Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 03:36 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,131,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easydoesit42 View Post
They want to know why I withdrew my application. I’m not going to tell them this was the reason, though someone probably should make them aware that this will turn candidates off.
Why don't you want to tell them? I've never heard of this, BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 08:22 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,225,655 times
No way I would NOT tell them just how asinine such a demand is. I had to endure such questioning when I worked in a defense plant and had access to extremely sensitive information, but for the job you applied for? What are they thinking?

Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,342,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
It's crazy but if you need and/or want the job you should play by their rules.
No. If they told you to steal a car would you steal a car to get the job. No.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:34 PM

Quote:
They want to know why I withdrew my application. I’m not going to tell them this was the reason, though someone probably should make them aware that this will turn candidates off.
They aren't going to ask you. You aren't interested in joining a cult, you just want a job. If you put up with this invasion of privacy, they know they "got you" because you will put up with anything on the job. Withdraw application and post your review experiences about this on Glassdoor to warn others.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have never experienced this, nor used it in hiring people. When they do, it's to determine whether or not you possess qualities that are difficult to tech and develop, such as extroversion, self-motivation, agreeableness, emotional stability, and interpersonal skills. If those are extremely important to the employer, I can see them using a psychologist. On the other hand, it may just be one more tool used to reduce the numbers of applicants. People like you drop out and they have fewer interviews to do. Employers want to hire people that want to work there, and obviously you didn't want their job that badly or would do what they asked.
How badly do you want a job, will you stand on a street corner and sell illegal drugs? No, because it is wrong. Such corporate double-speak to explain this objectionable behavior and an invasion of privacy. You have to call it for what it is, just bad management and they should be avoided.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I’ve been through two rounds of interviews for a data Analyst type time role and they said the next step is to sit down with a psychologist to ask me all types of work and personal questions. I already did an online assessment too. I understand having to do this for law enforcement, pilots, medical roles etc, but a corporate analyst position? They said they would ask me about my childhood, parents etc. Perhaps I’m out of line, but that seems like a major invasion of my privacy. I’ve worked for several major corporations and have never heard of having to do this. Have you done this for a job that would pay $60-70K at a corporation? I’m withdrawing my application today.
Good for you, and post a negative review for them on Glassdoor to warn others is all we can do. Sorry you had this bad experience.

Old 04-03-2019, 07:34 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,420,698 times
I'd decline and let them know exactly why I'm declining. It's ridiculous.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:20 AM

29 posts, read 35,983 times
Just found a review of them on Glassdoor that says the psychologist asks “about your parents, past, friends, etc”.

It amazes me that the people that do work there were willing to share all details of their personal lives. Why in the world does a corporate employer need to know about your parents? Can you imagine how personal such questions could get for some people? Again, if your trying to get a job as a cop or with the FBI, I understand. But this is ridiculous.

BTW, I just told them I decided I didn’t want to leave my current role.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:21 PM

4,859 posts, read 2,638,228 times
Quote:
Just found a review of them on Glassdoor that says the psychologist asks “about your parents, past, friends, etc”.

It amazes me that the people that do work there were willing to share all details of their personal lives. Why in the world does a corporate employer need to know about your parents? Can you imagine how personal such questions could get for some people? Again, if your trying to get a job as a cop or with the FBI, I understand. But this is ridiculous.

BTW, I just told them I decided I didn’t want to leave my current role.
I think that you did the right thing. Good for you.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:16 AM

31 posts, read 23,823 times
The number of people who encouraged the OP to go through with the psychological exam is quite shocking to me. This is extremely inappropriate and demeaning for the role this person applied for. I sincerely hope that those of you who are seemingly okay with an applicant being put through this type of application process for a data analyst role are not working in hiring positions in your company.

OP, you did a good thing by withdrawing your application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search