14 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I substitute teach, but don't pray for me because I like doing it. Most of my sub friends like it also. I just got home 45 minutes ago. Another good day at school.

Old 02-18-2019, 03:15 PM

615 posts, read 665,623 times
I think you might be reading too much into the "bad attitude" guy. He picked out a good bit of experience you had and gave you a chance to sell yourself. How do you know he wasn't looking for a manager? Next time talk about your experience. Maybe you would be a better fit in a supervisory role rather than at a check stand. I don't think he was labeling you as old. Don't be silly. I've seen people pushing 70 in there. Wallyword too. They (Home Depot & wallyworld) don't discriminate against age.

Old 02-19-2019, 02:00 AM

The OP got the job. So part of the issue was s/he jumped the gun on what s/he thought about the situation in the first place.

Some people who've been out of the workplace expect that every time they interview, they'll get hired, or hear back in one day and start in a week. They don't hear something back for a few days, and get all upset and concerned...."they didn't hired me," "I haven't heard anything." etc. Well turns out the OP was hired. S/he just had no understanding of how long it might take to hear back. And in this case the person heard back in less than a week anyway.

The OP posted on 2/9...that s/he'd interviewed the day before on 2/8. Posted about how they weren't hired, etc. But on 2/13 posted they'd gotten the job. If they'd just waited, instead of jumping to conclusions, they wouldn't have started this whole discussion in the first place.

They interviewed and were hired in less than a week. What do some people want? MOST people are not hired that quickly.
But IF you've been out of the workforce. It's understandable that you'd have no "reference point" for how interviewing and hired in handled these days.

Last edited by selhars; 02-19-2019 at 02:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search