Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:52 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely40 View Post
Welcome to VA! Good job keeping your momentum going. I'm feel like a slacker on my job search when I read your posts.
Not everyone has the luxury (or lack of good sense) to be able to move around the country like I do. That makes it so much easier.
Also with the federal system, working on your resume and applying is the part that takes effort. My resume has been the same, with updates at every move. I can apply to jobs really quickly in that system. After that someone else is really doing the work. I'm just interviewing and tracking.
So don't feel like a slacker on my account!
I guess I'll get a moving thread going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 07:23 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,319,627 times
hunterseat, you are amazing in job searching and moving from one place to another! I really admire you, sincerely. I don't know how you could/can do that all the times. I was thinking to tell you this many times before.

When I hear some people can jump jobs so fast and easily, I feel bad that I stay on one job for 30 years, and still planning to stay. LOL. I got different jobs in the company I work and small "promotions", but not much. That's okay with me. I don't want to be a supervisor/manager to manage people, too much headache. On the other hand, my investments give me much, much more than my salary. Sometimes, in one month I gained more than one year's work. So I don't feel bad about the money though.

When I was in my 20s, I changed jobs a few times. But now I hate going to interviews so much and to be new in a company. When you are new, everybody's watching you and to tell you to do this, to do that. And you have to learn to "fit" in. I hate to have to go out for lunches with the group, to Chicken Wing Tuesdays and Happy Fridays, etc… I don't drink and don't like to talk about this and that so much for 2, 3 hours, so I feel very tired to just sit there to listen to them and smile and nod. I tried a few times, but I wished I did not have to go. People may say you don't have to go if you don't wan to. That's not true. When you are new, you need/have to join them to "fit" in. Otherwise, you will have a hard time.

Here, now, I can do whatever I want and don't do whatever I don't want, as long as I do my work well. My employer/boss is good with me. I'm not crazy about joining so many social events and talk and talk about other people's and my personal things.

Old 05-12-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
hunterseat, you are amazing in job searching and moving from one place to another! I really admire you, sincerely. I don't know how you could/can do that all the times. I was thinking to tell you this many times before.

When I hear some people can jump jobs so fast and easily, I feel bad that I stay on one job for 30 years, and still planning to stay. LOL. <snipped>
Oh I admire your investment capabilities! And thank you.

I'm working towards a federal retirement so I feel like it's the same job. This next/last move is taking me close to friends & family. Is also the general area I'd like to retire.
On top of that the job is a once in a lifetime opportunity, developing a new position from the ground up.

Old 05-12-2020, 04:02 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,189,754 times
Wow, Hunterseat! Exciting news. I hope everything works out for you

Old 05-12-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Wow, Hunterseat! Exciting news. I hope everything works out for you
Thank you!

Old 05-13-2020, 03:06 PM

In case anyone wants follow through on these, I got a couple of emails today.
New Jersey, closed 10/30 Selected (non-sup, not pro) Kind of stalling on this. Near horse rescue that I love.

Tennessee, closed 11/1 interviewed (non-sup, pro) Unreal how long it takes - I'm probably not their first choice and the person selected hasn't jumped through all the hoops. This would have been a good job.

Colorado, closed 3/13 (sup, not pro) Referred
North Carolina, closed 3/16 (non-sup, not pro)
DC, (2 applications) closes 3/30 (sup, pro) Interviewed

VA, closed 4/13(non-sup,not pro) Selected

MA, closed 4/16 (non-sup,pro) Requesting interview. I'm on the fence about wanting to interview. This is Boston. Promotion but crazy cost of living. Much colder than I'd prefer. I need my revised offer from VA.

DC, closes 5/4 (non-sup, pro) Referred THIS JOB WAS PULLED and is being re-advertised. This tells me they probably pre- selected.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:09 PM

The Boston job is about 3K/year more than the Va job. I'll pass on the interview.

Old 05-13-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
The Boston job is about 3K/year more than the Va job. I'll pass on the interview.
I'm such a girl. Changed my mind again. Interviewing. If the Va job can't offer me pay retention then the difference would closer to $14K. The only bird in the hand is NJ at this point. I'm glad their HR is so slow.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:16 PM

The people in Norfolk that wanted to hire me also wanted to give me pay retention. However the bean counters told them no. I declined that offer. Oh well.

The NJ HR people eased the ball back in motion and I'll aim in that direction.

Boston interview tomorrow. Although the job title is my career field, the emphasis is on a skill that normally falls elsewhere. My friend who does that work here helped me study up a little.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:56 AM

Interview went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search