Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:04 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

It is bad all over. Some places worse then others. Starting your own business is not as easy as it seems. What ever idea you have for a business, a hundred other people already beat you to it........and probably lost.

I'm sitting here now during business hours because I have nothing to do. I have a successful business that is now coming up on 30 years old. Not very long ago I had 4 employees and worked 6-7 days a week. Now I am all alone. Business is off 80% from last year. My problem is I sell a luxury rather then a necessity. When times are good, so am I. When people are skimping just to put enough gas in their car to get to work, I suffer.

The only recession proof jobs are in health care and the restaurant biz. No matter how bad things are, people will always go out to eat at least once a week.

In Las Vegas, every 13th house is in some stage of foreclosure. I hear Florida and Southern California is almost as bad. There are more foreclosures now percentage wise to population then there was in 1928. Recession or depression???? You call it. Your government dont want to.

All I can tell you is to hold on. It is going to get much worse before getting any better. I see a total American economy crash unlike ever seen before. Mark my words !!!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:16 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It is bad all over. Some places worse then others. Starting your own business is not as easy as it seems. What ever idea you have for a business, a hundred other people already beat you to it........and probably lost.

I'm sitting here now during business hours because I have nothing to do. I have a successful business that is now coming up on 30 years old. Not very long ago I had 4 employees and worked 6-7 days a week. Now I am all alone. Business is off 80% from last year. My problem is I sell a luxury rather then a necessity. When times are good, so am I. When people are skimping just to put enough gas in their car to get to work, I suffer.

The only recession proof jobs are in health care and the restaurant biz. No matter how bad things are, people will always go out to eat at least once a week.

In Las Vegas, every 13th house is in some stage of foreclosure. I hear Florida and Southern California is almost as bad. There are more foreclosures now percentage wise to population then there was in 1928. Recession or depression???? You call it. Your government dont want to.

All I can tell you is to hold on. It is going to get much worse before getting any better. I see a total American economy crash unlike ever seen before. Mark my words !!!
I also sell a luxury...housecleaning. When I'm not busting my butt on the job...I'm busting my butt on the internet getting my business out there through advertising.
My business has actually increased...OP has to want it.

There is not reason to be sitting home bored...there is still money to be made.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:48 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Have they told you why they won't hire you? Is there something lacking in your applications or in your interview skills?

Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,984,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
It is bad all over....
... The only recession proof jobs are in health care and the restaurant biz. No matter how bad things are, people will always go out to eat at least once a week.
Due to the drop of the dollar's value in combination with incredible increases of most food, restaurants are indeed struggling right now in this poor economy.

You paint a picture of doom and gloom and I wish I could factually state it was off-base; but it is pretty accurate. Where I disagree with some posters is that they have implied that starting a business is not worth the energy right now. I think with the right idea, in the right financial situation, and of course with the right competencies, many can succeed even during this tough economic climate. When you stop having hope and faith you've lost everything of value; I will continue to believe that the media is hyping the negative aspects of everything right now. Although things are bad, it's not as bad as many journalists or news reporters would have you believe to sell more of their news stories. If our President would just stop wasting time dancing and start working to solve domestic issues instead, he might have a slim chance of actually making positive change the upcoming months. If he also did a 180 degree turn regarding Iraq and withdrew our troops quickly in the next month, the cost of the war would no longer be such an economic burden.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 PM

9 posts, read 39,918 times
Default Thanks for the advice but...

I wish it was as easy to get a job or set up your own business as the posters who have replied tell me it is. I can not move from Erie because my husband has a job here. He is keeping us a few dollars from homelessness. We own a home here and can not just move and find a new town to live in. Homes are not selling here, so moving out of town is a big problem. I have tried knocking on doors and offering to help them with tree work, mowing and shoveling (but they do not have enough money themselves and think it is strange a middle aged white women would do this type of work.) I have gone to training on interview and resume skills and have got no where. They tell me I come across very well. There are just no jobs in Erie!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:10 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
If you could qualify for school loans, you could go to school to become an RN. It takes two years, but you'd be in one of the most on-demand jobs out there right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search