Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 02:37 PM

15 posts, read 7,981 times

Advertisements

So I'm turning 26 in September and was also planning on attending Baruch's MSA program which is a fairly good one from what I've heard. How stable do you feel your career is? Do you feel that your employers value you or that you're just a dispensable cog that can easily be replaced like changing a beat up old tire? I'm a bit behind and have been working part time till now as a tutor but I wanna get into a professional setting before I turn too old and I did fairly well on the GRE so I'm eyeing a few grad programs that could help me "reset" my random undergrad major. Some people say accounting is going to become obsolete (which I find highly unlikely, even as a non-business person) while others say the work is hard but secure, and the time you put in pays off as you get promoted. Idk, just curious to see what you all think. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 08:02 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Public accounting is teh suck. They work you to death at the Big4. With zero job security.

On the other hand, the Feds need more auditors and they offer decent pay with great benefits. With good job security.

So, where do you want to work?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:24 PM

Interesting that you mention that and yeah I heard that from a lot of accounting folks too. Big4 sucks but looks good on a resume. I'm still fairly young, though I'll be a bit later in the game, I expect to be 28 or so after finishing up Baruch's MSA, so I'm open to busting my ass there for 3 or 4 years. And even more interesting that you brought up the government, since my dream career is basically forensic accounting or some form of investigative accounting. Getting to go after crooks is somewhat a childish dream and is probably nowhere near as glamorous as I imagine it to be, but beats working for some multi-billion dollar corporation that doesn't value you so much.

Old 06-27-2019, 07:11 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraltofsnivia View Post
since my dream career is basically forensic accounting or some form of investigative accounting. Getting to go after crooks is somewhat a childish dream and is probably nowhere near as glamorous as I imagine it to be, but beats working for some multi-billion dollar corporation that doesn't value you so much.
How about contract auditing? Imagine finding questioned costs and saving taxpayers lots of money?

Old 06-28-2019, 11:53 AM

That doesn't sound so bad. And honestly I barely know anything about accounting but I can see myself working for nonprofits, the government, etc., rather than corporations if I could help. Not about to enslave myself to some fat cats more than necessary to make my resume pop.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:50 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
My accountant is in business for himself after working Big 4. If you like taxes (for whatever reason) there will always be CPA jobs to help advise SMBs and successful individuals for whom Turbo Tax doesn't cut it.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I'm at a public agency and work with accountants daily. Currently we have two openings, pay starting at about $85k with great benefits. On person has accepted a promotion into the finance department, but the other just retired, after 32 years. She will get a pretty good pension. It may not pay as much as the Big4, but cities, counties, utility districts, ports, and airports all need accountants and are more secure, especially those that do not rely entirely on tax revenue, such as the last 3 that I mentioned.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:44 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,441 times
Depends on where you live. I live in Denver and crap it is competitive. I need to get off my arse and take the cpa exam
Here most employers treat you like crap because they know they can replace you in 5 minutes

Old 07-03-2019, 01:33 AM

Damn that's brutal. I live in NYC which probably has great opportunity for business/accounting folks but probably comes with a similarly abundant level of cutthroat competition. I'm not in the habit of wading through ass kissers with smiles from cheek to cheek, but then again that seems like something you'd have to deal with in finance.

Last edited by geraltofsnivia; 07-03-2019 at 01:43 AM..

Old 10-25-2019, 03:46 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Depending on what a person earns working for that Big 4 company, I think they should prepare for a big pay cut if working for a government entity.

Personally, when starting out, I'd be all about the money....to build a nest egg. So, for as long as I enjoyed the job, I'd earn as much as I could. THEN, later, IF there's a job change (voluntary or forced), I could afford to take that hit in salary. (I'd never advise working a job you absolutely. hate to the point of feeling like you're losing your soul everyday....but then again....millions of people do it......just for the money.)

Depending on where you live, you'd be surprised how little government work pays. Some salaries are so low I don't see how people live off those amounts...after all allotments are taken out.

So, I'd make as much as I could -- get as close to six-figures or into the six figures -- as soon as I could. And make that money for as long as I could. (Saving/investing as much as I could. Still not too many extravagances.)

There's nothing wrong with making big money say, from 25-55. And then, if you want a change to do something else -- of if G-d forbid you're laid off -- maybe even WITH a severance....you'll be able to either retire young -- and not have to even worry about working anymore....or....earn less money, IF you have to. Get into the government then, IF you still even want to -- and work fewer years there, but long enough for a smaller pension and the retirement benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search