Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:14 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Thanks for all the good advice. I was going to include these sentences in my thank you email: "I am not sure my interest and enthusiasm for the job came across in our interview. I was feeling under the weather and don't believe I adequately expressed my aptitude and passion for the position. If these things did not come across during the interview I want to assure you that my initiative, high level of motivation, and positive attitude make me a prime candidate for this position."

Thoughts?
No, don't say that! Because you alerting them to something negative which might not even be their impression. This is a job interview, not a time to confess your perceived sins. Focus their attention in your note on positive things about you and level of interest in the job and company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 04:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the good advice. I was going to include these sentences in my thank you email: "I am not sure my interest and enthusiasm for the job came across in our interview. I was feeling under the weather and don't believe I adequately expressed my aptitude and passion for the position. If these things did not come across during the interview I want to assure you that my initiative, high level of motivation, and positive attitude make me a prime candidate for this position."

Thoughts?
I like the idea, but I think there's a way to address the critical reactions you've received above.

Instead of starting the paragraph with "I am not sure my..." start it with "I want to make sure that my..."

I'm not crazy about the ending of the paragraph "...make me a prime candidate for this position." It's presumptuous to dictate to a hiring manager who is a prime candidate. You are who you are, so focus on defining who you are. I'd replace the end of that last sentence with "...are qualities that I would bring to _______ (name of employer)."

Old 02-25-2019, 08:40 AM

345 posts, read 252,392 times
All great pieces of advice, thank you! I did not mention anything in my thank you note about being under the weather--after further thought it sounded like I was making excuses. I also left out 'prime candidate for the position'. Hopefully I wasn't as bad as I thought I was.

Old 03-04-2019, 04:24 AM

669 posts, read 582,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
Send the "thank you" notes for their time and express in the note your interest in the job and company. That's it.

I will tell you why. You are always going to be your own worst critic. Because only you knows what you were expecting to do. Only you know what you were really bothered by. So I wouldn't call attention to your concerns, because they may very well only be a concern to you, not to them.

Primarily during your interview the panel is wondering how you will fit in with the department and group, and if you would be a good co-worker to work with.
Agree...especially with the first sentence. I flubbed an interview with a CEO after having had a successful interview with the hiring manager...who contacted me to talk about a DIFFERENTposition that better utilized my experience. I knew I screwed up...I should have been more prepared so I accept responsibility. I sent ..mailed a nice Thank You letter which expressed my interest in the position and admitting that I had a lot to to learn about the job.

I did not expect a second chance....I moved on....the job has been posted since last fall with much higher applicant expectation. No, I dont have a Masters or a PHD. OR five years experience....obviously no one has come foward to fill that position either....

Old 03-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLgaltoo View Post
Agree...especially with the first sentence. I flubbed an interview with a CEO after having had a successful interview with the hiring manager...who contacted me to talk about a DIFFERENTposition that better utilized my experience. I knew I screwed up...I should have been more prepared so I accept responsibility. I sent ..mailed a nice Thank You letter which expressed my interest in the position and admitting that I had a lot to to learn about the job.

I did not expect a second chance....I moved on....the job has been posted since last fall with much higher applicant expectation. No, I dont have a Masters or a PHD. OR five years experience....obviously no one has come foward to fill that position either....
The company recruiter called me Friday and said the feedback from the team was very positive, but they are going with an internal candidate who has been with the company 20 years and has been groomed for a management position. I wish I would have known that little fact. I wouldn't have wasted 3 1/2 vacation days and traveled through a snowstorm. Life moves on.

Last edited by milesfive; 03-04-2019 at 12:21 PM..

Old 03-04-2019, 07:52 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
The company recruiter called me Friday and said the feedback from the team was very positive, but they are going with an internal candidate who has been with the company 20 years and has been groomed for a management position. I wish I would have known that little fact. I wouldn't have wasted 3 1/2 vacation days and traveled through a snowstorm. Life moves on.
It wouldn't have made anything better to have known OP. They were looking for someone "better" than the groomed choice. Could always be that not everyone was "sold" on them. They just didn't happen to find it.

Old 03-04-2019, 08:28 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I get what you’re saying. I had a presentation once and knew it was horrible. IMO trust your gut how it went.

I have a coworker who was interviewing with my current company, she knew she blew the first interview and said “I don’t think we really made a connection, could we set up another time to talk?”

That landed her the job.

If you know you didn’t do well, see if you can write something that doesn’t something nd like begging or making excuses.

Old 03-05-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
I get what you’re saying. I had a presentation once and knew it was horrible. IMO trust your gut how it went.

I have a coworker who was interviewing with my current company, she knew she blew the first interview and said “I don’t think we really made a connection, could we set up another time to talk?”

That landed her the job.

If you know you didn’t do well, see if you can write something that doesn’t something nd like begging or making excuses.
The interview team gave me an A+. The company recruiter was probably being nice. They have already offered the job to the internal candidate, but they did say if I saw other positions with the company to let them know because they think I would be a great asset to the company. I thanked them.

I am taking a break for awhile. So far this year I've taken 4 1/2 vacation days for job interviews and none of them resulted in an offer. I've sat in parking lots waiting for calls from recruiters only to have them blow me off. I will turn 59 on Sunday. Maybe I should stay underemployed and ride this job out until I retire. This whole process is humiliating and exhausting.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:08 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
The interview team gave me an A+. The company recruiter was probably being nice. They have already offered the job to the internal candidate, but they did say if I saw other positions with the company to let them know because they think I would be a great asset to the company. I thanked them.

I am taking a break for awhile. So far this year I've taken 4 1/2 vacation days for job interviews and none of them resulted in an offer. I've sat in parking lots waiting for calls from recruiters only to have them blow me off. I will turn 59 on Sunday. Maybe I should stay underemployed and ride this job out until I retire. This whole process is humiliating and exhausting.
Sorry OP. I feel you. I am taking a break too good luck to you!

Old 03-05-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Sorry OP. I feel you. I am taking a break too good luck to you!
Good luck to you as well! And thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search