Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 11:20 AM

3,144 posts, read 1,600,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
I had a stressful job which made me physically and mentally ill. I told my manager and employer and they ignored the situation and did nothing to resolve it. I was sacked as I had exhausted the sick leave. It was an unusual situation as I was always fit and healthy and had never had time off sick in previous jobs. I am applying for jobs now and found some job adverts request a reference from your previous employer. I believe that this would not help my application as they would not provide a reference or if they did they would make me look bad. I want to make a fresh start. The employer never even gave me my P45 which you receive to say you no longer work for the company which I chased up many times - this is the kind of employer they are ignoring things. What would be the best reason to refuse my previous employer as a reference if a new employer asks?
Definitely put down as specifically requested. From a basic standpoint, the hiring employer wants to verify that you actually had the job and the dates employed. Don't put HR or an alternate person if specifically asked for former supervisor. Most likely previous supervisor will ignore request or refer to HR. Very few employers want to prevent a former employee from getting employment ; in fact, it's often in their best interest that the former employee becomes employed. Of course you can also offer names of others at the company who can provide additional references about the qualify of your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2019, 11:32 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Game the system

https://www.careerexcuse.com/

Old 04-22-2019, 11:58 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
+1. Do you actually believe the product/service testimonials you hear on the radio and TV? No need to list a disgruntled ex-employer.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:13 PM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Careerexcuses might work in the US where the hiring/firing is handled differently, but OP is in UK and they don't engage in games.

Also, if you know OP and her posting history, you probably have an idea that she isn't the model worker employers are dreaming about.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:43 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Just use a friend to pretend they were your supervisor.

Old 04-25-2019, 01:07 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Just use a friend to pretend they were your supervisor.
Deception and dishonesty are such great tools for convincing a potential employer that you are their dream employee.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-25-2019 at 01:20 AM..

Old 04-25-2019, 06:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Deception and dishonesty are such great tools for convincing a potential employer that you are their dream employee.
I know strict honesty is though.

Why are you seeking new employment?
I want more money and my boss is an @hole

What is your greatest weakness?
I don't respect authority, am always tardy, disorganized...

Old 04-30-2019, 10:39 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well the point is for the employer not to know you are being dishonest. That would kind of ruin the point. Being honest can be a bad way to convince an employer to hire you also. Hence the purpose of this question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search