Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2019, 01:20 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times

Advertisements

Had a fantastic interview on Tuesday, and feel good about my chances. In leaving the appointment the COO asked if I was headed back home (it was out of town) and I mentioned I had another interview later that afternoon. He said "if you receive an offer, please let me know before you accept" - he's on vacation next week.

Well the other interview was a disaster - HR rep had no idea what position I was interviewing for, fumbled through questions asking questions on another position. I asked if the Department head would be coming in and she had no idea who it was!!! Total waste of my time.

Now - should I reach out to the COO from the first interview and tell him what happened or skirt the issue and reiterate my skills and interest in the position?

suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2019, 01:36 PM

74 posts, read 55,281 times
I wouldn't mention the other interview unless the COO specifically asks about it.

And if they do ask, I'd say something like "well, you know, an interview goes both ways; the candidate is evaluating the employer just as the employer is evaluating the candidate. And I concluded from the other interview I had that I was not interested in that position." I'd then go on to talk specifically about things that stood out for you at the good interview, what appeals to you about the position and the company, and just keep the focus on positive things about the job you do want.

Good luck, hope you land the job you want.

Old 07-04-2019, 07:40 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r03ix9A View Post
I wouldn't mention the other interview unless the COO specifically asks about it.

And if they do ask, I'd say something like "well, you know, an interview goes both ways; the candidate is evaluating the employer just as the employer is evaluating the candidate. And I concluded from the other interview I had that I was not interested in that position." I'd then go on to talk specifically about things that stood out for you at the good interview, what appeals to you about the position and the company, and just keep the focus on positive things about the job you do want.

Good luck, hope you land the job you want.
Agree. You didn't get that "other offer" so it's a non-issue.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:43 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
1) I'd never mention the other interview again. You didn't get an offer so why bring it up? (And the COO might not even remember you said anything about it.)

2) IF you are asked about it r03ix9A gave good advice. BUT, keep in mind IF you let the COO know you're not interested in the other position (which I don't know that I would do) -- you could weaken your position with the COO of the job tat remains a possibility. Now he knows he has no competition for you. That's doesn't mean you have NO other opportunities, but he'd know that's one for sure who won't grab you up. Could he low ball you regarding salary, now? Maybe? That could be a minus.

The plus, of course, it's a chance to reiterate your interest in his position. And he now knows you're more likely to take any offer he makes.....at whatever salary level he offers.

Why'd you mention the other interview to the COO at all? So that he'd know he's not the only fish in the sea? Well if you tell him you're not interested in that other gig. There's goes that play you were trying to make.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:58 AM

607 posts, read 978,525 times
I love it when they ask about other interviews. I have mastered a skill to close faster to get that offer by leveraging the other interview even if it sucked or had no interest afterwards.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveurdream View Post
I love it when they ask about other interviews. I have mastered a skill to close faster to get that offer by leveraging the other interview even if it sucked or had no interest afterwards.

he didn't ask - I spoke the truth. It was not meant to play him - it was a fact. Actually, I thought the second interview would be the "one" as I have experience with a sister company of theirs. That fact went right over the HR person's head.... she is a disaster and poor first impression of the company.

In my thank you email, I addressed my desire, experience and skills as the company I just left is in the same industry - mentioning several things we discussed and one or two we didn't.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Had a fantastic interview on Tuesday, and feel good about my chances. In leaving the appointment the COO asked if I was headed back home (it was out of town) and I mentioned I had another interview later that afternoon. He said "if you receive an offer, please let me know before you accept" - he's on vacation next week.

Well the other interview was a disaster - HR rep had no idea what position I was interviewing for, fumbled through questions asking questions on another position. I asked if the Department head would be coming in and she had no idea who it was!!! Total waste of my time.

Now - should I reach out to the COO from the first interview and tell him what happened or skirt the issue and reiterate my skills and interest in the position?

suggestions?
I would exercise discretion. You haven't gotten an offer, so there is no reason to contact the COO. The other job/company looking like hot garbage isn't the COO's business. In all likelihood no one would expect you to get an offer before at least 1 or 2 business days had passed after the on site interview.

You have some time. Sit back and reflect.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I would exercise discretion. You haven't gotten an offer, so there is no reason to contact the COO. The other job/company looking like hot garbage isn't the COO's business. In all likelihood no one would expect you to get an offer before at least 1 or 2 business days had passed after the on site interview.

You have some time. Sit back and reflect.

thank you Tarzanman - that's what I needed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search