Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2019, 07:46 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
From your post history, it seems you haven't really resolved your psychological problems, but instead keep running from them. Are you wanting to move for positive reasons or are you trying to run from something you carry with you? You'll thrive much more when you come to terms with it.
Resolving those won't do anything if he is reverting back to being Male and his legal name is still female. He'll be instantly rejected at the interview.

There are some bigger deal breakers employers in conservative markets can actually SEE before they even begin the interaction which is the appearance and name not matching the gender on the application.

Of course in NYC where I live there is a zero tolerance for discrimination of this kind. But the reality is OP keeps going to places that are behind the times. He will be rejected before they even discover anything about his mental state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2019, 12:02 PM

235 posts, read 157,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
From your post history, it seems you haven't really resolved your psychological problems, but instead keep running from them. Are you wanting to move for positive reasons or are you trying to run from something you carry with you? You'll thrive much more when you come to terms with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Resolving those won't do anything if he is reverting back to being Male and his legal name is still female. He'll be instantly rejected at the interview.

There are some bigger deal breakers employers in conservative markets can actually SEE before they even begin the interaction which is the appearance and name not matching the gender on the application.

Of course in NYC where I live there is a zero tolerance for discrimination of this kind. But the reality is OP keeps going to places that are behind the times. He will be rejected before they even discover anything about his mental state.
Maybe I should just drive out to LA again... seems like my life is pretty effed up and I wouldn’t have anything to lose

Old 10-27-2019, 03:41 PM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
When it comes to employment, job search, history etc there's a few things to keep in mind in which most know.

1)There is a difference between a gig/job and career. Most wind up working a job.This is important because they'll be times in your life where you'll have to make good of a bad situation until things improve hopefully by your own doing.

2)Potential employers hate gaps in employment. It used to be a couple of months was the max now it's a couple of weeks in some cases. They consider an applicant motivated if they go out find another job right away. And lazy for the lack of better word if they don't.

3) Legally potential employers cant' discriminate but they do. They try to avoid potential law suit filers, complainers etc. It's not fair but they get away with it.

4) Some employers they'll take everybody and anybody which makes for crappy management and co workers.

Point being get working somewhere doing anything. As they say it's easier to get a job when you have a job.

Should note I know people who went from white collar to under the table cash economy and when they went to look for above board job with benefits they actually asked them-Where have you been? It's like you don't exist for several years. It took several interviews and talking to get the job but he did partly because it was a high turnover position(which is a thought too although jobs have high turn over for a reason but sometimes people learn how to make the best of a bad situation)

Old 11-16-2019, 10:38 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,492,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I put my two weeks in last week. Not sure if I made the right choice. I will be moving back home to the Quad Cities in Iowa/Illinois.

I’m just hoping to god I can find a new job there. I know it won’t be a good one because I’m going to aim as low as it gets.
Good luck! Have you moved yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search