Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 09:01 PM

13 posts, read 14,453 times

Advertisements

I graduated college a year and a half ago, and I cannot find anything for work. I want to either get into data analytics or the technical writing field. I think it would be really cool if i could be able to somehow combine the two. My degree was in information technology and management, so i think i had graduated with the wrong degree unfortunately for that. I have been dealing with mental health problems ever since i graduated college and i made the stupid decision of quitting my job as a tech support assistant at a hospital. I took a job at a restaurant food running and I hated it so much, i worked there pretty much until the pandemic lockdown. So pretty much i have only a couple years of experience at a hospital and also just a half a year at a restaurant. I am not interested in working in the food industry so i do not want to go back. I have been using LinkedIn trying to talk to people on there but nothing the recruiters either do not respond or it just dead ends.

I even have been applying at McDonald's or Burger King and i get no response. My problem is I think working at these part time gigs are not going to help me progress. I really don't think i'll enjoy working at burger king or McDonald's. I am willing to be an admin assistant or a janitor or something as long as I can move up in the company. Bottom line is anything i apply to i just get no response and it is so frustrating. Do you think I should just start lying on my resume. As of not i just joined a certificate program for technical writing, because i think i graduated with the wrong degree for it. I feel it might help me change careers, but i still need a career to help pay for it. My other option would be to get a masters degree, but i definitely don't want to put myself in more debt right now. I feel like I have done everything possible to get a job and the longer i stay unemployed the harder it is to get hired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 06:09 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Have you looked for entry level tech support?

Old 12-14-2020, 12:39 PM

23,293 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldstylez View Post
I graduated college a year and a half ago, and I cannot find anything for work. I want to either get into data analytics or the technical writing field. I think it would be really cool if i could be able to somehow combine the two. My degree was in information technology and management, so i think i had graduated with the wrong degree unfortunately for that. I have been dealing with mental health problems ever since i graduated college and i made the stupid decision of quitting my job as a tech support assistant at a hospital. I took a job at a restaurant food running and I hated it so much, i worked there pretty much until the pandemic lockdown. So pretty much i have only a couple years of experience at a hospital and also just a half a year at a restaurant. I am not interested in working in the food industry so i do not want to go back. I have been using LinkedIn trying to talk to people on there but nothing the recruiters either do not respond or it just dead ends.

I even have been applying at McDonald's or Burger King and i get no response. My problem is I think working at these part time gigs are not going to help me progress. I really don't think i'll enjoy working at burger king or McDonald's. I am willing to be an admin assistant or a janitor or something as long as I can move up in the company. Bottom line is anything i apply to i just get no response and it is so frustrating. Do you think I should just start lying on my resume. As of not i just joined a certificate program for technical writing, because i think i graduated with the wrong degree for it. I feel it might help me change careers, but i still need a career to help pay for it. My other option would be to get a masters degree, but i definitely don't want to put myself in more debt right now. I feel like I have done everything possible to get a job and the longer i stay unemployed the harder it is to get hired.
Don't forget that a McJob, no matter how uninspiring will still help pay the bills that keep coming every month. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. Being deceitful on a resume isn't a good idea. If it ever gets exposed you'll lose the job you took that risk to get. Having something like that on your employment record will definitely hurt you. Besides, consider how major the lies would have to be to make a significant difference. We're talking whoppers, not fudging the date on a degree or how many weeks or months you actually worked for someone else.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-14-2020 at 12:50 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 01:09 PM

779 posts, read 424,336 times
Do you treat your job search like it's your full-time job? I realize it's somewhat of a cliche, but there's a reason why it's repeated. Unemployed, trying to get an entry level job with little to no experience in the field, it's a numbers game. You have to brute force it.

How much time are you putting into this? Are we talking 5 applications a day? Or 5 a month?

Old 12-16-2020, 07:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroldstylez View Post
I graduated college a year and a half ago, and I cannot find anything for work. I want ...
What sort of work have you done up to now?
revisit these; perhaps even the same prior employers.
Quote:
I have been dealing with mental health problems ...
What direction does your MH professional point you toward?
Make it happen.
Quote:
...i think i graduated with the wrong degree
Most have.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Location: IN>Germany>ND>OH>TX>CA>Currently NoVa and a Vacation Lake House in PA
3,259 posts, read 4,331,793 times
Fixed your title: Finding a career is impossible for me

You graduated with a fantastic degree, and you should have no problem finding a job. You're doing something wrong. Might want to start with your "mental health issues". I graduated with a BS in English and have had an amazing IT career. Honestly, it doesn't matter what your degree is in. Make the most of each and every opportunity you have presented to you. My first job out of college has in a customer service call center. It sucked, but I made the most of it and was continually given new responsibilities.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:18 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
While you're working on your certif. program for a career change, apply for similar IT jobs to what you had at the hospital. Can you get good references from your former supervisors at the hospital? If so, you can apply to other hospitals, and anywhere else: community colleges, financial institutions (banks, brokerages) and other businesses, universities, etc.

Why are you applying for jobs that only require a HS diploma, instead of jobs you can apply your degree to? You have a great degree, very marketable, plus job experience in that field. You should be able to make a go of that, if you left the hospital job in good standing. Go back to your alma mater, if it's in your current state or residence, and make an appointment with the job placement center, a free service for alums, to get some pointers, if necessary. They'll go over your resume with you, and can also provide some suggestions of where to apply, that you may not have thought of.

If you've discovered you don't like IT work, bite the bullet and get a job in that field as a stop-gap, until you're able to work your way into the type of work you prefer. You're very fortunate to have that degree as an option for paying the bills (you know how well it pays, compared to office admin or food service), as you work on transitioning to a new field. You can put up with it for a year or two, right, OP? Keeping your ultimate goal in mind, and knowing the IT work is only temporary, with a light at the end of the tunnel, you can handle it, right?

Old 12-17-2020, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
While you're working on your certif. program for a career change, apply for similar IT jobs to what you had at the hospital. Can you get good references from your former supervisors at the hospital? If so, you can apply to other hospitals, and anywhere else: community colleges, financial institutions (banks, brokerages) and other businesses, universities, etc.

Why are you applying for jobs that only require a HS diploma, instead of jobs you can apply your degree to? You have a great degree, very marketable, plus job experience in that field. You should be able to make a go of that, if you left the hospital job in good standing. Go back to your alma mater, if it's in your current state or residence, and make an appointment with the job placement center, a free service for alums, to get some pointers, if necessary. They'll go over your resume with you, and can also provide some suggestions of where to apply, that you may not have thought of.

If you've discovered you don't like IT work, bite the bullet and get a job in that field as a stop-gap, until you're able to work your way into the type of work you prefer. You're very fortunate to have that degree as an option for paying the bills (you know how well it pays, compared to office admin or food service), as you work on transitioning to a new field. You can put up with it for a year or two, right, OP? Keeping your ultimate goal in mind, and knowing the IT work is only temporary, with a light at the end of the tunnel, you can handle it, right?
At the time i just thought it would be easier to get a job at McDonalds for the time being. However i don't even get responses from those. Do you think it is maybe something wrong with my resume?

Since I have been out of a job for almost a year, wouldn't it be harder for me to get employed?

Old 12-17-2020, 10:42 AM

I lost all motivation on applying. Every time I seem to apply, I do not get a response back for an interview. This has been going on for a whole year and a half. There is something i am doing wrong but I am not sure.

Old 12-18-2020, 11:21 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
It's usually the resume. There's probably key words you're not using. Has someone looked at your resume?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search