Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 11:14 AM

72 posts, read 31,074 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have an interview today. This goes with any jobs I'm applying for. Right now, I work for retail. I now work on weekends. The jobs I have applied for are office positions (Monday-Friday). I want to know what is the best way to tell these employers when I can start working? Do I tell them, I can start whenever they want me too because I'll be working in retail on the weekends until I give them my two weeks notice? Or should I just say Two weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 12:06 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
If asked, explain your situation and let them know that you can start whenever they want you to, whether that is immediately, or in two weeks. You are in an uncommon situation in which your current job might not have any impact on the employer's timeline. When we hire people they are typically working days that will conflict with their new job, so we expect them to give the employer they are leaving a two weeks notice.

Old 06-20-2019, 02:30 PM

Thanks. I told them I'm willing to work for them whenever, but I do work for my current job on weekends and do plan to give them two weeks notice. I want to still respect my current job and give them notice.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:37 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times
1) Given that you're only working weekends...and your new job is M-F, just tell them you can start when they'd like.
I take it you'll be leaving the weekend gig, for the M-F gig. Technically, you could do both. You don't HAVE to actually leave one for the other. Given that, see my above comment.

Most managers know you'll have to give notice to your current employer -- BUT in your case the days don't overlap. Does the hiring person/manager at the new job know you're only working part time? If so, will s/he wonder why you can't start sooner than two weeks?...given that weekends, doesn't conflict with M-F.

2) Do YOU want to start the new gig as soon as possible, when they might want you to start. OR do YOU want to give them a date when you can start -- a two week delay for whatever reason.....
a) Maybe you want to wrap up some things that were scheduled before you start working full time and may have less time or leeway to tend to personal business
b) Maybe you want to get a doc appointment or a car repair, quick trip, or whatever else out of the way before you start a new job where time off will be more limited.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:38 AM

Thanks, Selhars. I will keep your ideas in mind. They do second rounds of interviews. Around 2-4 people this time with the head boss of the company. They will let me know if I made it to the second round. She lady said they hope to do the second round some time next week.

My current job is almost 2 hours away. This job would be 20 mins. I didn't tell them that I was looking for a job closer. I always wanted to work in a Law Firm. I know some people in Law Firms. Plus I had been thinking of becoming a Paralegal for some time. Just want to start from the bottom if I do get to work in a Law firm.

I have NEVER quit a job. This would be the first time IF I do. I still want to give my current job two weeks notice so I can end on a high note with the company. Talking to some people gave me another thing to think about. Even though I'm working only on weekends, the company could call me or talk to me at work, asking me if I could work during the week. I know we now have a lack of employees in recovery due to people getting fired or quitting. So they probably won't like it if I tell them I can't. So this is another reason to think about if I wanted to try and keep this job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search