Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 10:31 AM

197 posts, read 279,216 times

Advertisements

This isn't a personal story, I write fiction and I'm working on a story that involves sexual harassment.

My question for managers and HR professionals:

You interview a candidate and ask why they left their last job. The candidates answer is either:

1 - I was being sexually harassed by my supervisor. I didn't file a complaint, I just left. I don't want you to think I left for no good reason. But I can't say more.

2 - I filed a complaint against a supervisor over sexual harassment. I've signed an agreement and that is all I can tell you.

You call the previous employer, they refuse to confirm or deny anything.

How do you take that? Tend to believe them? Not believe them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 11:14 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
I find it hard to believe that someone would actually give those answers.

Old 05-17-2021, 11:43 AM

Why? What should they say?

Suppose the candidate worked for say, a finance company. The candidate says they want a career in finance. You ask the logical question: why did you leave your last job then?

The candidate has to say something. If they don't give a clear answer, it sounds like they got fired.

It would be a difficult situation, and I doubt there's a perfect answer.

Last edited by IamReady2Move; 05-17-2021 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-17-2021, 01:05 PM

I'll be honest about my thoughts.

The manager's best move is to not hire them. There's no way to really know what happened. Maybe they really were harassed; maybe not. Why take a chance? If there's at least one other candidate who is just as qualified, hire that person.

Am I wrong? If I'm wrong, I'd love to hear why.

Old 05-17-2021, 03:45 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
This isn't a personal story, I write fiction and I'm working on a story that involves sexual harassment.

My question for managers and HR professionals:

You interview a candidate and ask why they left their last job. The candidates answer is either:

1 - I was being sexually harassed by my supervisor. I didn't file a complaint, I just left. I don't want you to think I left for no good reason. But I can't say more.

2 - I filed a complaint against a supervisor over sexual harassment. I've signed an agreement and that is all I can tell you.

You call the previous employer, they refuse to confirm or deny anything.

How do you take that? Tend to believe them? Not believe them?

In the real world...

If a candidate says 1 or 2, game over, they're rejected.

Sexual harassment, or any kind of lawsuit claims (for ANY reason) make a candidate radioactive.

There's a rule in interviewing: NEVER bash a former employer. 1) and 2) count as bashing.

A candidate who left without filing a complaint can just say "I left because of personal reasons, and those personal reasons were resolved and I'm ready to work and be a good addition to your team."

Old 05-17-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

A candidate who left without filing a complaint can just say "I left because of personal reasons, and those personal reasons were resolved and I'm ready to work and be a good addition to your team."
In the real world, saying 'personal reasons' won't cut it. Sounds like they were fired. Or can't balance work and their personal life.

Old 05-18-2021, 10:37 AM

Prospective employees don't say, "I quit my job because my boss is an *******." They talk about the lack of opportunity for growth, not being challenged enough at work, etc., etc. Most former employers will do little more than confirm job title and dates of employment. If the name is connected to a sexual harassment complaint, expect the bare minimum.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Prospective employees don't say, "I quit my job because my boss is an *******." They talk about the lack of opportunity for growth, not being challenged enough at work, etc., etc. Most former employers will do little more than confirm job title and dates of employment. If the name is connected to a sexual harassment complaint, expect the bare minimum.

Now the candidate sounds like they have an attitude about their work. Sounds like they'll jump ship the minute they're dissatisfied. They don't sound like a team player.

The candidate is forced to lie. Maybe they did feel challenged and saw opportunity for growth. Maybe they were doing great, but they left because a manager sexually harassed them.

Any decent interviewer is going to detect the candidate isn't being totally honest.

Even if they never say the word 'harassment', they are getting penalized.

Of course the former employer won't say anything. It doesn't matter. The candidate just doesn't have a good answer to a basic question.

When I'm being interviewed, I definitely google '<company name> lawsuit'. If something gets to the filing lawsuit phase, there's a public record anyway.

Old 05-18-2021, 12:05 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,878,006 times
In those two scenarios where the candidate has not personal or professional connections they will simply rule out for future consideration thus making your work of fiction no more than a short story.

Last edited by Sockeye66; 05-18-2021 at 12:30 PM..

Old 05-18-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamReady2Move View Post
Now the candidate sounds like they have an attitude about their work. Sounds like they'll jump ship the minute they're dissatisfied. They don't sound like a team player.

The candidate is forced to lie. Maybe they did feel challenged and saw opportunity for growth. Maybe they were doing great, but they left because a manager sexually harassed them.

Any decent interviewer is going to detect the candidate isn't being totally honest.

Even if they never say the word 'harassment', they are getting penalized.

Of course the former employer won't say anything. It doesn't matter. The candidate just doesn't have a good answer to a basic question.

When I'm being interviewed, I definitely google '<company name> lawsuit'. If something gets to the filing lawsuit phase, there's a public record anyway.
I don't agree with your first sentence. Nothing implies that they will leave in short order or that they are not a team player. A history of short term jobs is an indication of concern.

Yes, they are being forced to lie because the truth will penalize them.

You are writing a work of fiction, and you are overthinking the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search