Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 03:03 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,717,734 times

Advertisements

I am all set to start a job on 6/24 and been applying to state positions during the month of April and May and get a email today from HR rep for the state saying

"Yes! You did receive a rejection notice for this posting a few weeks ago. New vacancies have occurred since then, and candidates in your score range are now being considered for hire. Human Resources has pre-arranged the date and time of your interview and when to report to this office. Please confirm with us by 3:00 PM on Thursday, June 20, 2019 , of your acceptance of the interview as listed below. Unfortunately, this is NOT a flexible schedule."

The interview is scheduled for..6/24
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2019, 03:39 PM

669 posts, read 575,417 times
just GO!!!!

Old 06-12-2019, 10:24 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,196,062 times
What state?

If this is a bankrupt state like Illinois or PR, run away.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
what state?

If this is a bankrupt state like illinois or pr, run away.
pa

Old 06-13-2019, 06:11 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,933,362 times
happens all the time- government jobs are notoriously slow (and heck even the contracting companies). If you're still interested, suggest finding a different time/date you can make work. It'll be months before you'd get hired anyway (most likely).

Old 06-13-2019, 07:59 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,032,461 times
OP, I'm sure you already know your considerations and options.....
The first thing I would have thought was 'son of a bihtch' ..... the job hunt just can't be aggravation-free, can it?

So..... which job would you want more? Is this state job one for which you would leave the new job?

If it is, I suppose the first option is to tell the new employer you need to leave early (or can only do a half day, or need to come in early so you can leave early) on the first day, which is usually mostly onboarding and acclimation stuff anyway? Hey, things come up. What can I say. Just make it good.

I had a case where I, also, was told an interview date/time was "usually" not rescheduleable. So, I did write back to the hiring office that I was an essential employee on duty at their suggested time, but would be available at ...... and gave them several options. Lo and behold they rescheduled.

Those really are the only two options I can see.

============

As an aside, I feel your pain. What is it with companies saying THIS IS or HERE IS the interview time, take it or leave it. WTF? No...we need to agree on a time when I can be available. I may take the job. But that already leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Because it shows they don't care about people. Which I know most don't, but still....

Old 06-13-2019, 11:58 AM

10,597 posts, read 12,032,461 times
OP, is the job you are starting on the 24th federal, or state? Private sector?

Try to go to the interview. Just say you've had an unexpected situation come come up. I apologize, but it is a matter that I do need to attend to.

You don't want them to think this is a habit or you're a dud of a hire....on your first day. But the situation was unexpected....and you'll need to leave early (or do a half day, or however you want to word it.) Like I said maybe even come in early, and leave early, and lose no time.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
OP, is the job you are starting on the 24th federal, or state? Private sector?

Try to go to the interview. Just say you've had an unexpected situation come come up. I apologize, but it is a matter that I do need to attend to.

You don't want them to think this is a habit or you're a dud of a hire....on your first day. But the situation was unexpected....and you'll need to leave early (or do a half day, or however you want to word it.) Like I said maybe even come in early, and leave early, and lose no time.
The job I am starting on 6/24 is non profit and has now been changed to 6/25. I met with the HR rep for the new job this evening to complete the new hire paperwork and informed her I have a dr. appt on the 24th which was the only availability. So I will be going to the interview for the state job on 6/24 and starting the new job on 6/25.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,844,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
The job I am starting on 6/24 is non profit and has now been changed to 6/25. I met with the HR rep for the new job this evening to complete the new hire paperwork and informed her I have a dr. appt on the 24th which was the only availability. So I will be going to the interview for the state job on 6/24 and starting the new job on 6/25.
Good luck. Hopefully the next interview will be after probation ends or 3 months later.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Good luck. Hopefully the next interview will be after probation ends or 3 months later.
Thanks, I never been in this situation before

1. Interview on a Monday for a govt job

2. Scheduled to start a new job on Tuesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search