Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times

Advertisements

So I had an interview with a lot of situational questions, and I gave specific answers to the questions. I did not get the job. Was told I was not specific enough with my answers. Point taken. Need help trying to find that fine line in how much is too much when giving answers....especially when I was cut off a few times in trying to explain my answers within the interview..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 07:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Yes, there is a balance to be sought when answering questions of this type. Situational questions tend to be seeking answers on two fronts. One is seeking to seeing you know the best answer, another is looking for some detail, making sure you know your stuff.

As an example, if the question is: What would you do if a customer is throwing a temper tantrum in public? (Yes, probably asked in more detail)

A bad answer is: I would see what they are upset about and make them happy. No detail, nothing showing you have the skill.

A better answer is: I would approach the customer, introduce myself, and ask them if I could help them. I would suggest we walk to a private place, away from other customers, where I could get the details of the problem so that I could better understand it and what the customer needs. Once I determine what the customer wants, and build some trust by asking questions to which they will naturally answer yes, building trust, I would give them a refund (or whatever) within company guidelines. This shows you have some basic skills in de-escalation techniques, you understand the important thing is to remove a disruption, an$ you would work to make the customer happy.

That is probably a 30 second answer, balancing end results and details. While some behavioral questions will require a longer answer, that is a judgment call 8n reading the room.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:45 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Explain....they said you were NOT specific enough, and you say you DID give specific answers.

-- Did they cut you off, asking you to be more specific?
-- Did they interrupt you because they didn't understand what you were explaining?

There are all kinds of lists and examples of all kinds of situational interview questions -- AND great answers -- which can be found online. Just google it.

Last edited by selhars; 08-22-2019 at 07:54 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 08:21 PM

For example I was asked how I would handle an situation if I did not get along with my co worker. I responded that I would discuss the problem F2F, try and find common ground with the individual, remember to stay calm and try to find value in the conversation from both the conflict and the resolution.....Wasnt good enough...

Old 08-22-2019, 08:33 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
For example I was asked how I would handle an situation if I did not get along with my co worker. I responded that I would discuss the problem F2F, try and find common ground with the individual, remember to stay calm and try to find value in the conversation from both the conflict and the resolution.....Wasnt good enough...
Wrong answer. I was always told to go to manager, and let him/her handle the situation. In every place I worked F2F "problem handling" was strictly forbidden.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 PM

Depends on the context of the situation. I had manager that promoted problem solving and rationalization among peers before bringing it to the managers attention.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:26 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Also, don't forget to say the obligatory....."and, of course, follow company policies that are in place....regarding reporting or whatever" That can't be your entire answer, but get it in there somewhere.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:36 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Wrong answer. I was always told to go to manager, and let him/her handle the situation. In every place I worked F2F "problem handling" was strictly forbidden.
Places I worked was the opposite, unless you're talking about serious issues like an actual altercation or sexual harassment. But simple cases of two employees not getting along, would be met with "You're adults, you don't have to like each other, but you have to work together."

Old 08-23-2019, 07:13 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
I disagree. I want adults to act like adults and work things out. I have enough things to do without being someone's dad and deciding who doesn't get to watch TV tonight.

Old 08-23-2019, 07:14 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Did they tell you that that answer was not what they were looking for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search