Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2019, 09:13 AM

345 posts, read 252,483 times

Advertisements

I had a phone interview for a Sales Operations Support position with an outside firm that does the recruiting for this company. It went very well, and a few hours later I was contacted by her for the 'next step' in the process-an online timed Excel exam lasting 25 minutes. I told her I would complete it on Tuesday 9/3. On Friday I was contacted by an admin assistant for a face to face interview with the hiring manager. My questions is, do I waste my time and take this test since I obviously have a face to face now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2019, 09:17 AM

456 posts, read 348,955 times
Yes, you take the test to prove your skills and ability. The hiring team will put together all information when making a decision. Not taking the test would look like you couldn't follow instructions.

The hiring manager should already have the test results unless your interview is Tuesday morning. If possible, I'd do the test before the interview.

Old 09-01-2019, 11:10 AM

341 posts, read 293,190 times
Unfortunately if you really want a particular job you pretty much of have to do whatever the employer requests, no matter how confusing, strange, nonsensical or ridiculous it sounds. If they tell you to make a Youtube video of yourself tap dancing on your coffee table while juggling baby seals, you either make the video or you likely won't get offered the job. If you decide you don't want to degrade yourself making stupid videos, they'll simply assume you "aren't taking your job search seriously" and move on to the next candidate

Old 09-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydogg View Post
Unfortunately if you really want a particular job you pretty much of have to do whatever the employer requests, no matter how confusing, strange, nonsensical or ridiculous it sounds. If they tell you to make a Youtube video of yourself tap dancing on your coffee table while juggling baby seals, you either make the video or you likely won't get offered the job. If you decide you don't want to degrade yourself making stupid videos, they'll simply assume you "aren't taking your job search seriously" and move on to the next candidate
Agree with you there! Just wondering if it's ok to wait until after the face to face, which will be Wednesday. I am out of town until Tuesday night and they said I can't do the test from a tablet.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:30 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milesfive View Post
Agree with you there! Just wondering if it's ok to wait until after the face to face, which will be Wednesday. I am out of town until Tuesday night and they said I can't do the test from a tablet.
You told them you would do it Tuesday and they scheduled an interview for Wednesday. Now you are considering not taking the test until Thursday?

The best outcome you can possibly hope for is something neutral. I cannot see how this could possibly help your candidacy, and it will likely hurt your chances.

It is ultimately your choice to play games with their hiring process, but it is not something that I would do.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You told them you would do it Tuesday and they scheduled an interview for Wednesday. Now you are considering not taking the test until Thursday?

The best outcome you can possibly hope for is something neutral. I cannot see how this could possibly help your candidacy, and it will likely hurt your chances.

It is ultimately your choice to play games with their hiring process, but it is not something that I would do.
I told them best case scenario was Tuesday depending on when I arrived home. The response was, no problem.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:46 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,052,712 times
Quote:
I told them best case scenario was Tuesday depending on when I arrived home. The response was, no problem.
Quote:
I told her I would complete it on Tuesday 9/3.
I was basing my opinion on the facts you stated in your post. The OP was phrased quite differently.

I still think you are playing a silly game, as there is no upside for you in delaying, while there may be a downside. I have never seen the benefit in doing the absolute minimum when trying to impress somebody.

Old 09-02-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

I still think you are playing a silly game, as there is no upside for you in delaying, while there may be a downside. I have never seen the benefit in doing the absolute minimum when trying to impress somebody.
I'm not trying to do the bare minimum. I always give 100% in interviews. That's why I asked for opinions. I was more so asking about the order of things and if it was critical that I took the test first (since they did invite me for an interview). I'll take the test Tuesday night no matter what time I get home.

Last edited by milesfive; 09-02-2019 at 12:27 PM..

Old 09-02-2019, 12:55 PM

416 posts, read 409,216 times
Quote:
I'm not trying to do the bare minimum. I always give 100% in interviews. That's why I asked for opinions. I was more so asking about the order of things and if it was critical that I took the test first (since they did invite me for an interview). I'll take the test Tuesday night no matter what time I get home.
Think of the job interview process as a getting to know you test. Sometimes as an employer or you can get turned off just by the fact that someone is slow to respond, does not communicate well, or just plain doesn’t follow instructions. You don’t want to get eliminated at that stage so my advice is play the game

Old 09-02-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Think of the job interview process as a getting to know you test. Sometimes as an employer or you can get turned off just by the fact that someone is slow to respond, does not communicate well, or just plain doesn’t follow instructions. You don’t want to get eliminated at that stage so my advice is play the game
I get it. Employers hold all the power!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search