Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2020, 08:56 AM

31 posts, read 30,099 times

Advertisements

I took a Phlebotomy course in the summer. Started in June, ended in July. Was a total of 1 month long (3 weeks class, 1 week clinicals at the school where we did everything on each other).

Instructor (during clinicals) kept saying how lucky we would be and get a job in no time because most from the school get hired within 2 weeks of finishing the program. She was getting my class all psyched that they will get a job in no time, myself including (not going to lie there). I know this to be true because lots of students came back and said what the instructor said was true. Most students did get a job within that time frame.

I'm thinking that I was being led on. Maybe they had students say that. I'm here in November and still no job for 2 months, and not looking that way for November too to make 3 months. No one wants to give me an interview because they say I have no experience since I just got done with school. If I did get an interview (I had 4 or 5 since I ended program) they either gave me a hard time straight off the bat, was flakey / strange, they gave me the run-around, or thought I had experience which was why they called me in for interview (once they found out I didn't since graduating, they blew me off).

I even had phone screenings (before they send you on interview, they call to see what qualifications you have - aka screening). They would say no interview because I had no experience as Phlebotomist even though I just got done with program.

How is it that easy to get a job as Phlebotomist and I'm here struggling? That's why I think I was being led on to believe it was that easy. It's near impossible to get a job as Phlebotomist.

I am already getting stressed out, and almost on the verge of going back to school to take another program where I know I can get a job in (something as my last resort - a CHHA or CNA). I know I can get job pretty easily because if I can't get job on my own, there's agencies. If agencies have enough of people that they are sending out and do not need anymore people to hire, my school has an agency that I might be able to get into. It's for CHHA, not CNA. But in either case I may do CHHA since the school might be able to get me in their CHHA agency since I went to school there but the thing is, website says if you can't find a job they will consider you for theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2020, 09:37 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
I think that you were probably sold a bill of goods. Are they required to show their placement rate? Find out if there are volunteer opportunities at non-profits that will enable you to get some experience. It doesn't sound like this school has any placement program. Schools like this probably crank out more graduates that your area even needs.

Old 11-04-2020, 09:47 AM

@ joe from dayton

I have no idea if they are required to post how many people took courses and then get placed, a percentage of whoever gets hired, etc. I do not have that info from school. They did not tell us themselves.

Right, there is no placement services for anything except them advertising they do it for CHHA (if that part was confusing with what I was trying to say). And that's if they actually utilize the agency they actually say they have for CHHA. EX I'm not sure how many people use a school for CHHA students as compared to actual CHHA agencies.

Old 11-04-2020, 10:36 AM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutkowsb View Post
@ joe from dayton

I have no idea if they are required to post how many people took courses and then get placed, a percentage of whoever gets hired, etc. I do not have that info from school. They did not tell us themselves.

Right, there is no placement services for anything except them advertising they do it for CHHA (if that part was confusing with what I was trying to say). And that's if they actually utilize the agency they actually say they have for CHHA. EX I'm not sure how many people use a school for CHHA students as compared to actual CHHA agencies.
Probably something you should have looked into a bit further before agreeing to buy the course. Try to verify the local demand for phlebotomists and course graduates through a third party (such as medical providers who use phlebotomists).

Old 11-04-2020, 11:38 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,764,043 times
Research is always your best friend. If you find yourself second guessing things, do the research to find out what's going on before you take the plunge.

Old 11-04-2020, 11:44 AM

50,724 posts, read 36,424,154 times
These private technical schools are predators, they lie on a regular basis. Their admissions people work on commission, they will always tell you whatever it takes to get you to sign. I had a coworker that this happened to. She was a rehab aid in our therapy department making about $10 an hour with benefits and she had a little girl. She signed up for one of these phlebotomy/medical assistant courses and took out maybe 20,000 in student loans for it, which is ridiculous. She really didn’t even want the medical assistant part of it, but they kind of steamrolled her into it and convinced her it was better. Course it was better for them, they get more commission from that.

When she finds out while she’s doing her clinicals, that no one in this field outside of hospitals higher full-time people any more. The few jobs were at LabCorp, where she did her clinicals, but they don’t hire anyone full-time apparently.

Because she and her little girl needed health insurance, she ended up just staying a rehab aide but now she had those student loan she had to pay back.

There have been bills introduced before, to enact stricter rules regarding these schools and what they can say to students, but of course they have money in lobbyists so the bills never pass. I have read horror stories where people had no idea how much student loan money the school applied for on their behalf.

Old 11-09-2020, 05:27 AM

3,882 posts, read 2,369,754 times
Any time someone recommends you pay to get a certification or course in order to get a job immediately, stop and do your research for a job now as if you had those credentials and see what the demand actually is. Those selling these certifications and courses won't suggest you to do this. Even the non-profit colleges do this too by pushing students to double-major or minor in something else saying it will help with getting a job. They will quote statistics that people with X make Y more money per year, they might be true, but that isn't the only credential those people have and are working in a job you might not even like.

Going forward, getting an education is never a complete waste of time. You might use this to work in another role entirely, but having the background/education in this helps you.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:36 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,972,911 times
Some questions:

First, what is your background without that training? Were you in some form of health care industry already?

Second, are you lookin to get a paying job as a Phlebotomist or gain specific relevant experience while also working where/whatever to pay the bills?

I ask because there could be opportunities to get experience so long as your not expecting to be able survive off of it at this time. If you can survive 6 months doing two jobs or surviving off of savings, you can get the direct relevant experience to be considered "with experience".

Old 11-10-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Some questions:

First, what is your background without that training? Were you in some form of health care industry already?

Second, are you lookin to get a paying job as a Phlebotomist or gain specific relevant experience while also working where/whatever to pay the bills?

I ask because there could be opportunities to get experience so long as your not expecting to be able survive off of it at this time. If you can survive 6 months doing two jobs or surviving off of savings, you can get the direct relevant experience to be considered "with experience".
1st question -- Before getting my phlebotomy degree, I was in a nursing home (jack of all trades for 3 1/2 years). Then I went to LabCorp to get entry level experience as a greeter, but the job never lasted and turned out to be cr@ppy (was there for 3 weeks). Never went well because they never gave me what I was supposed to do, then fired me for something that happened when I was not there and plus had no control over even if I was there.

2nd question -- I was looking into both - Phlebotomist job plus seeing if I can get relevant experience as in an externship or something. Both never worked. Phlebotomy job requirement for paying job is 1 year requirement and that is firm unless you had externship, which I can't get. Places give me a hard time if I ask for externship. My school only had clinicals at the school itself, no externship or anything. Finding an externship on my own is impossible to do by myself. No one wants to take me as an extern after I finished my program (done in July). So that's why both failed terribly. The only thing that I was able to find was the entry level LabCorp greeter job but that failed from what I said in previous paragraph. Nothing seems to be working let alone going anywhere.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:07 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
OP, how old are you? You seem to think that taking any type of classes or degrees equals an automatic job. It doesn't work that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search