Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 05:29 PM

12,837 posts, read 9,037,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
It is. They are. What details do you need?

I'm surprised HR weenies (used to call them weens, but now they're all widdle kidz on top of it) haven't gone to out and out soothsayers. And convinced the C-level that it's all scientific and numbers and stuff.
Well I've never seen a dot test so I have no idea what it even looks like. What do you do, connect the dots like a coloring book?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 06:04 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,197,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well I've never seen a dot test so I have no idea what it even looks like. What do you do, connect the dots like a coloring book?
The term eludes me but I suspect it's an old thing made new. Most of these tests are badly-chosen bits from old IQ and aptitude tests that barely measured anything useful when given to a large population under controlled conditions; throwing them at some mope on a job app site is worthless.

But discussions have made it more and more clear that hiring in most companies is either done by an internal person or a hired service that is about as connected to reality as SEO "content" and for much the same reasons.

Old 06-07-2020, 08:48 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,738,262 times
These tests IMO should not be allowed. I am a horrible test taker and have failed every test miserably for a potential job. It’s such a waste of time, you don’t truly get to know a person.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:14 AM

853 posts, read 647,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
These tests IMO should not be allowed. I am a horrible test taker and have failed every test miserably for a potential job. It’s such a waste of time, you don’t truly get to know a person.
It's just a way to eliminate candidates and are carried out typically by big firms/companies that receive thousands of applications for each job position. The only solution I could find to face them is to be prepared as if it was another college course you have to pass. There are websites that provides paid services of online assessment training for some companies such as P&G, Amazon, British American Tobacco. I've had two online assessment tests for British American Tobacco recently and after two days fully preparing questions I've found on youtube, with a word document prepared of all these questions and answers and I failed, even though I've had the solution of 4 questions in my word document. Worths it? It depends on your career objectives and the time and resources you are willing to spend/sacrifice.

Old 06-08-2020, 01:53 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,862 times
I once knew a car dealer that ran his job prospects to a psychologist to see if they had the killer instincts to be a good car salesman. Come to think of it, he was #5 out of 5 dealers in retail sales in his city.

Our city has a Mazda/Toyota factory presently under construction. They are needing 4,000 production employees. They're running people through a state sponsored job training program at night testing them for all different skills. One week, they're working puzzles. One week, it might be an IQ test. One week they may test hand/eye coordination. Another week, they may test their ability to work hard.

And at the end, they only offer 30% a job to work on a fast paced and demanding assembly line. And they won't be making the big money like auto workers in Detroit once made.

But with a 2.3% unemployment (pre Covid), I wonder where they're going to come up with 12,500 people to go through the state training program? Mazda/Toyota may have outstepped their abilities to staff this factory with such training and screening programs.

The local community college built a huge robotic training program for all the high tech businesses in the area, many of which service GM, Nissan, Mercedes and Honda factories within 100 miles. But the demand for such workers is going to far exceed the supply.

Old 06-09-2020, 08:37 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,896,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Years ago, I applied at AAA, and took a behavioral assessment test, along the lines of What would you rather do, take a walk along a beautiful beach in the sunshine, or work in a coal mine? I failed that one, and I'm glad.
I probably would have failed that one, too. But I've learned over the years that there's a certain way to answer these things. I guess when you selected walk along the beautiful beach they thought you weren't going to be a dedicated enough employee.

Old 06-13-2020, 07:17 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I probably would have failed that one, too. But I've learned over the years that there's a certain way to answer these things. I guess when you selected walk along the beautiful beach they thought you weren't going to be a dedicated enough employee.
Low intelligence on part of the company. Why would I want to expose myself to mesothelioma or asbestos etc working underground?

Old 08-06-2020, 10:42 AM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,498 times
I have to take an assessment to KEEP my job, as they will be laying off thousands. My anxiety is sky high over this

Old 08-07-2020, 01:57 AM

6 posts, read 4,625 times
There's a whole industry out there based on magical thinking dressed up as pseudo-scientific characterisation of people. It starts with some theory that ends up in a book that produces a patented testing system, that is sold to comapnies trying to mitigate the risk of recruiting the "wrong" people.
You can see this effect everywhere, and not just in the recruitment industry. I'm sorry the OP became a victim of it. You have two choices: a) forget about P&G and move on, or b) try again, but research their recruitment processes before your interview. In fact, researching recruitment processes is not a bad idea for whichever company you apply to.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:06 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,057,498 times
Just took one today as my department is being considered for layoffs. It was pretty wacky. Many questions like “Are you a hard worker, or do you like culture?” Huh? Seems like they want to determine who is the anti-social overachiever vs who is the team player. I honestly don’t care anymore. I feel like I just want to get my severance and get out of there at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search