Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2019, 03:51 PM

6 posts, read 3,831 times

Advertisements

I'm in a weird situation. I have two part time jobs. One is for a very small business, with just a couple of other employees. The other is for my husband, and he is the only other employee. I have had these two jobs for almost 8 years.

I'm planning on divorce, and moving to a new state. Obviously, a new job is a necessity, and obviously, my husband cannot be one of my references. I have a great reference from my other job, and I think I could probably get another good one as well. That gives me two (so not none, I guess, but not what "they" suggest). I have not been in school for a number of years, live in a very rural area, and cannot think of anyone else to use as a professional reference. If I had a choice, I would prefer to get a new job more along the lines of what I do for my husband, rather than my other job (although that one involves a more unique skill).

Any ideas on what to do? This whole situation is extremely stressful and, honestly, scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,585 times
first, typically you don't need to list references until after interviews- and even then, most employers ask for names and don't actually call anyone (unless you're talking about government or gov contractor jobs). Second, can you say you were self employed for the work with your husband? Perhaps a client could work?
best of luck

Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 PM

5,898 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jribe View Post
Most employers ask for names and don't actually call anyone (unless you're talking about government or gov contractor jobs).
That is weird. All of my employers have always called my references.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:46 AM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,392 times
Usually you can also list a personal reference, so you could use a friend who would say good things about your character, work ethic, etc... for that one.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:42 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,372,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknMetal View Post
I'm in a weird situation. I have two part time jobs. One is for a very small business, with just a couple of other employees. The other is for my husband, and he is the only other employee. I have had these two jobs for almost 8 years.

I'm planning on divorce, and moving to a new state. Obviously, a new job is a necessity, and obviously, my husband cannot be one of my references. I have a great reference from my other job, and I think I could probably get another good one as well. That gives me two (so not none, I guess, but not what "they" suggest). I have not been in school for a number of years, live in a very rural area, and cannot think of anyone else to use as a professional reference. If I had a choice, I would prefer to get a new job more along the lines of what I do for my husband, rather than my other job (although that one involves a more unique skill).

Any ideas on what to do? This whole situation is extremely stressful and, honestly, scary.
Relax. This is simple. Make a list of all your neighbors and friends. Then for each one of them, list what they do for a living and where they work. Then review the list and those with the titles of "manager" or owner, ask them if they would be a reference for you.

Remember, a reference doesn't have to be someone you worked with. It can be someone who knows you professionally and is aware of your skills and work ethic. And they need to be a good reference, meaning they will be available to take a phone call and/or answer e-mail when asked without delay. That's important.

Old 09-01-2019, 06:21 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
That is weird. All of my employers have always called my references.

I think it just depends on the place. I've held a ton of jobs but I think maybe one of them actually called my references. Usually an interview is enough to tell if a person will be good or not.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:34 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,233,645 times
Are there vendors or clients you can use? I recently left a job where I was employee #2 and I don't want to use my employer as a character reference. I'm using a vendor that I worked with frequently--when she heard I was leaving she said "What are they going to do? You were always on top of everything!" and I asked if I could quote her on that, and she agreed.

If not, maybe a church leader or fellow volunteer? It doesn't have to be someone who managed you, peers can be references too. Just someone who knows about your reliability, reasoning skills, etc.

Old 09-09-2019, 01:09 AM

856 posts, read 1,052,063 times
Exclamation Too Few References

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarianRavenwood View Post
Are there vendors or clients you can use?

Outstanding.

pf

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search