Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 PM

905 posts, read 1,104,287 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

(Warning - a frustrated/occasionally emotional post - please skip to the 4th paragraph if you're just curious about the questions in the thread title).

A quick background on me: I'm a semi-recent graduate (although that status is close to fading away by now) who unfortunately, is still looking for his first "real" job from school. I've been stuck slinging it out in manual labor/warehousing jobs (although what I do is a bit more specialized) - actually the same job I was doing while in college. Unfortunately, because I needed to work full time to support myself while in school, I was unable to do much in the way of internships, because they would have conflicted with the work schedule. I should emphasize this point, because it was either keep working and keep a roof over my head, or go homeless in the process of interning for free...it was not a choice, because I have no local support network.

Anyways - the job search has not been going well - and I'm getting desperate to escape my current employer for something at least marginally better - the problem is everything I've looked into is either a pay cut (can't afford it), sales (not interested in sales at all), or requires additional skills (things I'm willing to/feel I can learn, but they are fairly advanced skills not covered in my degree that require a good chunk of time - and job hunting will simply not be possible while trying to self-learn and work too.)

Another problem - I essentially sacrificed my entire social life to be able to go back to school and get a degree while working. And I didn't really make any new friends during this time, sadly (and I would feel insanely awkward trying to reach out to any former school mates at this point)...in other words, I don't have enough references to list on a job application anymore/no real leads to anything...there's really only one person I feel comfortable using right now (and even then...)...possibly one more in a couple of months...

Now...I read about something that really goes against my own ethics, but at this point, I'm getting desperate enough to consider trying it..."bought", or fake references (from companies that sell it as a service) - mind you, NOT to lie to any employers about having skills that I don't have yet, but simply as "good character" references to help get a decent entry-level job....how much risk is there in using this service, as long as you don't use it to lie about skills?

Secondly - I'm considering just taking any marginally better paying job (except sales) at this point, just to get out of where I work now, and get some badly needed "white collar" experience, as well as being able to continue skill building (as opposed to a 3-way juggle of work, job hunting, and trying to learn new skills when you have no real social network...). How bad will it look if I were to take such a job, and quit after less than a year? (assuming it has no relevance to a desired future position).

Lastly - since I have no real network, or anything going for me...is it time to "give up" and use a recruiting service? Am I just completely S.O.L. at this point, particularly given the impacts of COVID-19 on hiring/the economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 11:24 PM

13,134 posts, read 21,027,138 times
Some of the more in-depth professional background checking firms maintain or subscribe to databases that monitor and track these questionable reference by name, address, phone numbers, emails, etc. If you're getting check by Two Geeks with an App Background Checking LLC, no problem, odd are you'll never get caught. But if they are using a quality company, it may bite you hard.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:05 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,148,192 times
one or two short term jobs will not hurt in the long run. As for the fake references, larger companies have stronger resources and more cash for deep background checks. If its a smaller company and an entry level position, they will simply call the references and do a criminal record check. You are frustrated, understandably so and seeking a job in the toughest market now. Being stuck is stressful. If the fake reference thing looks to be the only way out, go for it. Once you get things rolling make a professional network so you dont have to worry about references anymore. Use Linkedin esp. I have found it helpful for me. Im not a social media guy and have a strong network.

Im not normally one to be a fan of these things, but sometimes we have to fight dirty. Worlds a tough place and its even tougher the last few months.

Old 05-18-2020, 08:55 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,233,516 times
Except for sales and Mcjobs, there are no entry level jobs that require no experience.

So if you don't have internships, you're going to be at a huge disadvantage.

Right now tons of experienced people are out of work and can jump into the job easier than you can.

Use third party recruiters, but never waste time interviewing with someone without a job in their hand. Some do "database entry" mode and that's just a waste of time.

Tip for building up your network: Go on Linkedin and take your time setting up a good quality profile. Connect to all recruiters in your local area. Connect to former co-workers and managers. Connect to other students you went to school with. Join groups in your field and post content. Sometimes you may be able to meet your future employer in these groups.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:39 PM

Ok, I'm finally back with a few updates/questions.

So I have decided against using any fake reference services. I'm finally coming to terms with/accepting the fact that I have absolutely no choice but to network my tail off to try to get the types of jobs I really want. It's something I've been dreading for a long time, but it beats the alternative - so I guess this is a "pull up my bootstraps" moment for me .

But here's another problem - I need to find a new job immediately. Without getting into too much detail, the work environment has become incredibly toxic over the past few months at my current employer - my own boss has even come close to walking out a couple of times , and I anticipate I may be unemployed within a month if I don't find something fast. The only type of job I may have a chance at getting that shouldn't be a pay cut for me...is probably sales...

I've often been told not to take a sales job if I don't want one, but I'm in a situation here where I don't think I really have much choice...so before I start applying to some, these are the questions I had..

- What, if any skills from a sales rep job are transferable to a business/finance analyst position? Please correct me if I'm mistaken, but it's my understanding that sales is mostly (if not all) "soft skills"/won't give you an opportunity to learn "hard" skills on the job.

- How difficult is it to switch from a sales to an analyst role within the same company? This is one reason I was told not to apply to a sales role - that the company will try to keep me pinned down in a role I don't really want/it's better to not waste their (or my) time.

- If it ended up being a job I only stay in for a few months or so, what is the best way to try and leave on somewhat good terms? I don't know just how ugly things will get w/my current employer when I announce my departure, so this does somewhat matter.

- If this is a bad idea, what would be a better type of role to pursue either as a short-term job (that actually pays a livable wage), and/or one that could serve as a stepping stone to the desired roles?

Old 05-29-2020, 03:34 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,108,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post

But here's another problem - I need to find a new job immediately. Without getting into too much detail, the work environment has become incredibly toxic over the past few months at my current employer - my own boss has even come close to walking out a couple of times , and I anticipate I may be unemployed within a month if I don't find something fast. The only type of job I may have a chance at getting that shouldn't be a pay cut for me...is probably sales...
Walking out of what? His living room?

Now is probably the least ideal time in HISTORY to be looking for a job. Why are you even in the same quarters with these people you can't stand?

If they lay you off, you have the greatest excuse in HISTORY.

Go for it and look if you want, but I wouldn't expect anything good until this thing calms down...

Old 05-30-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Walking out of what? His living room?

Now is probably the least ideal time in HISTORY to be looking for a job. Why are you even in the same quarters with these people you can't stand?

If they lay you off, you have the greatest excuse in HISTORY.

Go for it and look if you want, but I wouldn't expect anything good until this thing calms down...
Well to clarify, It's not my own boss/co-workers that are the problem. Without going into detail (in the interest of keeping the thread on topic) it's the relatively new boss of my boss who's been creating more problems than solving them since being hired by the company - from what I know, he's been fired from multiple other companies within the industry for similar behavior/has a lousy track record in managerial positions. My guess is that he was able to be hired by playing his job history as experience/willing to work for less.

I realize the implications of COVID-19 on the job market, but I can't use that as an excuse to not look either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search