Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 02:23 AM

235 posts, read 157,475 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job with a company as a tech at a home for people with disabilities. I shortly thereafter received two identical copy and pasted emails stating they are “impressed” by my background (which by the way is completely unrelated to the job) and that they are holding an interview at a certain time in the future, giving the time and address. The email then gives the wage: a very generous $7.25 an hour. But here’s the kicker: to get hired on I’ll have to bring an ID and social security card (fairly standard) as well as my high school diploma or college degree(!).

I find this email is insulting on so many levels.

1. Doesn’t ask my preference for a time to interview.
2. States the wage (no room for negotiation), which is set at the federally mandated minimum.
3. Requires me to prove I am not lying about my educational background.

Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 05:09 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
... For 7.25 an hour.

Yeah, I'd pass this job. It's deplorable what most employers are doing these days.

Old 07-17-2019, 05:10 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
No one is accusing you of lying about anything. It's normal verification. Either choose to comply or move on. The ball is in your court.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:38 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
No one is accusing you of lying about anything. It's normal verification. Either choose to comply or move on. The ball is in your court.
This.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:34 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Did the job require a high school diploma or GED? If yes, they're asking for verification.

If you can't make it on that time, ask for a reschedule.

Yes, it states the wage, isn't that horrible? /s Offer letters never do that! /s

Old 07-17-2019, 02:57 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
The fact that they are paying 7.25 is criminal and you should be looking for other jobs. Really you should not accept anything less than 13, but the way these people have you by the short and curlies you'll have to compromise. But not 7.25!!!!!!

Old 07-17-2019, 03:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Almost all employers require two forms of ID. Not a big deal.

I've rarely had an employer ask me to bring a copy of my diploma.

A job that pays 7.25 an hour is pointless and I wouldn't go to extra effort to provide documentation for them. How much will it cost you to drive to and from work? Subtract that from what you would be earning along with any other work-related expenses. You won't be earning much. I would move on. Even fast food places and babysitting jobs pay more than 7.25 an hour.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:39 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I applied for a job with a company as a tech at a home for people with disabilities. I shortly thereafter received two identical copy and pasted emails stating they are “impressed” by my background (which by the way is completely unrelated to the job) and that they are holding an interview at a certain time in the future, giving the time and address. The email then gives the wage: a very generous $7.25 an hour. But here’s the kicker: to get hired on I’ll have to bring an ID and social security card (fairly standard) as well as my high school diploma or college degree(!).

I find this email is insulting on so many levels.

1. Doesn’t ask my preference for a time to interview.
2. States the wage (no room for negotiation), which is set at the federally mandated minimum.
3. Requires me to prove I am not lying about my educational background.

Yikes.
There are people who don't want to change jobs or work that find all sorts of way to disqualify themselves or the employers, and you have just invented three ways.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:01 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Yikes.
Indeed: "Yikes," that you think yourself so rarefied to be subject to the same parameters of recruitment as other candidates; that you would recriminate a job that has a set wage; but most critically, that you would blanch at the requirement to prove you graduated high school to interview for a job to work in a place where people live. Definitely: "Yikes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
... For 7.25 an hour. Yeah, I'd pass this job. It's deplorable what most employers are doing these days.
Yes, the wages are pitiful, but what is remarkable is that even though that was practically the only thing that merited complaint, the OP chose to enumerate his complain about that it was a set wage instead of how low it was.

Old 07-18-2019, 04:19 PM

235 posts, read 157,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rummage View Post
There are people who don't want to change jobs or work that find all sorts of way to disqualify themselves or the employers, and you have just invented three ways.
I would have went if had the option to dig out my diploma. It is with my mother out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search