Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 11:22 AM

235 posts, read 157,592 times

Advertisements

Does having a very long employment gap (let's say two years) make you unemployable in the field you were working before the gap occurred? How does a job seeker in this situation prove to employers that they can be reliable again? Will the job seeker need to "start over" at the bottom and work a job such as a grocery bagger or at a fast food restaurant to prove themselves reliable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 03:30 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
It really depends on the reason for the two-year gap. If you were proven to be reliable before the gap, then I don't see much cause for concern.

Every employer is different. Some hiring managers may not care whereas others won't even call you in for an interview once they see that large of a gap.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:14 PM

1,517 posts, read 1,665,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
Does having a very long employment gap (let's say two years) make you unemployable in the field you were working before the gap occurred? How does a job seeker in this situation prove to employers that they can be reliable again? Will the job seeker need to "start over" at the bottom and work a job such as a grocery bagger or at a fast food restaurant to prove themselves reliable?
Just say you went on a personal sabbatical. And, if asked be prepared to discuss how the "experience" makes you suitable for whatever it is you're applying for. I don't believe it will hurt your re-employment chances at all. I've seen people do this and jump back into work with no issues.

Old 04-30-2020, 04:40 PM

235 posts, read 157,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
It really depends on the reason for the two-year gap. If you were proven to be reliable before the gap, then I don't see much cause for concern.

Every employer is different. Some hiring managers may not care whereas others won't even call you in for an interview once they see that large of a gap.
I honestly have no reason for the gap aside from immaturity and laziness. I am planning on taking a crappy job "for now" but am hoping I won't have to make a career out of it. I used to cite my mental health as my excuse for not working but I realize it is actually my poor attitude and personality flaws holding me back.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:57 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Well, what's changed now? Some potential employers may not ask about the gap but some might. I'd find a way to summarize what changed as a result of it...after all, you are realizing you need/want to work. The idea of a personal sabbatical isn't terrible but I would think it through in case someone wants you to enlarge on it. There's a sweet spot between an outright lie and the unvarnished truth. Up to you to find it.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
I honestly have no reason for the gap aside from immaturity and laziness. I am planning on taking a crappy job "for now" but am hoping I won't have to make a career out of it. I used to cite my mental health as my excuse for not working but I realize it is actually my poor attitude and personality flaws holding me back.
Normally, so long as you have a reasonable explanation for the gap (belive me I've heard it all), gaps are not as bad as people say they are. Gaps usually only causes issues because the person can't explain it, tries to gloss it over or has a lame reason for the gap. Even saying it was a dumb immature lazy decision, explaining still goes a whole lot further than having nothing to offer. It's one of those, made the bed, now sleep in it moments.

Old 04-30-2020, 09:28 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
What were you doing before?

Old 05-01-2020, 06:52 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,427,673 times
Fake jobs and career excuse.

Old 05-05-2020, 06:51 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,226,802 times
Quote:
I honestly have no reason for the gap aside from immaturity and laziness.
Then you are royally screwed if you mention this.

Employers discriminate against those who are out of work, and especially if you have a long gap.

You should take some online classes and put that on your resume.

Old 05-06-2020, 05:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
I honestly have no reason for the gap aside from immaturity and laziness.
I am planning on taking a crappy job "for now" but ...
Go back within your own work history (career) for something you've had success with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search